Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Wear whatever you want. I don't really care. Its your life.
What he said.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,046
I wear the gear cu's I break the speed limit, a lot.
When I come off it's going to hurt, I know this.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
All of it all the time. I'll take the car if the ride is shorter than the time it takes to get suited up. It sucks and I miss some opportunities to ride, but I have a strong attachment to my skin. I've used all the gear I wear.

That said if you want to ride in flip flops and shorts, that's your descision.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #19
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

What say you?

How many of you guys wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME you ride a bike, and if you don't wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME why not?

I say I hope you have good private health insurance and that it's all paid up cause I just assume my tax dollars don't go to waste keeping someone on a respirator for the rest of their life because they like the feel of the wind blowing through their hair.

ATGATT has saved me at least one visit to the orthopedic surgeon.

BEEMERPECKER screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 08:01 AM
BEEMERPECKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Is ATGATT overrated?
No.

daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
outrunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Ouch!

Andy...............................ATTGAT fan.
outrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #22
Crax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'm admittedly a most of the gear all the time guy. I always have a helmet, jacket, gloves, but am not 100% on the actual riding pants and boots. Any trips or longer rides, I always have those on as well.

It's all about acceptable risk for me. I don't ride with sandals and shorts ever, but I'm ok with riding down to the store in levi's and tennis shoes. I don't go riding the canyons in them though. I realize I could do better, but I'm ok with not being 100% perfect about it.
Crax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Personally i don't care what anyone wears,me i dress for the crash not the ride!If ya have a $10 head wear a $10 dollar helmet
I have a $400 dollar head. When I rode off road I wore all the gear but on the street I wear what ever I feel comfortable in. Sometimes its a mesh jacket, jeans and boots. If its hot and I'm not going far I'll wear shorts and a Tee. I've been riding for over forty years and haven't gone down on the street yet so naturally I feel invinceable. I think if I had one them there rocket bikes I would wear full leathers because it would be just a matter of time until I bit the big one.........If someones wants to wear all the gear or no gear at all, more power to them. The important thing is to ride and occasionaly wave.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #24
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
My only issue with ATGATT is that for those of us who aren't just hobbyists but use our bikes for transportation, all that gear is incredibly cumbersome. If I'm meeting friends for dinner, I'm not gonna wear textile pants.

I swear by my mesh jacket, though. IMO, some mid-cuffed boots, a mesh jacket, full face helmet and gloves is plenty of protection if I'm bopping around town.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #25
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,088
How did I ever survive to 50+.

Now that broken and battered parts don't heal so fast:

Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
My only issue with ATGATT is that for those of us who aren't just hobbyists but use our bikes for transportation, all that gear is incredibly cumbersome. If I'm meeting friends for dinner, I'm not gonna wear textile pants.

I swear by my mesh jacket, though. IMO, some mid-cuffed boots, a mesh jacket, full face helmet and gloves is plenty of protection if I'm bopping around town.
but walking into a nice restaurant in the squeaky boots is part of the fun
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,443
Not that this is a secret to any of us, depends on the situation. Tee Bone a pick up truck at 50 Mph, well your dead gear or not. Low side on your own and not hit anything I am thinkin you be dam glad you agatt instead of jeans and a tee shirt.

That said I think there are some stupid things on both sides. One of my favorites is after an accident were someone tells of the doctor saying to them "if it weren't for the gear you would be dead". That's . Cause less that Doctor went and and took detailed measurement/reconstructed the accident and made calculations of the forces involved to even hazard that type of guess, it is just .

Human beings aren't always logical and consistant, I am no different. Some times I wear all the gear sometimes I don't.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
istephens
FJRian

Oddometer: 125
AGATT for me

I ride as much as I can, with the season being so short here in Alberta - to/from work, errands, pick up pizza, just to ride, and long distance trips.

My usual gear is:
Aerostich
AlpineStars WebGoretex boots
Motoport Kevlar gloves
Schuberth C3 helmet

On occasion I also wear a TourMaster jacket and pants, and whe I'm feeling like being more "stylish", I'll wear Bohn Underarmor under jeans.

One of the reasons I got my Aerostich was that it's so easy to put on over street clothes and easy to take off. For the last few months, except for winter, I commuted to work - Aerostich over dress pants and shirt, carried shoes and jacket. Same for meetings out of the office.

I can understand the reluctance to wear AGATT in the south where it can get frikkin hot, but it never gets that hot here!

BUT - to each his own, I fully support anyone's right to not wear anything protective on a bike. I choose to go AGATT.

Ian
2008 VStrom DL1000 Silver/Black
istephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #29
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,858
I fight this battle daily. I've been riding for about twelve years and just had my first accident a few months ago, on a hack of all things. I flew across a sharp metal edge of a guardrail. I just happened to be wearing a Bilt Storm suit thag I bought two days prior. The jacket tool the impact of a shard of metal, keeping me from getting gutted. The leg armor saved my left leg from being snapped, albeit, I did get a little lasting nerve damage out of the deal. My leg likes to go numb on top of my shin, which is a small price to pay for walking away alive.

However, as summer looms, wearing all the gear is getting harder. I like to commute on the bike, but the morning uniform for first formation is shorts and a tshirt, with running shoes. Throwing on all the gear to legally ride on post, then getting it all off before formation, only to put it back on to ride to the shower, then off when I get there........

Yeah, you can see where this gets to be a pain in the arse and ends up costing me a lot of time.

I'm on the lookout for a set of armored mesh pants that zip all the way up the leg like my storm suit. That should make being ATGATT a little more reasonable.

Sent from my DROID 2 using Typotalk

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,715
Is ATGATT overrated?

Not in my book.

In a slow spill I had, my Fox knee guards saved me from a permanent limp. Or possibly permanent disability.

My noggin has been kept intact on several occasions by Arai helmets.

Fieldsheer leathers let me walk away from a 45+mph lowside without a scratch.

MotoGP kangaroo leathers let let me walk away from a 80+ mph lowside and subsequent 100+ foot slide and tumble with a dime sized strawberry on my elbow.

I like gear. Lots of it.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote