ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
cleefurd OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
990 Adventure forks...

-----------

cleefurd screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 01:15 AM
cleefurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,980
Yeah, heavier springs will make a big difference...a re-valve will also go a long ways towards helping the big girl keep her head up. She tends to blow right through the first few inches of travel, and that's all valving. It's fixable, though.

New bushings and seals would be wise as well, considering what you're planning on doing.

Spring? Heavy...real heavy - 6.0 or better, I'd think.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
IMHO - (for those taking the behemoth off-road) a re-valve and re-spring is absolutely necessary.
I'm <175lbs, and went from the stock .49s to .60, redid (all) the valves, and replaced the stock seals with SKFs. Well worth it, and one of the best mods you can do for this bike.
No more diving, front and rear move as one now, and she feels tight !
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,017
Not much in the way of special tools needed for these forks. Maybe a pin wrench for the top, and a way to hold the rebound damping rod in a vise without damaging it (i.e., a piece of wood or stiff rubber with a hole drilled in it, and then cut in half). A seal driver is the only other thing I can think of, that can be made from a piece of pvc pipe or a pvc coupling. Lots of people work on their own forks, look around a bit.

Also, I see no reason to replace seals and bushings before their time: my original seals are still working fine at 57k.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Also, I see no reason to replace seals and bushings before their time: my original seals are still working fine at 57k.
- while the stock KTM seals (NOK on newer models) are of decent quality, replacing the seals can significantly improve/minimize stiction, as well as better protect the fork (ie: SKFs have a double seal vs the stock single, etc...)

When replacing my seals, I felt the difference (in resistance) between the NOK and SKF seals, and it was significant.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
- while the stock KTM seals (NOK on newer models) are of decent quality, replacing the seals can significantly improve/minimize stiction, as well as better protect the fork (ie: SKFs have a double seal vs the stock single, etc...)

When replacing my seals, I felt the difference (in resistance) between the NOK and SKF seals, and it was significant.

Quality seals, polishing of the lower, correct springs I'd say .64kg to .67kg depending where you are riding, and what type of rider you are, and a revalve to get the best performance. These have a mid-stroke harshness that needs to be addressed with modifying the midstroke tap, and valving changes.
There is no need for replacing the cartridges on these forks, they are high quality, and with some tweaking of the piston's, polishing, skf seals, and valving changes you wouldn't believe the transformation unless you were to ride one that has been modified.
Theres a saying in the suspension world: You dont know good suspension, until you ride it!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
Quality seals, polishing of the lower, correct springs I'd say .64kg to .67kg depending where you are riding, and what type of rider you are, and a revalve to get the best performance. These have a mid-stroke harshness that needs to be addressed with modifying the midstroke tap, and valving changes.
There is no need for replacing the cartridges on these forks, they are high quality, and with some tweaking of the piston's, polishing, skf seals, and valving changes you wouldn't believe the transformation unless you were to ride one that has been modified.
Theres a saying in the suspension world: You dont know good suspension, until you ride it!

There's the other saying that i think is really bang on!

"The best you ridden is the best you know"
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

The forks that come with the Adventures (in all the travels they offer) are top notch components, ones that if you want to buy off the shelf for other bikes would come in the range between $1.000 to 2.000, so believe me, is not cheap in any respect.

Good luck with your desition.
Altough i would have recommend to you superplush, i don't have it, but many people talk real good about it.
They also have a lot of knowledge with KTM suspension and can even modify the travel in your suspension.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure why you're being given such high prices - I bought my .64 springs from KTMtwins, had one of our local suspension gurus (http://www.rmrsuspensions.com/) do a full fork service (clean, polish, fresh oil, etc...), replace the stock seals with SKFs, and rebuild the valves - all for under $500 !
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleefurd View Post
GZero that changes things. I had heard "superplush" being mentioned, but never knew it was a shop. and more-over did not realize they could bump the shocks to "S" specs. For $344 more than the AK-20 front, the Superplush route would also net an "S" spec rear shock to match.
Hmmmmm
Yes, the best you can do is send the forks and the shock and have all of them revalved, serviced and re-sprung to your specs, i bet the end result will be where you want it to be.
And if you want the extra travel, then yes, they have all those solutions. I also think their prices are right where they should be.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
Not sure why you're being given such high prices - I bought my .64 springs from KTMtwins, had one of our local suspension gurus (http://www.rmrsuspensions.com/) do a full fork service (clean, polish, fresh oil, etc...), replace the stock seals with SKFs, and rebuild the valves - all for under $500 !
Superplush quoted me 750 for both the forks and shock without modifying the travel (i'm 2004, so i have more than enough).
so, that would be around 375 for the forks, so it's around the price you said.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure what they mean by "stretch labor" on the rear shock. Hopefully not yanking the ends apart on the spring. Would prefer the correct replacement.
lol, no, they won't.
But the best would be for you to call james tomorrow and ask him your questions.
you'll get better answers
Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I think 'cleefurd's account has been hacked.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
enduronoob
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
-----------
greetings first post here...have a philosophical question...
why would a company like ktm make a bike with forks that dont work well?
so many test hours and engineers with race xp just didnt see what you guys all complain about?
enduronoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduronoob View Post
greetings first post here...have a philosophical question...
why would a company like ktm make a bike with forks that dont work well?
so many test hours and engineers with race xp just didnt see what you guys all complain about?
The bike isn't built as a race bike. It's not custom. It's a production one-size-fits all. Every rider is different and every terrain a rider rides is varied. Custom tuning on a bike applies to everything from a seat to bars and of course, suspension. It's not that KTM ignores this, it's just that KTM isn't manufacturing a custom off road race bike tailored to each rider. They are providing a platform, ;)
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote