ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
idc22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Inexpensive tire mounting near Seattle?

Hi everyone, looking for suggestions for reasonably priced tire mounting near Seattle for my R1200gs? I called Ride West, they want $40 per tire, seems steep?
idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
phonybone
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by idc22 View Post
Hi everyone, looking for suggestions for reasonably priced tire mounting near Seattle for my R1200gs? I called Ride West, they want $40 per tire, seems steep?
I believe Seattle Cycle center charges $25 if you bring them the wheel.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
XJRetrofighter
Likes smoke an' lightnin'

Oddometer: 139
Aurora Suzuki just did my tires today on the bike for $30/wheel. Seemed reasonable to me...
XJRetrofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Dawg_enD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Tubeless tires are a lot easier to mount than tubed, you may consider learning to do it yourself. It doesn't take much in the way of tools (a couple 2x4s, 2-3 irons and a spray bottle of simple green. something to protect your rim if you want)

I did it a couple times on my 1150 GS and was under 45 minutes from the time I started until both tires were replaced and all bolts torqued.

The only thing is, I never bothered to balance my wheels. If you want to have them balanced the tool investment is a bit steeper than what I listed.

One other thing..... I took a wheel into a non BMW shop and they wouldn't touch it. Their machinery couldn't deal with the BMW 4 lug bolt, only with center axles. This is actually what sparked me doing my own, since I didn't want to drive from Oly to Fife just to swap in my knobbies. You may want to call whatever shop you decide to use to ensure that they can do the wheel.

-Mike
By the way, it is fucking 3:40 something and I'm hammered and I didn't get laid so fuck off I'm eating cheetos and posting on fucking ADV like a fucking asshole.
Dawg_enD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,791
If your tires are worn out,,
it's time for a new bike!,,new bikes come with new tires.

if your tires are worn in,,
,you have some riding to do.

As opposed to saying,,'if you have worn your tires out',,y'see.
I have never worn tires, personally, out or in,,what would be the reason?
iffn I did wear a tire, it would Shirley be out!,,never in. too abrasive to my sensitivity, I am a rather fragile person.!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Give Mick Vallantine a call

Buy your tyres off the googles, free shipping, no tax. Take them to Mick, he'll probably put them on for you for a reasonable fee.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
runabout
n00b

Oddometer: 5
You might call Don at allmototire.com if your'e the Graham area. He mounted my last set of tires on my 990 ADV at a reasonable price.
runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
farkleface
ridin dirty

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
Buy your tyres off the googles, free shipping, no tax. Take them to Mick, he'll probably put them on for you for a reasonable fee.
Mick is not cheap for tire mounting. He has a machine, but doesn't use it much so admits he is not the best at it. I had a dakar in for service so I brought in some 606's I bought else where to have him "throw on". On the bill he charged me for 2 hours of service, like $160. I went nuts and he adjusted it a bit, but come on!! In his defense I do have 2 rim locks per wheel so it makes it more difficult, but I can do it by hand in that amount of time. Don't take this the wrong way as he is a stand up guy, does good work and is cheaper than most any bmw shop (except for tires)
farkleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
allmototire.com

+1 on Don at allmototire.com He's done 5 different sets for me on my cruisers, sportbikes, and just yesterday my new Tiger 800. All my neighbors use him and we've never had any issues.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Ducati Bellevue will mount a pair of motorcycle superstore tires for $60 on the bike. You can even have motorcycle superstore ship them straight to the shop. I brought my Uly in there. Can't complain. In and out in about 2 hours. I think they charge more for whatever other tires though, they were interested in my purchase receipt.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
Not to spam this thread or anything, but if you buy tires from us at Ridewest, we will mount and balance them for $10 per wheel on the bike.
Makes sense to me.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 218
Thats reasonable, considering "on the bike" mounting. Standard shop practice is free "wheels off the bike" mounting for tires purchased at the shop, correct?

I try to time my need for tires with Aurora's big spring sales event. Can usually get a decent tire mounted up and everything for a good bargain like that. With my bikes running double commuting/dirtbiking duties lately though, it might be time to allot cash for a second set of DR wheels....
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
Thats reasonable, considering "on the bike" mounting. Standard shop practice is free "wheels off the bike" mounting for tires purchased at the shop, correct?

I try to time my need for tires with Aurora's big spring sales event. Can usually get a decent tire mounted up and everything for a good bargain like that. With my bikes running double commuting/dirtbiking duties lately though, it might be time to allot cash for a second set of DR wheels....
This is what I've done, and it's well worth it. FYI, a DR 350 wheel will mount right up to the 650. It's an 18" rear and gives you more rubber options.
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
why not just buy some irons off amazon prime and do it yourself?

Tires are a pain in the ass to do which is why people charge accordingly. some are easy, some are hard, but you have to charge the same for all of them.

D&S in beaverton does them for $25 a piece off the bike

edit: and you only need to static balance them. a piece of pipe and some cinder blocks and youre golden.
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
Do I have money coming back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
Not to spam this thread or anything, but if you buy tires from us at Ridewest, we will mount and balance them for $10 per wheel on the bike.
Edit: Turns out I got a $108 credit on another invoice. Sorry for the mistake

kuroda_tadayoshi screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 06:30 PM Reason: correction
kuroda_tadayoshi is offline   Reply With Quote