User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Aluminum or plastic skid plate?

I can buy an aluminum skid plate for a WR250R for $80. A plastic one is $150. What are the pros and cons of each?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 651
skid plate

You live in the NW right! big rocks etc! I like aluminum. Personal preference!
It might depend on mounting, some Aluminum ones are a pain to mount and remove and remount when changing oil.Mine are! I just don't pull mine to change oil, just wash it with simple green and dawn when done.
Aluminum can be louder, reflecting bottom end noise up to the cockpit, bothers some, does not bother others.
Depends on the bike. My xr does not make much noise on the bottom end, while my crf is very loud w/ an al skid plate!
Some people add foam or sound deadening material on the interior side, also to keep mud from being trapped! there can be a large amount after a days ride in the right conditions, plastic can trap mud also though.
Other observations:
Ktm's stock one is plastic and removes in 30 seconds, easy and quite, but won't fit your application.
My xr has several large dents in the aluminum that are visible from the interior side, don't know if plastic would have held up???
Jcr's xr650r in baja ran the plastic stock skid plate in the baja, lighter I presume but the plate only had to last 1000 miles.
Just my observations and opinions! Hope it helps! You going to the Hells Canyon ride in June?
Cheers,

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Try this analogy: I'm going to hit you in the chest with a shovel. You can hold up a thin sheet of something for protection. Aluminum or plastic?

ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
They wouldn't make Tupperware skid plates if they didn't work. Besides, there seems to me no other cure to our misery riding that bike with an aluminum plate. I was on the CDR with a friend on a KLR. He asked me what all that shrieking was.

Around town I've come to taking it off. On the other hand, I did a thing in AZ called Turkey Creek. I made it, but it was over my head. When I took the plate off in town, I noted it had a few big hits on the bottom.

For now, I'll mount the plate when I have an adventure. It's only one bolt in front. In fact, maybe the wishbone rear mount is the source of the DBs.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I like Plastic. The plastic slides better. Aluminum is LOUD plus bends and stays bent. If you ride in pointy rocks aluminum may be better?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I really like the Hyde Racing skid plates I have on my YZ and TE610.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,501
I wanted to try plastic because it is quiter and an LC4 engine sounds broken normally. So I tried one on my LC4E for a weekend long rock fest. That weekend cost me a dented engine case and a dented frame rail from a rocks punching through the plastic.

Granted we are talking a 300 pound bike ridden pretty aggressively and crashed hard in tough conditions. Plus the same ride had mangled the aluminum skid plate on another bike in previous years. But the difference was nothing got through the aluminum plate to damage the bike.

So both of my KTM's wear aluminum these days. I can live with the noise. A bit of foam helps with that. I can also live with the skid plate looking like it cleared mines after a few rides. That is what they are for. What I can't live with is having rocks penetrate and tear up the engine.

I would use plastic or CF if I didn't ride rocks. But see where my oil filter is located? The water pump on my MXC is just as vulnerable. So for rocks I want real metal armor. This skid plate has already survived the same ride that destroyed the plastic one with nothing more than scratches.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 08:17 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
D1EHARD
Got the Fever

Oddometer: 87
I put an aluminum flatland plate on my WR250X when I had it. I spent more time trying to dampen the damn noise than it did protecting the bike. I have the stock KTM plastic one on my 450 exc now. It is like a god-send. Of course, I'm not riding in razor sharp rocks either. If it's good enough for JCR in the baja, it's good enough for me. Hell, didn't neduro even consider using the KTM plastic skid plate in the Dakar? Not sure on his final choice but it was on his blog. Pretty good endorsement right there.

D1EHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Part of the noise problem with aluminum is that most aftermarket manufacturers use 3/16" aluminum which vibrates and resonates more than heavier material. Most original equipment skidplates I've seen are made of 6mm or 1/4" alu. which is of course stronger, and is also quieter.
I've only found two aftermarket companies that use heavier gauge alu., Ricochet Racing in the USA specs they're motorcycle plates with 3/16" alu. but will use 1/4" by special order. There is a Canadian company, I can't think of the name right now, that uses 6mm alu.
Of course you haven't said what kind of riding you do on your WR, so nobody knows what level of protection you need. Plastic plates work well at deflecting gravel and the occasional glancing blow. In most cases I would prefer plastic to light, 3/16", aluminum.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Like I said, plasitc would be my choice for wood riding. But if you are going to be grinding through rocks, well, remember this was one weekend:

Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
If you lived/rode in New Mexico, TN or WV you would not have to ask this question. There is no substitute for aluminum when the rocks get large,sharp and plentiful. E-Line makes a carbon-fiber one which is probably better than the stock plastic stuff. Who cares if it makes the bike a little more noisy? Ever price a set of cases of any kind?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Kayaks

So what about kayaks.....Colorado Gorge Run....nuthing but big sharpe rocks; no aluminum kayaks on the planet. Different material?
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Next time you plan to run a rocky gorge in a 250 to 300 pound kayak at highway speeds let me know so I can be on hand to shoot some video.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
RRM707
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
If you ride on a grassy field, plastic would work.

If you ride anywhere there are boulders just waiting to smash

your case, aluminum is your only choice. Don't find out the hard way....
RRM707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Im the OP, I'll do a little update. I ended up going with the plastic one. You have to keep in mind the plastic is way thicker than the metal ones. I have taken a few heavy hits from Arizona rocks and the plate is holding up fine. If your a very aggressive rider and have to replace your plate all the time I'd go with aluminum as there half the price of plastic. I have an aluminum plate on my GS and tested the plate a few times, no problem there either but I don't take it to technical places like I do the WR.

Bottom line, whatever you get will work fine.