Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #31
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
It's nice to hear what you've been doing for others Martin. I don't understand why some people find it hard to imagine that you might just want to help out a fellow traveler. I've witnessed the same from a fellow Triumphrat member this year. He helped two separate Aussie travelers secure bikes, titles and insurance. He'd never met these guys before. Some people do nice things for others, that's all there is to it. One of the Aussies has been here for 9 months now and many of us on the forum have opened our doors to him and are glad we did. The other person was here for 8 weeks and was also invited into other forum members homes often. I guess it's a win/win situation for everyone involved.
Keep up the good work Martin.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #32
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,284
Just found this thread, seems like a great service. I'm not sure how a non resident can get a plate here in NM but I'd be happy to help out if I knew it could be done. Of course in NM you can get a license even if you are here undocumented so it should be possible. I was looking for a thread about sharing bikes. I was loaned a bike for a cross OZ trip by a fellow ADV and in return he can borrow mine when he visits here. He hasn't show up yet but the offer always stands. This was a great example of trust. He even had his girlfriend meet me as he was out of town. Anyway "borrowing" a bike may be an alternative to buying. I'll entertain all offers
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #33
RidersShare
Ultra noob

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
I wish there was Airbnb for motorcycles.
There is going to be:

Www.riders-share.com

Tailored to all the extra risks involved in motorcycle riding, including theft.
RidersShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #34
antirich5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Thanks for the Rider Share link, sounds like an awesome idea.

My KTM 1190 Avd just sits in storage in the south west; would be nice if it made a few $$, while making someone happy. I can only fly out there a few times a year to ride.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #35
x32792
Cracker American

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Examples of deals put together in the last 6 months.

September 2011.
Suzuki strom 650. 2001, 22,000 miles, $4,200 fully kitted, trip ready, sold to British lady for USA trip.

November 2011
Suzuki Vstrom 1000, trip ready, $4000. Sold to local here who hired me to find one for him for Panama trip.
KLR, 2000, 18,000 miles, boxes, needed doo, sold for $1800 to my friend who was coming to Panama with me
KLR, 1999, 22,000 miles, Needed doo and rear shock, sold to Australian for SA trip. $1,800

March, 2012.KLR 1998, 32,000 miles, $1,300.............for a coworker.
March, 2012 KLR 2004, 5,600 miles, kitted out, trip ready, $3,400.....Sold to Australian traveler.
March, 2012 KLR 2000, 14,000 miles, kitted out, trip ready, $3,200.....Sold to Australian traveler. (needed doohickey)
March, 2012 Suzuki strom 650, 38,000 miles, no boxes, aftermarket pipe, $3,400, sold to German traveler

I charge $100 per bike to check them out and pick them up, more if they are more than one hour away.
As the clients are involved in the haggling process and are CC'ed in every email exchange, the potential for me to "profit" is zero and all cost savings are passed on to the eventual buyer.
Your'e doing gawd's work. Good on you.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #36
antirich5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
BTW: if anyone from over the pond needs some help looking at a bike on the East Coast/New Jersey area, let me know.

Not a business, and not asking for a dime. As with Wheatwhacker; it's just about good karma. I also like talking to travelers from other places, so there's some personal benefit i guess. Can't promise 24hr. trailer service or nothing, but I'll do what I can.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #37
auldublinr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Fyi

Just a FYI wheat whacker is now working out of Ireland helping guys get going in western islands and on to mainland Europe. I think you can find him in trip planning Europe
Safe travels
auldublinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #38
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
[UPDATE]
I have relocated to Ireland where I now run a similar business.
It seems an inmate here "Tuckers" has taken up the slack.

Please contact him if you need assistance.

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=20709

Quote:
I do what wheatwacker does and am based in Los Angeles California.

I have copy and pasted his discourse: changed the price of 'crash pad' and a couple of other things.

Buying a bike here is not a problem for foreigners. I am originally from England UK so have first hand experience.
You have 2 choices here.
A, pick out a bike on Craigslist.com that suits your budget.
I can help with the transaction and let you know what it needs for an extended trip. I can then pick up the bike and have it ready here when you arrive.
B. you can fly over and buy the bike yourself.

Either way, you can use my place here as a base. I have a garage, tools and expertise to help you.
I have a "crash pad" in my house where I let people stay for $30/night per person, basically to cover extra expenses and when I cook you are invited to eat home cooked meals. This is cheaper than any hostel/hotel/campground in the area and lets me invest in more tools for your use.

The bike can be registered at my address as can all insurance papers. Progressive insurance has been very helpful insuring people with foreign licenses and has surprisingly cheap rates considering they are unable to check driving records.

The 3 bikes I recommend for travel based on their availability, reliability and cheap prices are Kawasaki KLR 650, Suzuki Vstrom 650 and Suzuki DR 650

The Vstrom is an ideal bike for exploring North America and the others plenty fast enough for travel into Central and South America.

So far, happy trails and pelican seem to be the best combo for boxes.
The KLR's will need about $1000 extra spent to cover suspension, doohickey and other odds and ends.
The DR''s and Vstroms are usually trip ready except for luggage and fall protection, a lot of them already on the bike. The KLR guys seem to strip the aftermarket stuff and put it on their next bike.

I do DMV transfer and have your paperwork ready for you to head south without a hitch. Bike all titled in your name.

Shoot me an email if you have any more questions or need a price list of services.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,623
Great thread. Thanks for putting me in it Martin!
There are charges but as Martin says it can hardly be called a business as the money is non profit and goes right back in to the endeavor.
I spend hours and hours looking for bikes and then of course charge a small fee for completing the buy. It's not a piece of cake driving around Los Angeles to go buy a motorcycle, plus it takes two people if you are to buy the bike and ride it home. With time, gas, vehicle, wear and tear, expertise, handling, fixing, bargaining and whatever I assume Martin ends up like me and is in the hole a dollar or two. Then add in feeding and entertaining the travelers and it becomes a social event /party.....remember these folks are just starting perhaps the biggest vacation and adventure they have ever had. It's an intrusion in our daily lives that we welcome because we love motorcycles and people. Factor in that some people can be difficult or anti-social and you never know what you may get.
On a daily basis it drives my wife crazy how much time I spend with the travelers....chatting...drinking...eating..messing with bikes...pouring over maps..on and on............plus we have to live our own life with all that takes what with 8 grandchildren and a large property to take care of. Not to mention we love to ride too and re-schedule our own trips to accommodate incoming travelers.
Is it a business? NO...it's an expenses paid help......I used to do it for free without expenses.....but after the first couple of travelers you can see how much time and money it takes. Some people (most) know nothing about USA and we have to help them with EVERYTHING. At the end of the day all we have spent is TIME hopefully and all $'s spent are on the traveler.
Next one we do I will count the time. Right now I am at 1/2 hour with my next project....a traveler Martin graciously referred to me....we shall see just how much time is involved...and actual $'s for gasoline and such....it's not uncommon to drive 100 miles here to go buy a bike:
100 miles....how much a mile $1?
2 people....about 4 hours to go hundred miles and buy a bike..how much?
Store bike in garage until traveler arrives..do any repairs requested..$?
Welcome traveler, a comfortable room, hot shower, feed, drink.......$?
Spend literally hours and miles with them finding clothes and etc...$?
Have them rummage around your garage, using whatever they need..$?
Plus it goes on and on.....and we do it repetitively, for the money?....NO..because we like it...there is no money it's all gone...at the end of the day it's just a friendly interaction with hopefully other like minded people. If it was a BUSINESS we would advertise everywhere...we ONLY do ADV...that's all....we trust ADV people and it's a great community.
So instead of saying it's a business let's say we'll help you but of course you have to pay the expenses..how's that....seem fair?
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #40
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
I think it is really cool what you guys do for motorcycle travelers. I hope to visit wheatwhacker while in Ireland this June.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote