Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #181
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
ATGATT isn't about preventing accidents (although a face shield does help a smidge in that department, as do goggles). ATGATT is about what happens after the accident begins.
That's the reason why said picture isn't really suiting the ATGATT thing. It's good to show 15 year olds what ATG is able to prevent, but it includes absolutely no reason for ATT. And it's very sad, that the real problem is overlooked because of the ATGATT hype.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #182
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
That's the reason why said picture isn't really suiting the ATGATT thing. It's good to show 15 year olds what ATG is able to prevent, but it includes absolutely no reason for ATT. And it's very sad, that the real problem is overlooked because of the ATGATT hype.
And this comes full circle to why I asked the question which was prompted by a few comments over on the Killboy thread about a chick on a crusier draggin her left floorboard. Becasue she was wearing little gear and wasn't hanging off the bike she got called out as a FAIL, yet the guys in full leathers on sport bikes hanging off while clearly exceeding the speed limit are prasied for their form regarldess how fast or wreckless they are riding.

Believe me, I know that helments and good gear are a wise choice and use them for all most all of my riding but the rider himself has more bearing on safety than his/her gear.

Just yesterday a guy was killed here when a tractor trailer pulled out in front of him from an industrial site onto a 4 lane road. The rider was wearing a helmet but not sure about what other gear. He later died in the hospital from blunt force trauma. Could the accident have been prevented...no idea, the only thing that definatley would have saved him is not making contact with a semi.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #183
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
You must have missed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I like to ride motorcycles. I REALLY like to ride motorcycles. I like it so much I will go so far as to take a few normal and rational steps to preserve my ability to ride EVERY day. I believe that it is reasonable and prudent to don a modicum of protective attire to that end.
Gear allows you to get back up and ride again that much sooner. That's argument enough for me.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #184
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
And this comes full circle to why I asked the question which was prompted by a few comments over on the Killboy thread about a chick on a crusier draggin her left floorboard. Becasue she was wearing little gear and wasn't hanging off the bike she got called out as a FAIL,
That picture...

shows the woman with the brakes on, leaning away from the turn forcing the bike to be leaned further on the floor board, damn near on the edge of the pavement(running WIDE in the turn), with no gear, not to mention running a car tire.
IMO she is obviously blowing the curve or she would be further(by about 5') into the travel lane. Maybe not enough to wreck but damn close to it. What do you think is going to happen to her if she...

A: lifts the tire off the pavement or

B: runs off down the bank

IMO the whole package is a fail, not just the lack of protection and I'm sure that was the reason for getting a "fail" from the rest of the inmates.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #185
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
Gear is cheaper than medical bills. Sitting around waiting to heal is less fun than just fixing bike in the garage.

Full-face, gloves, riding jacket, and boots at a minimum around town. Long rides/bad weather and it's full riding gear head to toe.

Haven't "laid it down" since the 90s and hope to keep it that way.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #186
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,233
Quote:
And this comes full circle to why I asked the question which was prompted by a few comments over on the Killboy thread about a chick on a crusier draggin her left floorboard. Becasue she was wearing little gear and wasn't hanging off the bike she got called out as a FAIL, yet the guys in full leathers on sport bikes hanging off while clearly exceeding the speed limit are prasied for their form regarldess how fast or wreckless they are riding.
So this begs the question, who is more wreckless? The rider going above the speed limit, but fully able to keep his bike between the lines and arrive at the other end of the road safely, or the rider who is waiting for their floorboards to touch down to warn them they've over ridden their bikes ability and then crosses into the oncoming lane or rides off the side of the road?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #187
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
In my opinion it's the combination that matters. No gear, no hang-off, no dragging parts, cruising slowly - that's fine. Full gear, knee down, pegs down, elbow down - fine too. No gear dragging parts? Well... not the way to go for me, but everyone to his likes. Dragging parts on a crowded road? Not fine.

Quote:
Believe me...
Ya know, everytime I hear someone saying "believe me", my second-hand car dealer alert virtually blows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
You must have missed this:
Neither did I miss it nor is it related to what I said.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #188
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
I don't know about everyone else but I at least jacket with armor, full face helmet, boots and most of the time just jeans even though I live in Phoenix where in the Summer it can hit 115+. Besides the protection this gear offers, I think it looks cool and makes me feel more verile
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #189
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
So this begs the question, who is more wreckless? The rider going above the speed limit, but fully able to keep his bike between the lines and arrive at the other end of the road safely, or the rider who is waiting for their floorboards to touch down to warn them they've over ridden their bikes ability and then crosses into the oncoming lane or rides off the side of the road?
There are some that think having all the gear and little skill is "bad ass" and having little gear and skill is somehow not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

This is pretty bad ass.

This is not.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #190
Edmundo Amado
Andale, andale!!

Oddometer: 32
A picture is worth a thousand words

Here are the braves, the ones that think that ATTGATT is overrated

http://www.stunterschool.com/crashes_roadrash.htm
Edmundo Amado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #191
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Amado View Post

I ain't that tough.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #192
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
as the saying goes... "If you're gunna be stupid, you better be tough"
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #193
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Amado View Post

most of the photo look like no full face helmets when they came off. i wonder if he will go and buy one now? i think so.

the photo show the main reasion i stop using a open face helmet years ago and only use a ff one
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #194
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post
as the saying goes... "If you're gunna be stupid, you better be tough"
Yup. Drill Instructors told us that ALL the time.

If I'm going over 25-30 mph I wear all the gear. If I'm staying on residential streets, I'm willing to forego the riding pants (for jeans) but wear everything else.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #195
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 247
Meh

This subject has been debated on every motorcycle forum I have ever been on. Same with oil. It never ends well.

If you wan't to wear it - wear it. If you don't - don't.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote