User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
Selling a vehicle on Craig'slist, and payments

This may not be the best place to post this, but I figured you some of you would have experience w/ this.

I'm trying to sell a vehicle on Craig/s list and am concerned about protecting myself from being screwed. Since there is a chance someone may want to buy the vehicle sight unseen and I may never even see the buyer, I need to protect my self.

What would be the downside of using paypal as a form of payment. If buying this way I may never even see the buyer and want to make sure I get the money! Is there a way the buyer can get my truck and leave me empty handed??

What other forms of payment could work and how can I guarantee the funds are there??

Thanks for any advise!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 10:24 AM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,146
All of my CL transactions have been in person and cash. I would never even have the title accessible when meeting with a potential buyer. No test drives unless they pile the asking price in cash in my hand. Paypal would be reasonable and probably riskier for the buyer than the seller. Once payed, I'd Fedex the paperwork to the buyer and pull the money from the Paypal account.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,121
Face to face cash in hand prior to signing the title or keys is one way to do it.

You can also take USPS money orders and turn them into cash in hand prior to signing title and release of the vehicle.

PayPal will work, but takes several days to clear deposit into your account for reciept of same, and transfer into your primary account which PayPal as no priveleges. Do not sign title or release the vehicle until funds confirmed.

Electronic transfer. I sold a very nice Porsche to a sight unseen buyer out of state. All they need is your name and address to deposit funds in your account without ever releasing your account number. Not hard to do if the payer wants to do that.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Cash in hand. I have bought before with a cashiers check drawn on the sellers bank (so easily verifiable) but most people who aren't scamming you will deal in cash
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
stickwelder
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I bought my Guzzi on CL

I bought my Moto Guzzi Eldorado from a guy in Kansas on Craigslist and had it shipped to Oregon. We agreed on the price over the phone. I spoke with him three times by phone. I sent a bank cashiers check to his mailing address. I was able to google the address and get a street view. I also looked him up in the white pages. I think the seller was as leary as I was of the transaction. I had a shipper pick up the bike and it arrived with no problem. I had to send the title back once for another signature. Bottom line is if I get the feeling I can't find the brick and morter house and call the person who lives in it...forget it.
stickwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I was going to ask for name, address, home phone, do a search to verify. Once I've gotten that info, try and ask for a copy of his driver's license, less DL number to verify what he has told me earlier. Not sure if the buyer will agree to send me a scanned copy via email though???

Of course it's a leap of faith on the buyer that the truck is as described. I've told him I would prefer he see it in person. I'll be sending a very detail description of it, as that's what I would want...especially sight unseen!!! Not to mention the tons of picts posted.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 216
A few years ago I sold a '47 Chevy streetrod on craigslist. I was in GA and the buyer was in Minneapolis. We emailed back and forth, I sent a lot of photos, and we talked on the phone. We agreed to do a deal. I emailed him a scanned copy of the title. He sent me a bank cashier's check. I deposited the check and confirmed validity; no hold on cashiers checks. I overnighted the completed title. He arranged shipping. The shipper picked it up and I heard back from the buyer after he got the car.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I had my Harley listed for sale last year. I immediately had someone request my pay account info so they could buy it. Long story short there are a lot of scammers out there looking to sell your PayPal account info or email info. Be careful.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHADV View Post
I had my Harley listed for sale last year. I immediately had someone request my pay account info so they could buy it. Long story short there are a lot of scammers out there looking to sell your PayPal account info or email info. Be careful.
One thing that concerns me, isthe last two times I've emailed him he replies quickly. My latest email he replied with in 15 minutes. IT was a FULL description which would have taken a while to read. I replied asking for his full name, address (current residence) and phone number.

I'm a little concerned, just have a feeling that something i'sn't right. Maybe I'm paranoid, I'll see what his responce it.

This is his latest reply-

I just contact the Agent that will assist me handle the pick up and the necessary paper works, I cannot come for the pick up due to the nature of my work, but the agent will assist me handle the pick up when all the payment has been made, the requested amount will be send to you via my VERIFIED PayPal account, I will need the address where the agent will meet you for the inspection and for the pick up also. i will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com

Get back to me with your PayPal email address so i can send the money to you now.

Thanks

..and what I've sent him-
Did you even have time to read what I sent you??I will need your full name, address (i.e. place of residence), and phone number. Conditions if paying via pay pal, funds must clear pay pal, then from pa pal funds must be transferred to my account and clear there also.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
george248
runwhatUbrung

Oddometer: 16
Sounds like a freaking scammer to me... If somebody wants your bike, they will show up cash in hand. If they can't do this then tell them to piss off.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,054
Yep that sure sounds like a scam. If the shipper is going to come over and pick it up, the shipper can also bring cash to hand to you.

run away from that one.

Marc

Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Pay close attention to the sentence structure/general syntax of the reply you posted. That smacks of Nigerian, brother. Don't even bother replying to the guy again.

Maybe I'm a little too trusting, but I've bought and sold bunches of bikes over the internet and the few stumbles I've encountered were easily and quickly resolved because I'd verified the buyer/seller were real people, located where they said they were, and that were genuinely looking to engage in commerce. Pretty sure you're not dealing with any of that at the moment.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I always look for grammar mistakes. This was worded well coming from DF James. I did a search and found out it is a scam.

What was most alerting is I expect certain questions, what those actually are I don't know, but maybe questions about certain things mentioned in the description. Plus no real dickering on the price! He mentioned he wanted the item 1st and brought up pay pal right off. I would expect questions first, before mentioning wanting the truck. I don't expect an online purchase to go so quickly and easily, that's what really troubled me. Hell if I were buying something that expensive online I'd have tons of questions and would want to talk to the person direct! I don't trust people especially when dealing with money.

The first email said he was looking for a truck for his son, but he is out of state coaching rugby. very plausible. Next email made reference to work. OH, well it's been a good little exerciser. Bet he doesn't respond to my last email, as I requested certain personal info, and conditions to Pay Pal use. Most notably must clear Pay Pal, then must be transferred to my account and clear there too.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 03:16 PM
Old 04-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
CoffeeGuy
Coffee is 99% Water

Oddometer: 170
Scam

As others have stated, this is definitely a scam.

This is one situation, unlike internet forums (and apparently business correspondence) in which spelling and syntax count.

Agent? Really? "Paper works"?

Run away. Now.

You were right to post it here. You should be weary of anyone you don't speak with on the phone.

St. Louis Cardinals
2006 WS Champions
2011 WS Champions
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Cash, PayPal, or electronic transfer, even if I see them in person, I won't take a M.O. or bank check, they can be forged.