User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Dancer OP
Another Dan

Oddometer: 186
30 Years Ago

It was the winter of 81/82, an idea probably born in a bar over yet another glass of Iron City, maybe an IC Lite. Lets go to Arizona to see Jim's uncle and aunt. More Iron please barkeep, we got a plan here. Lets see who is up for a big trip. We don't even know anybody that has done something like this. My cousin is fixin to move to Colorado in a month or so, lets visit him too!
Of course we had to have many more planning meetings, same bar, same stools, more Iron City. We soon set a date, the day after Good Friday, to leave from Evans City, Pa., head south on I 79 to meet up with Jim coming out of the city of Pittsburgh. He was a Pittsburgh paramedic at the time and had to live in the city. He missed the farewell party Friday night.

Me on my 79 KZ 650
[IMG][/IMG]

Dancer screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 11:41 PM
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

The pictures are from an old 110 camera and 25 years old so I am hoping they aren't too bad after scanning them and trying my first ever ride report.
I am also using photobucket. If I ever get back on 2 wheels I will go with smugmug as it looks way better for computer idiots like me. It was a cold April day and we left in the middle of a Saturday. Not many pictures the first couple days.

This was all new to us, none of the 3 of us had been this far west before.

ATGATT for the time.

Dancer screwed with this post 01-22-2007 at 02:18 AM
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

We were riding 2 650 Kawasaki's and an 850 Yamaha.

It was Wednesday until we got to Phoenix, 96 degrees, way warmer than the 40 degrees when we left in Pa.

This would be home for the next week for Smoke and I, Jim claimed a bedroom in the house.

It would be hot and sunny the entire time in Phoenix.

Had to take this picture, Smoke went to MARS High School.

Dancer screwed with this post 01-22-2007 at 02:21 AM
Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

After a week in Phoenix with temps near 98 degrees each day it was time to head north on more of our planned route. Next stop Montezuma Castle Nation Monument.

After that was the Red Rocks and Sedona then Oak Creek Canyon.

As we reached the north end of Oak Creek Canyon and climbed the switchbacks we were greeted to the sight of the San Francisco Mts. and SNOW. Damn, does it snow in Arizona? It's April and all the snow is gone in Pennsylvania. It's mud season back east.

Our first ever, (and only) stop at a Jack in the Box. It didn't do anything for us. Sorry we didn't take pictures of our meals as I didn't think I would need them 25 years later as proof we ate while riding bikes.

We then headed to this.

Ok, question time. What were the first words out of your mouth the first time you laid eyes on the Grand Canyon.
Everyone I have ever talked to said they were, "HOLY SHIT". The size just can't be described to anyone that has never been there.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

After staying the night and seeing the South Rim and buying the entire contents of the gift shops there we headed east stopping at the overlooks on the way out of the park.

But as we stopped at one of the overlooks who do we meet up with but 3 mature, (like us) girls about to enter the canyon with backpacks and wanting some hiking companions. Shit! Whats a guy to do, we can't leave our bikes and gear here or take it with us. I'm sure the Park Rangers wouldn't have anything to do with us riding the bikes down with the girls.
Oh well, I'm engaged and thunderchicken, (now the ex-wife) whom I would come back here with the following spring with on a lovely 2 week honeymoon would not like for me to be hiking with 3 hot college girls in a VW microbus.
Note: The 2 week honeymoon the next year was 2/3 of the entire marriage.

Hind sight does not always equal 20-20.

Heading east toward Colorado.

Who has seen this rock formation and knows what it is named?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

We rode in the cold toward 4 corners seeing so much none of us had ever seen before. The scenery was enough to boggle the mind, we had never seen cactus, desert, canyons, Indians, Mexicans, tumble weeds and there was nothing in sight yet so much to see. And we were atop our iron rides in the air free as a bird enjoying every bit of life.

4 corners for those of you not having the good fortune to ride through this area is the only place in the good ole USA that 4 states meet. It is a tourist trap now, but back then most everyone pissed there just to say they pissed in 4 states at once.
sidenote: I didn't, not me, no sir, huh uh.

With a stop in Durango that night and some R & R at the Strater Hotel and the Diamond Belle Saloon we woke with big heads and an idea we were to go north some more. I have a cousin that had just moved to Gunnison and we were going to hook up with him when we got there.

We were about to see what "BIG SNOW" was all about.

We mostly rode and froze our way to Gunnison and didn't get many pictures until we awoke to sunshine and 6 inches of snow. But the sun did her job and all we had to do was get the bikes fired up and head east over Monarch Pass toward home.

Oh Shit!

For those of you that think you know where my cousins house is, it is just before you start up Ohio Creek Pass. Back then it is just before where the bulldozer that plowed the snow would turn around and head back toward Gunnison.

Dancer screwed with this post 01-22-2007 at 02:02 AM
Old 01-22-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

We were thawed out and ready to head east.

Monarch Pass had been closed but opened just as we got there. Heads were shaking as we passed the bottom of the mountain where the snow gates are located, we found out why real fast.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Dancer

Who has seen this rock formation and knows what it is named?

I don't know the name of those twin rocks. But I do know the name of those rocks above, "Baby Rocks" just north of Kayenta.

Here they are from the opposite direction this past summer.

Nice report. '81/'82 I was a drunken college student in Flagstaff. When you were riding through Oak Creek Canyon I was probably drinking beer down at the creek.
FlagGS

FlagRS screwed with this post 01-22-2007 at 02:48 AM
FlagRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #9
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

That brings me to the end of the pictures. We slabbed it to Pennsylvania with only 1 stop to see Dodge City, it took about 3 minutes of our time and it was east we went. Cold again the entire way but we got back to Evans City about drinking time Friday night and stopped to let everyone know we were home. Most of them said, Oh, you were gone? It's your turn to buy.
Just over 5,200 miles, 14 days and some of the best memories a person could have. The 650 Kawasaki was the best bike I ever owned and I replaced it with a new Wing about 3 months later. But that was the bike.
Kids, work, heart attack and cancer probably ended my riding days, but as long as you'all keep posting ride reports here I won't have to wonder what I am missing. But this is the way it was 25 Years Ago.
Be safe.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #10
Dancer OP
Another Dan

25 Years Ago

They are called "Elephant Legs." I saw that on a map later and for some dumb reason it has stuck with me.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #11
vol245
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Great report. I've lived in the Phoenix area since '73 and graduated from high school here in '75. It was great seeing pics from back then.

That was crazy riding through Colorado. I was cold just looking at the pics. The roads looked plenty treacherous for cars.

Sorry to hear of your health problems. Good luck and this site is fantastic.
vol245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,215
That was a great post. Loved seeing the pics from years ago.

I took a ride in the summer of '77 on a KZ650 from California, through Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. Saw many of the same places as you did. It was a great ride - one of my earliest adventure rides.

And you're right, the KZ650 was a great bike back then.

Gonna have to see if I can find the pics from that ride.

Thanks again for sharing and reminicing...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!! Pretty good pics considering the 110 film you used!! What a great journey... And that pretty babe washing the car in the rain!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #14
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Another great report from great rides long ago Thanks for scanning the pics and taking the effort to get it posted.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #15
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,531
Must have been fun, there is a guy who rides in Ojai Ca with the same, black fairings and bags, see him all the time.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote