Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Canuman-

Thank you for the input- You've added to the small but vocal group that have been supportive of SYMs. Could I ask why you got rid of it? Any particular issue either with the scooter or the ergonomics that caused you to move on?
It's one of those bikes I truly regret selling. I stupidly got the yen for MORE POWER, mostly because I used the bike to shuttle my son around on. In the final view, more power really wasn't necessary. We did just fine on the SYM.

The SYM ergs are great. My only criticism was a slightly too-soft seat, but I could have remedied that at the local upholsterer's for about $40. My longest day on the SYM approached 400 miles. Yes, they are that well thought-out and comfy. I put a GIVI windscreen on the beast, and could have happily and cheaply ridden it to California.

I threw down rather long money on the Scarabeo 500ie. I had a very bad experience with the local Aprilia dealer. The fuel pickup tubing collapsed (they all do that, Sir.) He had the bike from November to April and did absolutely nothing to it. Finally, I showed up with the recall notice, and told him to fix the damn thing. He hadn't touched it in all that time, and I didn't have the use of it.

Compared to the SYM, the Aprilia is very complicated to work on. To say the Aprilia fasteners are irrational is being kind. I've had more problems with the fasteners corroding on the Aprilia than I had on the SYM, although both bikes were stored in my dry garage. I found SYM parts to be relatively cheap. Not so for the Aprilia.

I know a dealer that has several SYM leftovers that he will be selling for a significant discount. If I had the cash and the need, I'd pop down and buy one tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm still carrying a note on the Italian Job.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
My experience with Aprilia has been much better than canumam. Riders Hill is THE BEST motorcycle/scooter dealer I have dealt with and having lived in 10 states I have dealt with a lot of dealers. However, Marietta Vespa seems like a good dealer too and they are much closer.

As much as I like my Sport City, for what you want I would go with the Sym. I have not read anything bad about the HD200 except for of course the Carter Bros fiasco. As for frequent maintenance intervals, how many miles will you be putting on it? I ride my Kymco almost every day and have only put 6,000 miles on it in 16 months. It also has very frequent maint. intervals (1200 mi oil change, 2500 valve adj. ) but they have been very simple to do and haven't come all that frequently since it takes a while to accumulate a lot of miles when you only take short rides.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Them HD 200s are good little bikes for everything but long distance freeway cruising of course. They'll do 70+ MPH actual [GPS/Radar], have good power, watercooling is always ideal. It returns good MPG, probably around 70 +/- MPG.

I don't know about parts availibility. Obviously not gonna be as much as a Honda here in America. But, I'm sure you can get the basics easily and from a dealer.

Its adequet, but if you cruise high speeds a lot maybe a bit bigger. But overall it ain't a bad bike and I here lots of good reviews on em.

Canuman WTF? They keep your bike for 5 MONTHS? And still don't do shit? I'd be so pissed. I'm actually want a Scarbeo 500 sometime in the future. Seems like a good balance of power and not quite to big. It'll be between a Scarbeo 500 and a Burgman 650/Silverwing 600. It be a while, I'm getting a H-D first but then sometime I'd like a big scoot.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
Dabears OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Thanks all for your real world experience and your wise counsel.

Truthfully, I get to ride very little. My Atlanta office is only 8 miles from our home, and I work in Denver 50% of the time. Sadly, I've made one short ride up to North Georgia this year, and commuted to work only 3-4 times (I have the option of working at home several days a week, reducing drive time even more..).

I already have a BMW R1200GS and my trusty old P200, so chances are with specs like the SYM or any other 200-250cc scooter has I could see myself putting my rarely used BMW up for sale in the near future.

I'm just sort of coming to the conclusion that scooters fit my needs better than full size motorcycles.

To answer Klaviator's question I would guess 2500 miles per year would be the max, and that's only if I started using a new scooter almost exclusively and hauled it for trips on the RV. I only put 5k on my truck, and much of that was back and forth to Florida after my mother passed away last year. Otherwise it basically goes back and forth to the airport....

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
adoptamutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootervillain View Post
Here's a post from February 2012 regarding parts availability from Alliance (specifically for the RV250, which Alliance doesn't import (yet!))...

http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1636.0

It seems like they're getting their sh*t together; They had to start small due to limited capital, but they seem to be making the right moves.

I almost bought a new HD200 Evo, but ended up buying a leftover '09 SYM Citycom instead (out the door was $300 cheaper on the leftover Citycom). Also, I don't think you will need parts aside from an air filter or a belt for a good number of years, at least.

The Sport City is a fine scoot as well. I didn't care for the Scarabeo 200 that I test rode earlier this year (it was an '09 and the engine sounded awful on it, but it might have been that particular scoot).

I think you'd be fine with any of those bikes - seems like a nice dilemma to have :)

Can I ask how much the 2009 leftover Citycom was ? How do you like it ? It seems they can be found with less than 5000 miles for under $3000.
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #21
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
T
Canuman WTF? They keep your bike for 5 MONTHS? And still don't do shit? I'd be so pissed. I'm actually want a Scarbeo 500 sometime in the future. Seems like a good balance of power and not quite to big. It'll be between a Scarbeo 500 and a Burgman 650/Silverwing 600. It be a while, I'm getting a H-D first but then sometime I'd like a big scoot.
That was the fourth time I had the Aprilia in over several months, and the dealer is over 100 miles away. The first time the problem surfaced, I told them to check the pickup tube, and was told "they couldn't replicate the problem."

The second time also. This was serious, as I'd nearly been rammed at a stop when the scooter stalled.

Third time, they said "they'd look at the security system, they thought it was something there."

When I finally received the recall notice, I asked if they'd ever looked at the fuel pickup, as I'd insisted they do in the first place.

The owner of the place said, "No, we didn't think that was the problem." I like Aprilias, but the bad taste will take a long time to leave.

The Aprilia has a lovely motor, great suspension, and goes like a scalded cat. With proper dealer support, it is a fine machine. I just can't rely on the latter.

However, if I were to buy another scooter, my money would be on SYM. I bought mine from a dealer that was going out. I put about 7500 miles on it between April and August. I changed the oil and put gas into it, and a new air filter. The second owner flogged it with no mercy -- often doubling the suggested oil change intervals. His commute was nearly 100 miles a day, on interstates, with the throttle pegged. He clocked 10,000 miles on the beast in four months.

He replaced some tires. Two valve checks showed them well within specs in that time. He replaced another air filter and a drive belt. I last rode the bike about two years ago, when it was nearing 20,000 miles of fairly sporty use. There was no loss of power. (Hey, 17 big ponies are after all 17 big ponies.) Through my experience with the bike -- and I did the oil changes for the second owner -- it never burned more than a tablespoon.

My suggestion: get the SYM. They may not be the most sexy, but they do the job in a workmanlike fashion. Get the seat re-worked with some firmer foam. When the stock Duro tires wear out, throw something stickier on. Buy a windscreen.

You'll tell your grandchildren about it. These are quality bikes.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
Scootervillain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptamutt View Post
Can I ask how much the 2009 leftover Citycom was ? How do you like it ? It seems they can be found with less than 5000 miles for under $3000.
My Citycom was $3495 out the door (plus another $50 to deliver 95 miles away) - this was a leftover from a boat dealer who sold scooters a few years back, but doesn't anymore - had 2 scoots left and was desperate to unload them. There are 3 SYM dealers within an hour of my house - the best deal on the new HD was a few hundred more. I figured the Citycom would work better if I ever jump on the interstate, plus it would have higher resale value.

The bike itself is pretty amazing - it's big (maybe 370 pounds, w/gas), but it has about the same get up and go as the HD200, with a slightly higher top end (82 mph indicated is as fast as I've gone). For a bigger bike (compared to my Buddy 150, for example), it's still quite nimble - all that weight doesn't seem to matter while you're moving. It feels right at home in curves (seriously, carves up any curve). Speedo seems about 3-5% optimistic at any given speed, which is pretty good for a scooter.

I saw an '09 on craigslist here for $2,900 with only 3k miles, but it sold before I could get over to look at it. For the record, mine is NOT FOR SALE!

Scootervillain screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 03:41 PM Reason: Spelling
Scootervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Wow, you don't go far at all!

Sounds like you don't need a big bike at all.

I think you'd be mighty fine on the 200. If you only do 2.5K a year. You could do 2.5K Interstate miles a year on it and be satisfied!

Canuman alright I gotcha! I thought they had it set there in the shop for 5 months. I was gonna say that'd be outragous! But still, that dealer sucks! I'd just say its the dealer.

I'm can't wait to be able to afford me a maxi scoot.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Ferrix-
Question for you- do you do your own servicing? How frequent and hard are the valves to access and adjust?
Sorry I can't answer that one as I let my mechanic to worry about all that detail :) Service intervals are a bit frequent at every 3,000km, in common with other SYM scooters... although I think I read somewhere SYM recently extended them across their whole range. It seems to me recommended service interval is really an almost completely arbitrary number and if you were doing your own work you could probably get away with less frequent services.
Then again if you don't ride much this might not be a major issue for you.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Service intervals are a bit frequent at every 3,000km, in common with other SYM scooters... although I think I read somewhere SYM recently extended them across their whole range. It seems to me recommended service interval is really an almost completely arbitrary number and if you were doing your own work you could probably get away with less frequent services.

Then again if you don't ride much this might not be a major issue for you.
Them Service Intervals is usually just valves and oil changes I'd bet. Using a good quality synthetic oil, you can usually go even further than the recommended. Valves? Well I ain't touched em on my Elite 150 in 8K and they recommened a lot more frequent. No problems I's gonna check em now though.

But as ferrix meantioned if you says youse only fixin to ride 2,500 miles a year, sounds like 1 service a year is all!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Ferrix-

Excellent info- thanks- Nice to hear reports of someone who has put lots of distance on one and no issues.

Question for you- do you do your own servicing? How frequent and hard are the valves to access and adjust?
The valves are easy to check and adjust. I think they say to check them every 3K miles. I use the oil meter and change the oil about every 1K miles, takes about 5 minutes.

After you check and set the valves, you can really tell by riding it if they need adjustment. Getting to the adjuster screws is really easy. The nuts for the adjusters are very small however and you need to find the right tool for them, I use mini pliers. Also, there are two on the underside of the head and for those I lie on the ground.

Mine has never used anything in 5500 miles, it's a great bike, because it always works. After working on it, you realize everything on the motor is such high quality, much better than my new cbr250. I ordered an extra drive belt and brake pads, and keep those on hand. I think you change the rear drive oil at 1K and 3K miles- very easy too.

I don't really like it as a highway bike, but it will cruise 60 mph all day, no problem. My average mpg was 75 US.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #27
DudeClone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Them Service Intervals is usually just valves and oil changes I'd bet. Using a good quality synthetic oil, you can usually go even further than the recommended. Valves? Well I ain't touched em on my Elite 150 in 8K and they recommened a lot more frequent. No problems I's gonna check em now though.

But as ferrix meantioned if you says youse only fixin to ride 2,500 miles a year, sounds like 1 service a year is all!
this is pretty right on, i think. the service intervals for some of these scoots are for "severe duty" and otherwise. more frequent then necessary. especially if not mecnanically inclined in the least

valves every 2500 miles? well it sure will save a DIY'er a good chunk of change to at least be able to check them if not confident enough to adjust them. but even so, most likely they are ok

guys on the Kymco board with over 15,000 miles on their scoots without ever touching the valves

i am against over servicing a scoot :)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
Dabears OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks all, and your comments are spot on. Even if I was going to use this scooter to commute for work, it would still likely only get around 4k total per years worth of use (remember I work out of state 50% of the time).

Changing the oil regularly and checking the valves is not something that would concern me.

I have looked at the SYM Forum and agree it appears that there are few problems showing up that are not owner inflicted.

My only wish is that it had a lower seat height so my wife could learn to ride it. I may just have to find a small scooter for her to learn on, but that's another story. Again, thanks everyone for your help. Unless I have a drastic change of mind (or my wife changes hers ) I am heavily leaning towards the SYM. Stay tuned.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #29
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Ferrix-

Excellent info- thanks- Nice to hear reports of someone who has put lots of distance on one and no issues.

Having worked for a SYM, Genuine, and TGB dealer, I've done the valves an about a dozen or so SYM watercooled 4 valve singles. They aren't what I'd call difficult, but are a bit fussy because the valve cover is behind some frame tubing. But with the proper tools, ( the 2in1, 9mm hex X 4mm square combo valve adjuster) and a decent longish feeler gauge it's no more difficult than doing most ChiCom scooter valves. Do them cold.

The frequent oil changes are because the engine's oil capacity is smallish, the RV250 has a bigger sump, and I think gets longer oil change intervals.

Keep an eye on the water cooling hose clamps and check the coolant level occasionally. They really never overheat, the cooling system is massive compared to the engine's heat output.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
Dabears OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
Having worked for a SYM, Genuine, and TGB dealer, I've done the valves an about a dozen or so SYM watercooled 4 valve singles. They aren't what I'd call difficult, but are a bit fussy because the valve cover is behind some frame tubing. But with the proper tools, ( the 2in1, 9mm hex X 4mm square combo valve adjuster) and a decent longish feeler gauge it's no more difficult than doing most ChiCom scooter valves. Do them cold.

The frequent oil changes are because the engine's oil capacity is smallish, the RV250 has a bigger sump, and I think gets longer oil change intervals.

Keep an eye on the water cooling hose clamps and check the coolant level occasionally. They really never overheat, the cooling system is massive compared to the engine's heat output.
YamaGeek- Thanks for the insight- is this the kind of wrench of which you speak? http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro...FcsNtAodfCuGZw

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E