User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
GravvyTrain OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
XL500R Engine swap with XR500

I need a new engine in this bike but as you all are probably aware this '82 bike has 12v electrics, and the 79-81 models are 6v stator. The only complete running motors I am finding are from xr500.. Can I swap out the stator/flywheel (sidecover?) from my original motor and stick it in the XR , or is it more complicated than that?
Also, the previous owner of this bike rigged the wiring without a battery
I think a new battery is on my list of things to get- when the bike was running it had a power problem without it i.e. lights dimming and blinkers blink and don't blink .

GravvyTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Yes, you can swap the parts. You probably won't even need to swap the flywheel if I remember correctly.

You will need a battery to correctly run the turn signals, tail and brake light.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
what's wrong with the one you have? just wondering.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
GravvyTrain OP
Adventurer

Switchblade, My engine was running OK until it completely stopped one day.. took it apart and found a circlip in the oil screen with a bunch of metal, sooo I feel It would be better to just get a good motor and not have to deal with this whole mess . The wristpin had been rubbing against the wall, and somehow one of the cam sprocket screws came loose and ended up getting stuck- broke the camshaft and sprocket. The journals are damaged as well. And the motor has been overheated.

I have this black/red wire I need to figure out what it is so I can decide whether to switch out the alternator from the original engine to the XR engine I am getting. It's probably important , but I still want to know so any guesses?
My plan is to take the xr generator/flywheel out and switch it with mine. I won't do It if Its not necessary to avoid creating more problems...

Does this alternator look usable? Not sure if the outside ends are supposed to look like that or if its worn down ?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
this will help it's a wiring diagram for the XL

http://zorch.maow.myip.org/bikes/wir...l500r_1982.jpg

and that site also has the diagram for other hondas if you need it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
GravvyTrain OP
Adventurer

thanks Switchblade !
my mystery wire goes from the alternator to the cdi...hmmm still not sure what purpose that serves because Im a newb at this stuff , but its not important because ill be switching out the alternator.
I have been doing some research into the parts that should be used from the xl motor, and found some answers for anyone else that would like to know.
-alternator
-flywheel/magneto
-pulse generator
-advance rotor
I'll update sometime next week , stay tuned.........

Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
spokie
spokie

Oddometer: 6
Hehehe.... same happened to my motor, a 500cc (RFVC) a week ago, actually it's very sad but what can one do other than smile at things like this. Some metal shaving-crap ended up in an oil port and seized the big end. But, I'm rebuilding, for the damage in my engine is considerably less than that of yours, by what I understand from your post up here.
Anyway, the stator you are trying to fit to the XR will work - I'm running one in my XR500. no problem except for the grommet an the fact that it has 4 wires where the XR only needs 3 wires, so one of them you'll have to tie off. I have to go and check which one, just to make sure, but as I can remember I think it is a white one. If you are not having success let me know, I'll try to help.

The wire I left out is the white with yellow stripes.

spokie screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 01:49 PM Reason: Add wire colour
spokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
RattleCanRacer
AKA: Steve.

Oddometer: 49
I just swapped an 82 XR500 engine into my 82 XL500R, the XR carburation and cam is way quicker, you will like the swap. I have swapped the stator, it worked fine. My buddy kept the 6v system and runs LED's with good success and if I'm not mistaking the battery is totally dead and just there to complete the circuit, so I think his 6v stator alone is sufficient, I could be wrong, I will ask him, with some cheap trial and error you will get it.
Presently: 87 Elite 150, Plated 100% rebuilt NOS 82' single carb XR500, NightHawk 650, CB400. My friend told me my Motorcycle smells weird. I told him, "I haven't figured out how to tune the smell yet." Another friend asked "Does your Elite have power surges?" I said "I wish!"
RattleCanRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Eric318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Unfortunately you will find that the stator cover of the XLR will not fully mate with the XRR case. There will be a wide gap left just under the front of the sprocket.
What you will need to do is remove the XLR stator (3 screws) and its bracket (4 screws) to fit to the XRR cover (4 screws).
Have fun.
Eric318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Eric318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
This is how the XLR cover does not fit the XR case;

Eric318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
GravvyTrain OP
Adventurer

Laugh Update 4/21/2012

Shipping the Engine taking longer than expected. Mixup on shipping destination..Now have to pick it up at a Fedex ship center due to being greater than 80lbs which I think I am happier doing since I don't trust them to deliver a 100lb box down the steep hill I live on
Just got the new battery charged, installed, and ready for a running engine to keep its juice up.

Spokie,
Are you sure I have to tie of one of the wires? Do your electrics work, i.e (headlight switch, blinkers, battery stays charged)
[Note: The following info is found here ~ http://zorch.maow.myip.org/bikes/wir...l500r_1982.jpg ]
That white/yellow-stripe wire runs from the alternator to the regulator, and the headlight switch...Just noticed this bike has a 'regulator' & 'regulator with rectifier' . The 'Regulator' with the white/yellow wire also has the ground(green) straight from the ignition coil. I don't know much about bike's electrical components, but I don't think I should cut off the regulator circuit. (even though I have been riding the bike without a battery since I first got it last fall)

RattleCanRacer,
The engine I plan on using is an '80 xr500 ..Pretty sure they kept the cam the same in that year, but I may be wrong. I also will be using the original xlr carb because the older xr motors from 79-80 had the same single carb port until '81 when they introduced the reed valve induction.

Eric318,
Wow, I didnt expect that- thanks for sharing!
Looks like I won't be having a neutral indicator light! Better off keeping it all silver.
From what you are saying, It sounds like the xlr stator should switch over to the xr cover without a problem. That is what I'm planning on doing.

GravvyTrain screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 01:12 PM Reason: correction
Old 05-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
GravvyTrain OP
Adventurer

Update 5/13/2012

Well its been a few weeks since I got the XR engine installed, and its going ok. Few problems I ran into along the way. Not really related to the swap directly, but one of the exhaust studs is stripped out. Working on getting a Thread fix kit for it- seems as though I'll have to go with a 5/16 as I cannot find a metric kit locally. Probably going to check out what home depot has in their department today. Also have a couple exhaust collars on the way in.
The decompression lever is broken so I had to ziptie the manual cable into place and the kickstart cable is held in by the spring...there is supposed to be two sides on the lever to keep in the cable but the one side is broke off.
I ended up leaving in the XR flywheel because I couldn't get it loose. Did change out the pulse generator, pickup, and alternator.
There is an odd problem I have come to discover that when I turn the key in the ignition to the 'ON' postition, it will turn on the brake light, but if it is wiggled it will turn off the electrics. When you wiggle it towards the off postition there is a spot where the lights work, but if it goes to the right nothing turns on (brake light, turn signals, horn) Don't know if it is a ground somewhere or what...maybe I need a new ignition ?
Also, I previously ordered an exhaust gasket for the header pipe to connect to the muffler(mine is a supertrapp) but it doesn't fit over it.. I might just have to live with it like that. Not sure what to do bout it but it shouldn't cause any adverse effects on the engine.
Anyone use shell rotella in their xr/xl bikes? I got some from reading some other forums that say thats the preferred choice. Also read that adding a zinc additive with the rotella is a good thing for these old thumpers. I am trying this combo out , and opinions of these products is welcome!