VEGASGSA
Banned

Oddometer: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
It just sounds right, blame Hendrix.
We can start here..

Boon Booni

Sorry..I attributed the highside thing to you earlier..I should have known..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #1232
ardbeglily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
yes

ATGATT is overrated until you work in an ER for the summer, then you might change your mind.
ardbeglily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #1233
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Boon Booni

Sorry..I attributed the highside thing to you earlier..I should have known..

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #1234
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I think if you bit a deer at 100mph it would probably explode. Your wheels centrifugal force at that speed might even keep you upright. You might be better off than hitting it at 40..
very well might, but I'm not going to try, cause I know that it will do zero damage if I brake and manage to get to 0 mph

predicting damage from a collision is about the same as guessing if you will be injured or not

gear reduces risk of injury, nothing more, nothing less

in a collision ya still don't know if the gear was effective until after the fact

best way to avoid injury is to avoid collision altogether

even in deer country, risk of collision with a deer is less than risk of a left turner, or someone pulling from a drive, in a high traffic metropolitan area

choosing where you ride, when you ride, how you ride, lowers risk of injury a lot more than gear

and ATGATT is still overrated, ask someone from the NFL about helmets & concussions
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #1235
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
and ATGATT is still overrated, ask someone from the NFL about helmets & concussions
I'm sure that if you bang your head with a motorcycle helmet against another person wearing a similar helmet with as much force and as many times as an NFL lineman or running back does in a season, or, just a game, you too will have concussions. (plural)

All that gear can do is mitigate injury by reducing deceleration trauma.

Try the same headbutting game without either a football or motorcycle helmet and then tell us about how overrated you believe the gear is.

Next player!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #1236
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeglily View Post
ATGATT is overrated until you work in an ER for the summer, then you might change your mind.
I think they would say that motorcyclists think cages are underrated. I doubt they would see gear as any answer at all.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #1237
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I'm sure that if you bang your head with a motorcycle helmet against another person wearing a similar helmet with as much force and as many times as an NFL lineman or running back does in a season, or, just a game, you too will have concussions. (plural)

All that gear can do is mitigate injury by reducing deceleration trauma.

Try the same headbutting game without either a football or motorcycle helmet and then tell us about how overrated you believe the gear is.

Next player!
Allright TotoMex , you finally made a point.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #1238
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Short answer to the OP question:

"Is ATGATT overrated?"

Absoutely -- until you fall off.

At that point, ATGATT gains value just like any other form of insurance -- it becomes the only thing that will do.

And cagers would say motorcyclists think cages are overated, until you fall off that motorcycle
Old 08-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #1239
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

Next player!
i'ts not a head butting game, its football, when you don't have the gear, you play touch

there are always risks, gear just reduces them
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #1240
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
i'ts not a head butting game, its football, when you don't have the gear, you play touch

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #1241
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

there are always risks, gear just reduces them
No gear nfl is called Rugby, are there so many more head injureies in Rugby (both sports have head injuries pretty much the same - i follow both sports) or is the Peltzman effect here as well and the NFL players take more chances and dont protect their heads because they think gear will save them.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #1242
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityedge View Post
I know someone who hit one at slightly higher speed two-up on a sport bike. The bike's front end disintegrated and his girlfriend rode him like a boogie board to a stop. Squid gear all around save for helmets. He survived, but spent the better part of a year in a burn unit as the road made his clothes and most of his epidermis disappear.
That always puzzles me about the squid outfit:
FF helmet but no other protection. Is that so they can be fully conscious and aware of the terrible pain that road rash and its following treatment impart?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #1243
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
or is the Peltzman effect here as well and the NFL players take more chances and dont protect their heads because they think gear will save them.
You keep going on about the Peltzman effect.

What was the percentage of those representing the Peltzman Effect when compared to total population of people in the same specific group? (driver, sportsman, bicyclists, etc.)

What I'm getting at is there is nothing to even suggest that everybody is susceptible to experiencing this effect.

So, the rate increased over normal for drivers in fatal collisions, or collisions overall. The increase was a small amount.

Whatever the difference between it and the normal numbers (imagine a pie chart), when compared to the total number of drivers (who did and did not exhibit indicators for the effect) the Peltzman effect would only apply to that tiny sliver of the body measured that was higher than the norm.

Just because it has been observed doesn't in any way indicate that it would have application to any broad aspect of the population. In fact, most people aren't affected by it as shown in the studies.

Granted, a rider exhibiting Peltzman behavior would indeed be at a higher risk than one who doesn't, it wouldn't be all that significant of a factor overall. Well, except for that rider.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #1244
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Wow...project much?

I said exactly where I drew the line...

Could give a fuck how you live..or how you ride..or what you wear when you ride..

I was fairly clear..if I have to cover your risk..you open your self to regulation..

I see the problem..I wasn't quite literal enough for the simple here..so, for you...

As a PEOPLE if WE see fit to share risk thru our current insurance system, then WE as a PEOPLE open ourselves to regulation of those risks..does that make it easier to understand what I previously wrote? Jesus H Christ...you wanna ride naked..knock yourself out..I don't preach attgat..nor do I ride that way..normally, yes..but sometimes, just jeans..

You realize I hope.... those fucktards you speak of..are liberals who try to regulate life and death.

PS..I didn't tell anyone how to live....mouthbbreather..
Damn you're an idiot...

By your own broad stroke 'literal' explanation a person shouldn't be allowed to ride a fricking bike!

Don't you understand the ramifications of trying to decide what others can do?

"What do you mean," your feeble mind might ask?

Simple fucktard!
I'll even use your words: "As a PEOPLE if WE see fit to share risk thru our current insurance system, then WE as a PEOPLE open ourselves to regulation of those risks."

So what's your answer to the people (and they are out there) who think you shouldn't be allowed to ride a bike because it is increasing their health costs?
"I'll remind you that you said: if I have to cover your risk..you open your self to regulation..

(by the way, I think your breathing and talking through your ass)

Red9 screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 07:29 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #1245
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Obligatory link to Hot Chick for reference purposes.

For those who want the short version, here's the last paragraph:

"THE FINAL OUTCOME
My road rash will take several years to completely heal and will never look or feel normal again. I have conquered the only fear that kept me from riding and I will never put myself in the same position to receive such injuries as I have lived through this past year. I stress the importance of wearing full gear to each and every person I ride with, talk to, or even who happens to read my story. I believe that my experiences are a lesson to every type of rider or passenger. I would never wish the pain I felt and still feel today upon anyone in this world. It is completely avoidable with a few extra layers, and I can’t say it enough: it is undeniably worth it to gear up. Everything I have gone through this past year will not be in vain if my testimony is enough to save someone’s skin."

MotoTex screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:28 AM