User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Harry Potter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
1200GS goes to Jimmy Lewis Riding School

Five Stars to the Jimmy Lewis Adventure Riding Class.

BMW surveys report that approximately 95% of R1200GS owners never ride any logging trails or single tracks. Not wanting to be a part of that 95% this senior decided to do some GS training. It started with watching over and over again several of the Dual Sport Training videos. With practice drills on the tank bag I actually worked what I could on our local gravel roads. The next step was the BMW Performance Centerís two day classes in South Carolina. Good class well worth every penny. What made it extra special was the two days of rain which I am glad it did. I got my first practice on wet red clay. You get to drop their bike there. Well a full summer later and I still felt my R1200Gs riding skills still needed a lot of work. Since I had done the wet I thought I would try the dry.

So I trailered my 2011 R1200Gs 1400 miles to Pahrump, Nevada for the Jimmy Lewis Adventure Bike Training School. Two days of the best yet and I mean compared to two rides to Alaska and everything else Iíve done on a bike. Pahrump is a very nice town to visit for a riding class. Jimmy Lewis took numerous students with absolutely no experience on gravel and some very good riders all to more than the next level. Was I scared going? Yes but not once the class started. Am I a better rider? Loads better and I did as well on the final afternoon single track ride as those kids 35 years younger. This was the real deal not a fake training park. The food was great and Jimmy, his wife Heather, and the rest of the crew were all great instructors. Actually Heather taught me something very special and that was to be a better listener. I hope someday I can be like her. Iíll do this course again. Thanks Jimmy and Five Stars to your Adventure Riding Course.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Nice! I read a few articles about his school. Looks great. I hope to make it out there in the next few years when I decide on a replacement for the Strom.

"Don't get cruiser sloppy" Unknown Inmate
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,948
Another big thumbs up for Jimmy Lewis and his school. I took a one day class last year and the 2 day class this year and I'm already planning on taking the 2 day class again next year. Jimmy and Heather are great and have an endless amount of patience and knowledge as do their other instructors. Highly recommended!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Harry Potter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
VTphoneman, Nothing to sort on a Vstom just add knobby tires. My son has 2005 also and his with TKC 80s is a far better dirt bike than my R1200GS. I see Cowgirl rides a very well set up Vstrom also. I think she added a Yamaha WR250R to her stable for dirt bike duties.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
Just found this one and thanks for the positive comments!

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Redneck-Hippie
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Well done

I am happy to see continued positive reviews of JL school, I hope to attend next fall as I completely agree with your sentiment of using the bike where it was meant to be used.... well done HP...
Redneck-Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Roads and Trails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Heather Lewis

10 years ago I was going to the BMW introduction of the 1200GS. As a total dirt novice, I knew I had to sign up for Jimmy's two day class in order not to make a total fool of myself in front of all the other BMW people.
On the second day of class we were riding a rough rocky jeep road. I was the last student and Heather was riding sweep on a KTM950.
I realized Heather was catching up to me rapidly. All I could think is that she wanted me to go faster, so I tried. Soon I was standing on the pegs riding on the edge of disaster, but she was still pulling up to me. I couldn't go any faster! While I am struggling, she calmly pulled up next to me, sitting with one hand on the throttle and the other hand snapping off pictures with her camera.
Roads and Trails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
HarryHippy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
James902

James902 this schools for you
HarryHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM   #9
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads and Trails View Post
I was standing on the pegs riding on the edge of disaster, but she was still pulling up to me. I couldn't go any faster! While I am struggling, she calmly pulled up next to me, sitting with one hand on the throttle and the other hand snapping off pictures with her camera.
I've had pro riders go past me on the race track looking like they're out for a Sunday ride when I'm all white knuckled. (Kevin Schwantz School - Road Atlanta) One went by with one hand on the bars, the other waving at me and a foot in the air. Good training is worth the cost x1000 and good/great riders are awe inspiring...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
psd96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've been wondering what extra training I should take, sounds like a good choice.
psd96 is offline   Reply With Quote