ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #241
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer
 
outsidein's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 431
Interestingly I recently went to a wholesale event advertised on TV. Screaming Eagle, a manufacturer of mostly cruiser style ware was renting a space for 3 days and selling their gear directly to customers at "insanely" low prices.

They had leather jackets from $80 and up. Interestingly none of their 15 or so jacket styles had armor. Also none had leather that felt thick enough to resist tearing or wearing through in a slide or double stitching. Their "motor cycle gloves" were leather and $10 but were also paper thin leather with no armor or reinforcements. Their $20 bargain priced helmets were not DOT approved. They do not make motorcycle pants but their leather chaps were only $40.

Someone should add the provision to ATGATT that it also matters what kind of gear you are wearing. Funny thing is almost every cruiser rider there thought their gear was awesome and this was a deal of a lifetime. There was a guy next to me buying chaps for him and his wife because he wanted to feel safe.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #242
garbagekid0
Adventurer
 
garbagekid0's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Oddometer: 45
lol i went to a place nearby called the tri-county, they have all types of different shops set up with discount prices in a warehouse. they had a "leather jacket outlet" and i was curious because they had "motorcycle jackets" according to the sign.

i look and none of them have any pads or armor, just some double layer leather in the typical spots, shoulder, elbow etc. the price? $200!!!! you can get a budget version of proper gear at any of the moto sites we use to buy gear and it'd be tons better than this crap he was selling. the worst was that the store guy kept following me and telling me how good of a deal it was....
garbagekid0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #243
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS
 
mb90535im's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NW GA
Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
I don't think AGATT is over rated. 6 weeks ago it save my life. When the gear looks like ground hamburger, imagine what one's skin would look like with out it.
It would probably look pretty bad and definitely be painful, but not likely fatal. So, to say "it save my life" (sic) is maybe just a little bit of an exaggeration.

BTW, I don't think ATGATT is overrated either because I hate pain.
__________________
"Dang man I'm impressed." - Willy-B
"Are you OK? ... Are you sure you're OK?" - Honcho
"Disturbing and funny, all at the same time." - MrTwisty
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #244
wmax351
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Marin County and Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin44 View Post
Well said.

I usually wear all the gear. Occassionally I wear jeans with armour underneath instead of leathers or textile pants.

I couldn't care less what someone else wears - unless they're family or on the back of my bike.

The only thing that really makes me see red is when the rider is protected and the passenger is not.
That is very true. I'll go without gear, and give it to my GF. I'll do jeans and jacket only, and give my GF my leather pants. If I have a half helmet and a full helmet, the full helmet goes to the GF.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #245
wmax351
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Marin County and Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
There are some pretty nice sub 4lb tents out there these days. Just to name drop the Mountain Hardware Skyledge 2.1, though that's far from the only one. Not much heavier than a fully decked out hammock.

I've been reading around on Hammocks forum as well as ultra light backpacker, it's amazing the lengths those guys go to to shed a few ounces, but all their pack lists and gear reviews can help get your pack weight down to something sane even if it's not the super ultra light weight their shooting for.

I've been using runners now, but I don't backpack off the bike. Day hike, but not much more than that.


Last summer, I was at 14 pound base weight for Philmont (11 days). Included tent and rain gear.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #246
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
Last summer, I was at 14 pound base weight for Philmont (11 days). Included tent and rain gear.
That's just nuts... Probably frikken awesome to carry!

I know my pack on my first few camping trips was back in the 80's was in the 40-50lb range. Like dropping a boulder on your back.

The first camping trip with my buddy he carried a case of can coke 4 miles to the camp site, and he also had the bright idea of bringing his old phone book to use as kindling.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #247
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe
 
ChuckS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Too Close to Detroit
Oddometer: 637
Wear what you please- your choice. No flak, no problem

I wear all the junk. I've bled enough, don't want to bleed more. I'm not a big fan of the avoidable pain thing either.

Motoport top & bottom, FF helmet, Sidi boots, armored gloves- I've got the full Power Ranger look.
__________________
SPOT track of my Newfoundland adventure
What? Me Worry?

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #248
fuelish
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
It would probably look pretty bad and definitely be painful, but not likely fatal. So, to say "it save my life" (sic) is maybe just a little bit of an exaggeration.

BTW, I don't think ATGATT is overrated either because I hate pain.
It does open the opportunity for a nice infection. Someone I know(who is a text book squid) has been fighting a chronic infection started when he peeled open his calf after a bike get off. He has been trying to take care of this for over two years, and is now going to specialist out of state in a last chance attempt to fix the problem. The next step is amputate.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #249
wmax351
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Marin County and Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
That's just nuts... Probably frikken awesome to carry!

I know my pack on my first few camping trips was back in the 80's was in the 40-50lb range. Like dropping a boulder on your back.

The first camping trip with my buddy he carried a case of can coke 4 miles to the camp site, and he also had the bright idea of bringing his old phone book to use as kindling.
The food wasn't light, though. They gave us canned stuff. My weight was pushing 40 pounds for most of the hike, just from the food. Worst part was that it was in a backpack made for 35 pounds, tops.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #250
JetGrl
FJR Pilot
 
JetGrl's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
I don't think AGATT is over rated. 6 weeks ago it save my life. When the gear looks like ground hamburger, imagine what one's skin would look like with out it.
I have been riding for more than 40 years. I always assumed it was a matter of when not if as long as I kept riding. It happened on Jan 1st, I went a little wide in a corner going about 100 mph and hit the gravel near the edge on the rural 2 lane highway through the desert. Went rock diving along the side of the road... I'm convinced my gear saved my life. It was pretty shredded but I was intact without a broken bone. I did lose the vfr1200f I was riding.

Broke my heart too, brand new with only 2500 miles.

How else do you think a 60 year old woman could walk away almost unscathed? I never thought much of the plastic and foam they called armor but let me tell you, it works.

You are all free to think it is not "cool" but you get to live with your choices. I personally know someone who has a head injury from a motorcycle accident 25 years ago, he has never been the same since. He is more like a child, never was the same again.

Your choice.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy II using Tapatalk
JetGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #251
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wraith Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 1,045
I just don't get how the "all the time" part of ATGATT, namely riding with all the gear even if you only go 20mph to the supermarket the day before your 100mph crash, does change anything about said crash in comparison to a MOTGMOTT rider who decides for no gear at 20mph and all gear at 100mph.
__________________
"Why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else."
"Because we shouldn't have to."
Wraith Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #252
PerfectZebra
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PerfectZebra's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: New Jersey
Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
I just don't get how the "all the time" part of ATGATT, namely riding with all the gear even if you only go 20mph to the supermarket the day before your 100mph crash, does change anything about said crash in comparison to a MOTGMOTT rider who decides for no gear at 20mph and all gear at 100mph.
As many have said before, if you knew how and when you were going to crash you would only need your gear at that time. Since it could happen any time, it's not a bad idea to be prepared all the time. Just because you're going 20mph to the grocery store doesn't mean you won't get rear ended by a distracted driver going 50mph, or some other scenario like that. There are some accidents that are tougher to avoid. If driving a car to the store, you wouldn't think, "Hmm, I'm only going to the grocery store so I won't buckle my seatbelt, and let me disable my airbags while I'm at it." Why not give yourself as big of a safety net as you can?
PerfectZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #253
frog
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,741
You may think that your gear will help but I've seen different. Some of the stuff they sell as "riding gear" won't even protect you in a slow speed crash.

I had joe rocket mesh pants and jacket that I wore in the summer. One day in tipped over turning around and landed on my knee and elbow. The seems on both jacket and pants blew apart and I ended up scrapping my skin. If the gear can't take a 5 MPH crash it will definitely not protect you at speed.

So if you think your being safe by attgat you may want to look at the gear your wearing and ask yourself if its really "riding gear" or just overpriced shit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Thank you MX1WEST, Highway Dirt Bikes Lindsay Machine, Smart Performance, SPS for the Support
257x Solo Baja 1000
If I had not some strength of will I would make a first class drunkard--Shackleton
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #254
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetGrl View Post
I have been riding for more than 40 years. I always assumed it was a matter of when not if as long as I kept riding. It happened on Jan 1st, I went a little wide in a corner going about 100 mph and hit the gravel near the edge on the rural 2 lane highway through the desert. Went rock diving along the side of the road... I'm convinced my gear saved my life. It was pretty shredded but I was intact without a broken bone. I did lose the vfr1200f I was riding.

Broke my heart too, brand new with only 2500 miles.

How else do you think a 60 year old woman could walk away almost unscathed? I never thought much of the plastic and foam they called armor but let me tell you, it works.

You are all free to think it is not "cool" but you get to live with your choices. I personally know someone who has a head injury from a motorcycle accident 25 years ago, he has never been the same since. He is more like a child, never was the same again.

Your choice.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy II using Tapatalk
I'd say it was all luck, if you'd have hit a solid object square on all that gear wouldn't have done a damn thing. The only piece of gear tested and rated for impact is your helmet.

I guess it takes having been injured with some regularity to realize there is no rhyme or reason to it and plastic and foam does very little other than reduce abrasion and bruising up to a certain point.

There is always the option of not riding 100mph on public roads with a meat grinder as your run out, but I guess that is too simple.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #255
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 5,915
With the sole exception of the helmet claims of "saving my life" are exaggerated. While good gear will surely save some hide road rash is often debilitating and extremely painful but rarely (if ever) fatal.
__________________
A lie has no feet......it can't stand alone.............
Jason Newsted
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014