Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #31
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,532
A female friend of mine had no problems flat-footing the SYM, and she's 5' 6". As there is no tank in the way, you can slide forward off the seat if necessary.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #32
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,902
I will add that like Canuman says their standover height isn't excessive, It is a tallish scooter for a 125 or 200 (172cc's actually..) though, compared to the Buddy or TGB R9. So fairly short folks will feel a bit tippy-toeish at stoplights.

I like it's size, it has a taller profile in traffic, and it's weight isn't excessive, you really don't think much about it's height or weight once underway as it's so smooth and quiet, and the "16 wheels are much more like a motorcycle's in gyroscopic stability and being able to handle pot holes you can't nimbly flick it sideways to avoid. My one gripe about it is the floorboards as i prefer my floorboards flat, and it set up with two feet areas and raised bit between them. I've had the tupperware off the floor board and wondered why SYM didn't just make the floor board slightly wider and flatter.

I'm really nit picking here, it's an excellent scooter.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #33
Dabears OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
My wife is 5' 2". Unfortunately there are few scooters that would allow her to comfortably ride alone and have adequate seating and horsepower to handle two up.

We discussed maybe going with a Genuine Buddy to get a lower profile, but we decided we wanted to get something with better rear passenger capacity and ability to handle 55mph two up. AND it needed to be around 300lbs. The SYM seems to meet that criteria.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #34
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
I consider the SYM HD200 a best buy in scooters, even moreso if you find a new leftover at a nice discount like we did. It is simply an awesome scooter. We have one with a tail trunk on it. It uses a 4 valve water cooled engine with a ceramic coated cylinder. It comes with a two year warranty. Only SYM and Kymco offer this long of a warranty. Don't tell me an HD200 can't do US freeways. Ours has done it with no problems. My wife and I used to do multi day trips with her on her HD200 and me on my Sportster. The HD200 is fast, reliable, and very stabil with the big wheels and long wheelbase. We shipped my wife's when we moved from near Tacoma, Wa. to Keaau, Hawaii. I bought a new leftover Kymco People 150 in Kona as there are no SYM dealers on the Big Island.
If there are any drawbacks to the HD200 it would only be that they have no kick starter as a backup, and the tank, due to it's plumbing, is difficult to fill to the exact same level at each fill. A larger tank would be nice too, but most scooters are the same way. Parts? We haven't needed any, and ours is a 2008.
You'll pay more for about any other scooter, but you'll be passing up a fine ride in the HD200. Take one for a test ride, and hit the freeway at 55-65 mph. The SYM will do it all day.

Good luck in your choice.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #35
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I
If there are any drawbacks to the HD200 it would only be that they have no kick starter as a backup, and the tank, due to it's plumbing, is difficult to fill to the exact same level at each fill. A larger tank would be nice too, but most scooters are the same way. Parts? We haven't needed any, and ours is a 2008.
You'll pay more for about any other scooter, but you'll be passing up a fine ride in the HD200. Take one for a test ride, and hit the freeway at 55-65 mph. The SYM will do it all day.

Good luck in your choice.
I have to say on these points that the SYM is no worse than most as far as the fuel filling issue and the size of the tank. The fuel gauge appears to be about as accurate as any I've seen on a motorcycle, which means that it is not at all. I cruised for an hour once on dead empty (indicated) and still didn't run it dry. Stashing a spare liter of fuel adds additional security. There are few places here in the east where there isn't a gas station within 15 or so miles. If one were really going to turn it to an adventure scoot, I can think of several places where a Rotopax would mount nicely.

I can't think of any modern scooter and few modern street motorcycles that have a kicker. With the exception of MX types, we may be the last generation that knows the joys and frustrations of kicking a bike. My family's old Vespa 150 has a kicker, but it's as old as I am -- and becomes breathless above 45 mph.

I concur on the HD's ability to tackle freeways. The only modification that I did besides adding a windscreen was to pop in a set of Dr. Pulley variator weights.They give the bike a nice kick in the pants throughout the powerband, and make freeway speeds a real possibility. The HD doesn't appear to mind being run at the upper end of its range for hours. I wouldn't take it in heavy traffic in most cities, but I would also avoid such things on any bike I own.

The SYM was not designed as a luxury item for short rides on sunny days. It's from a country where a scooter is a family's sole means of transport. As to durability, I recall reading a report here where a South African gent had over 60,000 miles on his, and was happily scooting along.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #36
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
I agree completely. I bought a Citycom a year ago for $4k OTD and it is a fantastic machine. Does hightway fine, even interstate at 80mph passing cars all the way. It is perfectly engineered and produced as fun economical transportation. The wind and weather protection and storage is better than any street bike I've owned which were all overengineered anyway....who really rides 140mph?

I want to buy a HD200 for my wife...know were I can get a leftover?[/
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #37
Dabears OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR_guy View Post
I agree completely. I bought a Citycom a year ago for $4k OTD and it is a fantastic machine. Does hightway fine, even interstate at 80mph passing cars all the way. It is perfectly engineered and produced as fun economical transportation. The wind and weather protection and storage is better than any street bike I've owned which were all overengineered anyway....who really rides 140mph?

I want to buy a HD200 for my wife...know were I can get a leftover?[/
WR_guy- Check Cycletrader.com- there are a number of listings for new 2008s & 2009s. Can't tell where you're located....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
One scooter nobody has mentioned but would be worth checking out is the kymco Yager 200GTI. It is around the same weight as the Sym ( slightly more I think it's 304LBS ), has similar performance and fuel injection. I sat one on and it had a very comfortable seat and the passenger portion seemed comfortable too. It has smaller wheels and pretty good under seat storage. I don't know about the seat height, I'm 6-2 and really don't pay much attention to seat height.

I'm not saying it's a better choice than the Sym, just that it might be worth looking at.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
Yeah, my local bike shop just got a Yager in. I sat on it last Saturday. Not a bad scooter. I think it is actually 175cc with fuel injection. It should top out around 75 mph with decent gas mileage.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
WR_guy- Check Cycletrader.com- there are a number of listings for new 2008s & 2009s. Can't tell where you're located....

I'm in NYC
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #41
raybakh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm 6'2 and owned a SYM 150 since 2006 and have clocked 75,000 km this week.
I ride it 100km daily, full throttle all the way for 120km/h.
Oil & gear fluid change every 5,000km. CVT belt change every 10,000km.
Maintenance is a bit expensive here, other that than, i'm very happy especially when it rains, as my shoes are not wet.
The newer Sym 200 & 250i zoom faster and are steady at 140km/h.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #42
oldwingratbike
OldWing

Oddometer: 11
Dance !

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
I had a good long test ride on a HD200 (the rear drum brake version) and thought it was a very good scooter, but had an oportunity to buy my Scarabeo instead, but if not I would have bought the Sym. Nice quality scoot.

However, for your intended use, I would strongly consider the Vespa GTS 300 as it has real nice tie down points. Strapping a scooter down securely is very difficult, but with the Vespa tie down points on the frame it looks easy-peasy.
"Canyon Dancer " handlebar Tie Down Strap works GREAT on a scooter..
1973 r60/5
1998 r1100gs May Bee
1970 ct-70
1978 cm 185 bobber
oldwingratbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #43
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwingratbike View Post
"Canyon Dancer " handlebar Tie Down Strap works GREAT on a scooter..
Thanks for the tip on the Canyon Dancer Bar Harnesses! I looked at their website and looks like just the ticket when tying down my scooters.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #44
Dabears OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Canyon Dancer Bar Harnesses! I looked at their website and looks like just the ticket when tying down my scooters.
Just be aware you cannot use them on a shifty type scooter (like my old Vespa) without risking destroying the controls and steering head.

They're great if you have a 1 piece handlebar assembly that extends from one handgrip to the other. Avoid them if you have split handlebars (I'm talking scooters here, not cafe bars on motorcycles).

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #45
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootervillain View Post
My Citycom was $3495 out the door (plus another $50 to deliver 95 miles away) - this was a leftover from a boat dealer who sold scooters a few years back, but doesn't anymore - had 2 scoots left and was desperate to unload them. There are 3 SYM dealers within an hour of my house - the best deal on the new HD was a few hundred more. I figured the Citycom would work better if I ever jump on the interstate, plus it would have higher resale value.

The bike itself is pretty amazing - it's big (maybe 370 pounds, w/gas), but it has about the same get up and go as the HD200, with a slightly higher top end (82 mph indicated is as fast as I've gone). For a bigger bike (compared to my Buddy 150, for example), it's still quite nimble - all that weight doesn't seem to matter while you're moving. It feels right at home in curves (seriously, carves up any curve). Speedo seems about 3-5% optimistic at any given speed, which is pretty good for a scooter.

I saw an '09 on craigslist here for $2,900 with only 3k miles, but it sold before I could get over to look at it. For the record, mine is NOT FOR SALE!
The Citycom is a large bike for a middleweight (400 lbs curb and a 60 inch wheelbase) but that makes it a wonderful mile eater on the open road for my large six ft four plus self. I agree the cornering is outstanding. It feels better bent over in a turn than any other bike I have owned in 44 years of riding.

Mine cruises sweetly at an indicated 120 kph which is 68 mph honest . A little secret for all you Citycom riders out there. There is enough room on this bike thaat even if you are tall like me you can 'scoot' forward an inch or so and the difference in handling is astonishing. Do so and the bike will suddenly be rock solid and laser true. You can blast through wind storms and around high speed sweepers in a way that is hard to believe for a scooter.

It's like Clark Kent heading into the phone booth. It's not all day comfortable ridden like this; but it's a secret weapon when you need super handling.

I love this bike. There is nothing else scooter wise I would rather have.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote