Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
Great scooter. Congrats!

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #63
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,420
I just picked up one of these as well. Got it back on the road for under $1500 aussie (about $1400) with 12 months registration so I was happy with that. Only 13000kms but its a bit scrapy looking, but I don't really care. Its pretty fast, I am going to be a hooligan on it.

One thing is that the previous has set the fan to stay on all the time. He said that it was overheating in Brisbane traffic (can be quite hot over 30 degrees C or in the 90s F). But then I notice that the temp gauge doesn't move from the bottom, its winter here now so I expect it to be low especially with the fan running but....

So do the inmates think I will burn out the fan running it all the time?
Should I remove the fan on all the time? I am tempted to put a switch in and just only have it run in summer, that seems cheap and easy. Bit worried about doing that if I don't really have a gauge?
Is the temp gauge the real problem of the fan not coming on, though not sure how he could tell it was overheating if that doesn't work.
What should I check?
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #64
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
I'm on the SYM forum. As the fan was not designed to run constantly, and if I owned your scooter, I would simply disconnect the fan, then observe your temperature gauge. If it starts running too hot in slow traffic I'd hook the fan back up and reset the control unit to the original factory setting.

I live in the Arizona desert and my fan has yet to come on. Once, going up a 4 mile grade wide open in summer (98F) the temp gauge climbed to the 1/4 mark. Normally it stays just off the cold mark.

Plus, with the fan on constantly could constitute an un-natural drain on the battery.

But do go to the SYM forum; there are real experts there, plus one SYM dealership owner.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #65
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
The ceramic coated cylinder is what makes it run cooler. Put it back to factory setup. Change the radiator fluid and keep an eye on the temp gauge.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #66
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
My fan will sometimes come on if I'm in heavy traffic, like road construction, and I'm barely moving. In normal riding conditions, it never seems to get hot enough to actuate the fan. It's a 2008 with about 14,000 miles.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #67
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I have wired a couple of bikes with toggle switches so I could turn the fans on manually, because I felt they did not come on until the engine was already too hot. Turning on the fan at a lower temperature did indeed keep the engine cooler. In the summer in AZ, no engine is going to run too cool no matter what you do to it. I have never seen a cooling system, car or bike, that wasn't marginal at best here. Of course not all places have that problem.

Hopefully the coolant is green ethylene glycol. If it has that OAT or HOAT coolant in it, it will definitely plug up the radiator, and everything else it touches.

Since the HD200 has a carb, it is almost certainly jetted way to lean, which will definitely cause overheating. I don't know what kind of carb it is, but going up one jet size might bring the temperature down.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #68
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

JerryH wrote: "in the summer in AZ no engine is going to run too cool no matter what you do to it."

Except for the HD200.

My temp gauge gets off the cold mark, but not by much. DaBinChe mentioned the ceramic coated cylinder contributing to cool running. My fan has never come on and this is its second summer. gitsum owned it before me so it may have spent the first summer in New Mexico, which is not much better.

Anyway, he adjusted the carb so it wouldn't be so lean. Which no doubt helps, also.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #69
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,420
thanks all. I might disconnect the fan then see what the gauge does woukd be nice to know if the gauge does work.

I wouldn't actually say that brisbane is as hot as Phoenix ever, at least not in outright temperature. Flushing the radiator might be a good idea as well so ill do that.

I'll ask on the sym boards once I do the above as I will have more information then.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #70
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,725
Careful around that plastic. Mine was loose and I found this...

My fix...

Good as new now.

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #71
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post

Disappointment- only two things that irk me so far (and yes, I will certainly survive). First is the lack of any storage except under the seat. My Vespa only had a glove box, but it was big, and accessible while sitting on the seat. Sunglasses, gloves, maps, earplugs, towels, flashlight, tools, all right there. I put a rainsuit in the SYMs underseat area and can barely crunch my open face helmet in now. Going to have to figure that out.

Second annoyance- I'm having trouble seeing the turn signal indicators when the sun is shining- Even my 30+year old Vespa's indicators are visible in sunlight.
Congratulations on adding to the fleet Dabears!

My HD has an 'audible click' when my turn signals are engaged. Do you not have this? I wonder if this was an add on by the p.o..?? Sure wish my other bikes had this feature!

I agree and would have hoped for some front storage also. I added a Givi Tech 30 tail box that is very handy, but having something up front would be nice.

Best of luck with it!

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #72
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting. I have no problem hearing the turn signals, and seeing the TS dash indicators. Lack of storage? We do have a cargo box on the back of ours. The grocery bag hook is very stout. I haul lots of groceries and such on mine. My complaints about the HD200 are different than yours. Mine are:
1. No kick starter. And, I am starting to have intermittent starting problems. I hit the starter button, and nothing. Possible bad starter relay? But, if I had a kick starter, I wouldn't get stranded. Haven't been stranded yet, but the problem could get worse. Since you can't push start a twist and go scooter..........

2. It should be easier to add coolant to the surge tank. You should not have to get out your tools and go at it for this procedure. There should be a hatch with 2-4 screws you remove for easy access.

Other than those items, I could darn near sell my Toyota Tacoma pickup and use the HD200 for my only transportation. But I have to haul lumber, trash ect too often for that.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #73
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Interesting. I have no problem hearing the turn signals, and seeing the TS dash indicators. Lack of storage? We do have a cargo box on the back of ours. The grocery bag hook is very stout. I haul lots of groceries and such on mine. My complaints about the HD200 are different than yours. Mine are:
1. No kick starter. And, I am starting to have intermittent starting problems. I hit the starter button, and nothing. Possible bad starter relay? But, if I had a kick starter, I wouldn't get stranded. Haven't been stranded yet, but the problem could get worse. Since you can't push start a twist and go scooter..........

2. It should be easier to add coolant to the surge tank. You should not have to get out your tools and go at it for this procedure. There should be a hatch with 2-4 screws you remove for easy access.

Other than those items, I could darn near sell my Toyota Tacoma pickup and use the HD200 for my only transportation. But I have to haul lumber, trash ect too often for that.
Check your brake light switches.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #74
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

The brake lights work. But, when the starting malfunctions, I haven't checked to see if the brake are on or off. Whenever I check the brake lights, which is quite often, they work fine. I have to do the annual state inspection in August. I want to get that done, then plan on replacing the belt and rollers, as the scoots got almost 14,000 miles. Haven't done a belt before, so want to get that inspection sticker first, just in case I end up having to order tools or something. I checked the valves at 8000 miles, and they were perfect. Oil changes are a snap, and I also have a syringe I use when replacing the rear end oil, which is also super easy to do.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #75
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

The grocery bag hook is indeed stout. I have a Sierra Club smallish canvas back pack into which I stuff a 12 pack of soda (heavy) and other smaller items. Never a problem. To augment cargo-schlepping I fastened a medium-sized Seahorse hard case to the back rack (just like a Pelican case, but at about half the price). Pelican and Seahorse cases are waterproof - not that it matters all that much in the desert. Anyway, the case adds to carrying capacity.

I have no audible clicking sound when a turn signal is activated. It may be there, but I can't hear it with or without a helmet. And it is hard to see the blinking light during daylight.