Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quel incroyable motocyclette a panier adjacent! Merci de nous faire partager tes aventures et tes projets. Ici aux US ( ou je reside depuis deja 15 ans) le side est encore quelque peu basique, avec tres peu de constructeur, mais j'espere qu'en voyant les photos de ton side, ca va en faire reflechir certain.
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #17
Jeanmarc FR OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Merci twintwin, j’espère aussi ! Vous avez un pays fabuleux, mon rêve serait de le traverser en side-car... Mais c'est très cher d'envoyer un side-car à travers l'Atlantique !

Thanks Twintwin, I hope too ! You have a wonderful country, my dream would be to cross it in side-car... But it's terribly expensive to send a sidecar across the atlantic ocean ! So it's more "easy" for us in Europe to travel North (Scandinavia) or east (Russia), because there's no ocean to cross...

Her are pics of a Choda 2WD GS hack, so with the system that's gonna be mounted on my sidecar. The system is quite basic, it works with belts and is non permanent. It's not sophisticated like the german Mobec duodrive / Haldex systems for example, but it's much cheaper. It's rather made to be used only when crossing difficult obstacles.
You can see the belt system on the last pics, it's other hacks with this time a 3WD system. The 2WD has the same system but only goes to the sidecar wheel. I't quite clever and works real great
The Choda 2 and 3WD hacks also have the sidecar wheel turning
Choda is in fact one only guy who has incredible ideas. Whe're lucky in Europe to have a few of these crazy manufacturers who manage to build fantastic hacks

Jeanmarc FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #18
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
krikey, you guys don't mess around when you build a hack.
Hats off
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #19
Jeanmarc FR OP
n00b

GS sidecars in Europe

Here is the very first GS1200 hack made by Héchard sidecar company near Poitiers. They fixed their "Serval" sidecar to a brand new 12GS Adv this winter. Before I got my sidecar, I went to see Héchard and hesitated on fixing a Serval or Saphir sidecar to my GSAdv. Finally I didn't because of the costs and also the philosophy of those sidecars. Indeed I love the colors of this hack, and the quality is fantastic, but I find that a Serval is a bit too "racing" to be connected to a GS.... The ground clearance is low, and I don't imagine this hack wondering around in bad terrain. But all tastes are in the nature... and it's a new GS hack here
A soon as I see it in real, I'll give you more details.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #20
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,102
That is the most impressive series of hack pictures that I've ever seen.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #21
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,565
I just want the Hayabusa 3WD.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #22
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,071
WOW!
I gotta keep playing the lottery........
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #23
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Sidecars are very popular across the pound, last summer during a 10 days trip in France (around 1K miles in a minivan), I saw more than a dozen rigs. I'm always amazed by the level of technology, creativity and attention to details that are put in these awesome machines in Europe. Thanks again Jean Marc for sharing these pictures.
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #24
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,075
[QUOTE=Jeanmarc FR;20943016]Here is the very first GS1200 hack made by Héchard sidecar company near Poitiers. They fixed their "Serval" sidecar to a brand new 12GS Adv this winter. Before I got my sidecar, I went to see Héchard and hesitated on fixing a Serval or Saphir sidecar to my GSAdv. Finally I didn't because of the costs and also the philosophy of those sidecars. Indeed I love the colors of this hack, and the quality is fantastic, but I find that a Serval is a bit too "racing" to be connected to a GS.... The ground clearance is low, and I don't imagine this hack wondering around in bad terrain. But all tastes are in the nature... and it's a new GS hack here
A soon as I see it in real, I'll give you more details.

Yes the lack of ground clearance and the racy designs are the things I thought would make both the Mega Comete and the Neptune bodies inapropriate as adventure hacks and less than compatible with the GS.
But, they both seem to have worked out.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
Nsfrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanmarc FR View Post
Her are pics of a Choda 2WD GS hack, so with the system that's gonna be mounted on my sidecar. The system is quite basic, it works with belts and is non permanent. It's not sophisticated like the german Mobec duodrive / Haldex systems for example, but it's much cheaper. It's rather made to be used only when crossing difficult obstacles.
Hello Jeanmarc,

can you please explain me, what you have ment with a term "non permanent"? In a pictures, I do not see neither any type of "differential" nor "viscous coupling". When it is non permanent, I would expect some kind of disconnecting device to sepparate the rear and sidecar wheel during the ride on hard surfaces (e.g. tarmac), because those two wheel must not be connected together without differential during cornering on hard surfaces.

Could you please explain this issue to me?
Thanks in advance.
Nsfrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheels52 View Post
krikey, you guys don't mess around when you build a hack.
Hats off
Jim
+1
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,395
Do you suppose our problem is we are just cheap SOB's here the USA ? Its rhetorical doesn't require an answer !
Those are very nice rigs, I'm thinking if I had too much money I'd drive a hydraulic pump off the FD and power a hydro motor on the chair wheel.
I have a civil engineer cousin who always sends my lovely images of roads, tunnels and Bridges they are always in Europe.DB
Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #28
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Wow!!! those are some nice rigs.I really dig that front end..You guys have some beautful rigs.. After reading this would a different tire help in the rain? I haven't done any hydroplaning with my rig,but I'm running a Nangkang all season with great results..Just a thought..Nice rig..
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
I just want the Hayabusa 3WD.
No Doubt.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #30
Jeanmarc FR OP
n00b

Quote:
Yes the lack of ground clearance and the racy designs are the things I thought would make both the Mega Comete and the Neptune bodies inapropriate as adventure hacks and less than compatible with the GS.
But, they both seem to have worked out.
Bk yes, it's not too bad. But it's not my cup of tea

Quote:
can you please explain me, what you have ment with a term "non permanent"? In a pictures, I do not see neither any type of "differential" nor "viscous coupling". When it is non permanent, I would expect some kind of disconnecting device to sepparate the rear and sidecar wheel during the ride on hard surfaces (e.g. tarmac), because those two wheel must not be connected together without differential during cornering on hard surfaces.

Could you please explain this issue to me?
Thanks in advance
Nsfrt, Choda's system indeed hasn't differential or visco coupling. It needs to be engaged only in rough terrain, then disengaged when back on normal road, because the two wheels turn at the same speed. I would compare it with URAL's 2WD system, except that the movement is created by belts. I'll give more details when get it fitted to the rig

Melrone, I fitted Hankook W442 winter tyres and used them in the Alps during that snowy rally. They are excellent, very good grip on the snow even without chains. I also have Michelin Easygrip chains, but didn't use them yet
Spring is back, it's time to change with the Bridgestone B250 conventional tyres, also fine under the rain

Here is the chassis of a guy who bought his hack in Germany. It's fitted with Mobec's duodrive 2WD system, AND went through technical approval by french authorities... Which is incredible, because here in France, sidecar inspectors are more than stiff and inspect hacks as if they were nuclear plants
So incredibly this duodrive got the approval, and is the ONLY duodrive in France, lucky guy !
He travelled with it throughout all South America a few years ago, fitted with an EML CT2001, and will fit soon an EML E2000 panier. I'll let you know about it