Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #841
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Rim brakes arent as light so not better. That is not a good example.

I am not saying man made is not good, but its not the best.
I think you meant to say disk brakes aren't as light, so not better. That only takes into account the weight of the brakes though. Hydro is here for the road, although only on the highest end gruppos so far. Hydros are lighter than cable setups, and way better modulators. Once the wheelsets start coming out taking into account no need for a braking surface, the total system weight should be lighter. The UCI can only slow technology, they can't stop it. About time road braking steps into the 20th century! I expect by next season I'll be swapping out my Avid cable discs for some sort of hydro, as the technology trickles down to the gruppo I'm willing to pay for.

Now back to your gear discussion...

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #842
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
If mesh was better on tarmac, wouldn't Valentino wear it? At least in Malaysia anyway
It may have as much to do with sponsorship as anything.

Plus, he can have a fresh new set of leathers for any race if so desired. For road riders who get caught in the rain, and sweat in the heat, the leather will not maintain the ability to protect as it did when new.

Unless you either have money enough to buy a new leather suit each year, or, are more concerned with the looks than the protection, an engineered textile like Motoport uses will be better suited to the application for touring and daily wear.

I wore an Aerostich Roadcrafter for about twenty years. Overall I was happy with the utility of stepping into an oversuit, but it didn't ventilate very well. Then the 'stich suddenly shrunk, or something and I stumbled across Motoport in my research for a replacement. Nothing else I found then compared, except in price.

I'm pretty sure this will be the last riding suit I'll own as it is now two and a half years old with nearly fifty thousand miles on it. It has been through day after day of torrential rain, has accumulated dirt, dust, exposure to sunlight, heat and sweat, and lots of wind. Should I toss it in the washing machine (as the wife keeps begging me to do), it would look like new. (for the record, I have washed it, once)

Leather exposed to the same environment would likely be cracking and splitting seams by now. At the least it would no longer have the same abrasion and tear qualities as when new. Not to mention how uncomfortable it would be in the Texas Summer, consecutive days riding in the rain, etc.

In my riding world there is no place for leather. Riders who go out on sunny afternoon jaunts to the twisties might get by with leather. It is just right for track and pseudo-track use. Beyond that, the practicality wanes quickly for everyday application.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #843
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Plus, generally speaking, a race lasts only a short time, so heat is usually not an issue. Leather also can take multiple falls before needing replacing. Leather is great for racing, but not generally as rider friendly for day in and day out all weather riding.

Vertical C is just argueing to see how far he can take it. He really doesn't care either way. H just loves to spin people up.

Fact is, for street riding, there is plenty of synthetic gear that is just as protective as leather, and a lot more user friendly.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #844
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
[QUOTE=MotoTex;22151570]All mesh is not created equal. See the first line of my post above.

This test figure is ONLY for Motoport's particular mesh weave. It was specifically engineered to provide this level of protection.

Most others may have the abrasion resistance of 500 Cordura, at best. Probably less. This is why you will find plenty of reviews of Joe Rocket and similar low-tech fashion jackets not living up to the expectations of the owner.

Show me another manufacturer who independently tests for tear and abrasion, and provides the results on their website.

Show me a forum article where a Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar came apart or shredded and you will have something I haven't seen.

This is a good conversation to have, but wearing something is far better than nothing Summertime here in Michigan and no helmet law, I see people on their motorcycles that are dressed more for the beach than for riding! I seen a guy flying down the highway wearing only shorts and shoes.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #845
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
[QUOTE=DR Donk;22155084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
All mesh is not created equal. See the first line of my post above.

This test figure is ONLY for Motoport's particular mesh weave. It was specifically engineered to provide this level of protection.

Most others may have the abrasion resistance of 500 Cordura, at best. Probably less. This is why you will find plenty of reviews of Joe Rocket and similar low-tech fashion jackets not living up to the expectations of the owner.

Show me another manufacturer who independently tests for tear and abrasion, and provides the results on their website.

Show me a forum article where a Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar came apart or shredded and you will have something I haven't seen.

This is a good conversation to have, but wearing something is far better than nothing Summertime here in Michigan and no helmet law, I see people on their motorcycles that are dressed more for the beach than for riding! I seen a guy flying down the highway wearing only shorts and shoes.

Partly true, depending on where you live!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...-standards.htm

Interesting reading.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #846
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Let us simply agree to disagree, as I feel confident that you are either unable to follow the train of thought I have attempted to get across
How miserable to think everyone with another point of view than you can't follow your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
On the first one: any possible benefits of going slower than others heading the same way, will be offset by the fact, that those others will want to pass you. And they´re gonna drive close behind you to get past. That creates whole new risks, that do not exist, if you take your own space on the road, like you should. The slower you go compared to the others, the more risks you create. If you decide to do this in heavy rain, for example, a truck driver coming from behind might not notice your rear light at all. Also you are not gonna get many new friends on the road by being a motorised roadblock for bigger vehicles.
I already showed you, that being passed isn't a problem at all. Dunno where you get that "going close behind you" expression from. I NOT "should" take space on the road I don't need, no matter how fast I'm going. I take exactly as much space as I need, not more and not less, no matter the speed. What "heavy rain"?!? Stay with the facts. And again, don't be a roadblock, no matter the speed, I already showed you how to initiate a pass. If you can't, practice!

Quote:
I did explain in detail, why bicyclists are in a very different situation compared to road-riding motorcyclists regarding heat and ventilation. You just chose to ignore that part.
No, I didn't ignore anything. I asked: Why do you think, being in a "very different situation" excuses unnecessarily risking your life?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #847
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
I can control other drivers with my mind.

Good luck with that!

Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #848
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I can't read, understand or even quote correctly.
I'm sorry for you.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #849
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,316
Quote:
I'm sorry for you.

Your mind controll isn't working.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #850
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
How miserable to think everyone with another point of view than you can't follow your thoughts.
Hmm. Okay, maybe it is just me, or not.

I understand that communication isn't an exact science, and, it is up to me to notice a break down and do what I can to more effectively communicate.

How about some of the FFs following this thread post up as to whether you agree or disagree regarding Wraith Rider finding some unique meaning in what I (and others) wrote, based upon his responses that seem (to me) to go off on tangents abstract to what was presented?

If it is my writing style that confuses the issue I'd like to know.

Thanks

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #851
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,811
"I already showed you, that being passed isn't a problem at all"

ok. But I disagree. Based on a bit more than 50 countries, that I've ridden on a motorcycle so far, being passed by other road-users is a problem. For one thing, you will have no control, if they're gonna give you a wide berth, or miss you by a rat's pubic hair. If they think you're screwing around in traffic & going unnecessarily slowly, probably the latter.

And if you don't know, what "your own space" means in motorcycling, then you have important things to learn.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #852
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
"I already showed you, that being passed isn't a problem at all"

ok. But I disagree. Based on a bit more than 50 countries, that I've ridden on a motorcycle so far, being passed by other road-users is a problem. For one thing, you will have no control, if they're gonna give you a wide berth, or miss you by a rat's pubic hair. If they think you're screwing around in traffic & going unnecessarily slowly, probably the latter.
Serioulsy? It's a problem if other road users pass you while on your bike?

How fast do you ride? There is always someone here in the states in a rush running 15-20 over the posted limit, whether the limit is 35 mph or 75 mph.

I have no fear of vehicles passing me, I can control my speed up or down as needed based on their berth and can't remember feeling scared or threatned by other road users moving in the same direction in a long time. It's those coming from the opposite direction or side streets that pose a greater risk which increases exponentially the faster one rides.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #853
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If it is my writing style that confuses the issue I'd like to know.
Why do you think something is confused? To me it seems quite clear.

Quote:
Based on a bit more than 50 countries, that I've ridden on a motorcycle so far, being passed by other road-users is a problem.
Than you're doing it wrong. And if you're doing it wrong, you're doing it doesn't matter in how many countries you are doing it wrong.

Quote:
For one thing, you will have no control
No matter how fast or slow you go, you never have control over the other vehicles. It doesn't really help to be faster while having no control.

Quote:
And if you don't know, what "your own space" means in motorcycling, then you have important things to learn.
I know very well. Seems you don't and because of that need much more or at least fear not to have enough of it.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #854
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Bluhduh

Quote:
Why do you think something is confused? To me it seems quite clear.
Obviously. This is why you feel a driving need to respond to a post quite clearly asking everyone else OTHER THAN YOU for feedback.

Quite clear, indeed.

Thanks for helping me understand, quite clearly, that you experience issues with comprehension.

It was nice playing. You are the proud winner of the cherished position as the first FF on my ignore list.

Have a mediocre day.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #855
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
a driving need to respond to a post quite clearly asking everyone else OTHER THAN YOU for feedback
OK, I didn't expect that a post directly adressed at me was asking everyone else other than me. Traffic isn't as crazy as you obviously.