User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
GAwoody83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
ATL to Orlando, Daytona

Last Sunday my dad and I got the chance to ride from Snellville, GA to Orlando for a plastics trade show. I have just acquired a newer bike, 2002 FZ1, and my dad has just come back from having a hip replacement. My dad has not ridden his bike for about a year due to his hip being in such discomfort. My dad planned the trip out saying we will ride there (Orlando) and see the show and ride back to Lake City that night afterwards. I promptly added that Daytona was just an hour away from Orlando and we should stay there that night and ride the beach in the morning and then head back up, my plan was well taken.
We left out in the morning, and found no problems with traffic, weather or idiots in Atlanta traffic. I was supprised that my dad was doing soo well being back on the bike with little discomfort. We made it to Perry, GA before we made our first stop, he was still chipper and willing to quickly get back on and head off. We stopped for the night in Leesburg, FLA at some fully neglected "Palms Hotel", but at a quick $40 bucks for the night, it was better than the $120 in Orlando that we were finding online.

my dads bike, 1996 Yamaha Royal Star tour deluxe

The "Palms" was welcoming if you like one used bar of soap that was split in half and dried out, one half on the sink, and the other on the shower floor. The shower was a joke, it had water coming from a spicket so it was a "shower" but you had no control over the temp, just some false knobs and a ball valve near the spicket. The bed was like laying on a hammock, no support and you just sing in, and in, and in. The TV would turn its self on during the night and had to be unplugged. Then we ran into Orlando and found a truely amazing trade show at the Orlando Orange County Convention Center. The show was 21 MILLION square feet! HUGE! We walked around all day looking at what we will be dreaming about having in our shop and what was just cant have.
After the show, we rode to Daytona, and found a much better hotel for just $5 more. SOAP, Hot and Cold water, Towels (for both people!) and a TV that stays off if you want it off.The next morning, we got up, packed and had a good breakfast at IHOP and cruised over to ride on the beach. It was my first time riding a street bike on the beach, and I about dumped it over for the first 50 feet, the rear wheel going back and forth, me trying to keep the bike up and find a packed down lane in the sand. My dad was behind me so he could watch me do this, as he has done this many times before. Once I got the bike under control, I was able to hear him laughing from the beach entrance. We found a place to park the bikes and get off and enjoy the ocean. My dad had a kick stand sand plate and I did not, thinking I will just use the center stand and event thought it should sink in, it should be better that leaning over. It worked, the bike stood and felt some what stable. We spent some time enjoying the beach and it was time to call it and pack up and go home. As I was loading my dads sand plate into his saddlebag, I noticed my bike was leaning over to me, as I reached to stop it falling, I failed. The bike came down on my knee and the mirror hit my dads saddlebag and broke off part of my windshield. After finding my bike lying on top of my leg, thankfully in soft sand so there was no damage to either from the fall, I noticed my bike was pinned under my dads bike. So making him pull away, freeing my bike and myself, I was able to stand my bike back up, get it going again and move to harder sand.

Thinking that "this is going to be one turbulent ride home", my dad suggested superglue. I said "what the hell". IT WORKED, holy crap it worked. 8 hours home on the freeway going 75+mph it held. We headed north on 95 to Jacksonville, and took 10 across to 75 and headed back up. All in all the trip was 1,052 miles for me and it was a great trip to have my dad back on his bike and enjoying it again.
GAwoody83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,458
Well we sure did have some nice weather for ya. Nice to go back to some spring - had too much summer this week. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,606
You're a lucky guy to be able to ride w/ your dad.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
shocker4her
When I am King

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerph View Post
you're a lucky guy to be able to ride w/ your dad.
+1
One BIG ASS Mistake America
shocker4her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
GAwoody83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I agree, it has been a treat.
GAwoody83 is offline   Reply With Quote