http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ers/23188.html
03 R1100S BoxerCup Replika
07 K1200GT SE ..... and a 330Ci for office days
slparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #527
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
At the age of 19 I had a solo crash that ended up in the gravel parking lot of a slaughterhouse. I was wearing jeans ,a sweater and tennis shoes. I had sanded down my ankle to exposed bone with embedded gravel and the key ring in my front pocket managed to break and fishhook through my jeans and my hip. My ankle required a skin graft many weeks later.
The ankle wound bandage was changed weekly with the doctor asking "how do you want the bandage removed---slow and painful or fast and painful"?

With the gear I wear today I would have only hurt my pride!
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #528
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Here in So Cal it can get pretty hot. If I'm running to the store (3 blocks away, very light traffic) I'll wear jeans, jacket, gloves and helmet. Anything longer than that and I gear up.

My KLIM Latitude suit is cooler than jeans and jacket, and affords much more protection.

Ride safely!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #529
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Here in So Cal it can get pretty hot. If I'm running to the store (3 blocks away, very light traffic) I'll wear jeans, jacket, gloves and helmet. Anything longer than that and I gear up.

My KLIM Latitude suit is cooler than jeans and jacket, and affords much more protection.

Ride safely!
Mesh Riding suit. Sweat washes off.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #530
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Mesh Riding suit. Sweat washes off.
Came across stuff say mesh gear fail at speed and left people with road bun ect.

I just wear my textil as I now it will work but have bined my mesh jacket when I came across bad mesh reviews.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #531
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,356
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #532
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I like the "inconvenient" posts. Gear takes too long to put on? A stich onsie (and others I'm sure) takes less than 30 seconds. Pants and jacket, less than a minute. 30 seconds? I can't get my golves on much faster.
I'm old and fat to boot, so you slender athletic types should have no problem without the extra weight and rolls.

Just saying.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #533
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
Came across stuff say mesh gear fail at speed and left people with road bun ect.

I just wear my textil as I now it will work but have bined my mesh jacket when I came across bad mesh reviews.
Depends on the Mesh.

I've crash tested Motoport Mesh, and it holds up well.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #534
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
I like the "inconvenient" posts. Gear takes too long to put on? A stich onsie (and others I'm sure) takes less than 30 seconds. Pants and jacket, less than a minute. 30 seconds? I can't get my golves on much faster.
I'm old and fat to boot, so you slender athletic types should have no problem without the extra weight and rolls.

Just saying.

and what does your 30 seconds do for you ?

reduce your risk of injury on a ride from 0.00000015 to 0.00000002 ?

can you change oil in 30 seconds as well ?
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #535
it happens
sh it happens

Oddometer: 142
After not having a street bike for about 20 years I got back into it last year. Having no kids and wife any more makes it easy. I bought a F650GS and put on some new rubber last spring. I was out ripping around trying the new tires and got to high on the sides. Laid down the bike at about 40 K. for what ever reason that day I put on my NFPA rated Redwing boots. After I got the bike back up and made sure it was OK I checked myself. Jacket was toast. Jeans were toast. Redwings double toast. Me broken rib. Bike broken mirror. This spring at the Vancouver bike show I bought myself some Joe Rocket True North riding gear. The stuff is great. With the liner out it is great.
it happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #536
whvaughn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post

Ride safely!
In cases like this I do think about guys how tour/race bicycles. ATGATT for them is spandex shorts, t-shirt, helmet and gloves. In many cases I imagine they reach speed exceeding the 20-30 miles an hour one might hit on a motorcycle driving a couple of blocks in town. On one of my trips out west (ATGATT by the way - I'm not naysaying here, just briging up something I've been thinking about) I ran into a couple guys who were on touring bicycles. They were hitting some decenct speed riding through the mountains (well, down - not so fast up).
Like I said, not an argument for or against, just something I've been thinking about
whvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #537
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 266
I try to wear all the gear, but with work I can't... I have to wear my work boots to work as I have no place to store riding boots and don't have the time to put my work boots on once I get there. I think the only thing that keeps me from taking the bike for EVERYTHING is the fact that I ride a harley with an evo motor, and warm up takes a while... I can't just start it and go like I could with most modern bikes. With that being said I still ride 95% of the time anyways... helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants, and real riding boots on the weekend.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #538
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
ATGATT is fine sounding impractical nonsense....

Trumpeted by those into motorcycling as a hobby and a lifestyle, but unlikely to be endorsed by those who ride day in, day out to get around, as I have for nigh on five decades, and 500,000 km.

Motorcycles outnumber cars three to one in these tropical parts, and you would be hard pushed to find a single ATGATT among the riders.

I teach at a university where probably 99% of the students and at least 50% of the staff ride. Do I see carnage everywhere? No way..... I do see the same careless few sporting the odd injury more often than they should. For the more careful majority it is rare.

I dress for what I am going to do, and weather.... and pop an open face helmet on my head if I am heading out on to the road. If I am off to the beach I don't want to be lumbering a whole lot of motorcycle clobber around along with my surf board or snorkelling gear.

For a day on a track, exploring the limits (and maybe going beyond), I would suggest ATGATT for the greater risk.

It doesn't take much of a tap on the bare head to end all. As for the rest of the body, if shit happens it might take a bit of time, but it will mostly heal.

The last time shit did happen for me was in 1976..... I broke my left thumb and right hand little finger, I realised later, but didn't seek medical attention. I still had a couple of hundred miles to go and an exam to sit a couple of days later........ And I learned, even though I was not at fault, I should be more aware of what is going on around me.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #539
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
Are you mental? How fast do those 125cc scooters run? 35 mph? Try a get off at 70 mph on an American highway and tell me that wearing protective gear is overrated.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #540
Neal J Hinerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I see the personal fable is alive & well in regards to wearing ATGATT, with lots of people paddling their boats down the river of DeNile.

I've been riding for 40 years, and I've had one serious get-off, in 1986, a high side at 60 mph after a tank slapper. The only reason I survived it was my martial arts training took over and I did a bunch of forward rolls. I separated my left shoulder and pulled the top two ribs on the left side away from my sternum.

I was wearing a full face helmet, Levi jacket & jeans, leather work gloves, tennis shoes and a Cordura nylon backpack. The helmet had the little snaps to hold the visor down. The ones on the chin were ground down to the surface of the helmet. Tore the left shoulder of the jean jacket. Burned a hole in the palm of the right glove. Parts of the backpack and my right tennis shoe were abraded from the pavement. All in all I was very lucky. And I increased my collection of motorcycle gear after that to improve my protection.

It takes me 2 minutes to put on my full face helmet, Olympia Jacket & Pants, Knox Recon Gloves, Icon Knee Guards and Sidi Vertigo Boots. It takes far less time than one visit to an ER.

I consider it insurance. Do you have insurance on your car or bike? Why not on your body? You can always buy a new car or bike. Try replacing your body.

You get to choose your level of protection when you ride. I choose ATGATT, and I upgrade my gear to better quality as I can afford to.

In regards to cyclists wearing less protective gear. Every ounce of weight that you carry while on the bicycle is an ounce you have to provide the power to move. Why do you think bicycles continue to get lighter? Less weight means easier pedaling.