User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #31
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpracer171 View Post
I will be coming to Erlangen, Germany this summer if it all comes together with the Job offer.
Very cool, some fantastic riding in that area. The "Steigerwald Höhenweg" for example, or the "Fränkische Schweiz" (Frankonian Switzerland) between Forchheim and Bayreuth.

Make sure you visit the "Heckenhof" inn near Aufseß (around 30km north east of Forchheim, shows up on google maps), one of the biggest bikermeets in the area. At least a hundred bikes every sunny weekend, plus homebrewed beer!

The B470 between Ebermannstadt and Pottenstein is extremely poular among riders from the area and beyond, very scenic.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
Hey Tex Medic, you a member of twt? I'm over there as busarider1. We may have met on a Pie Run a long time ago.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #33
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I am on twt, down in Kingsville. I started riding in the Ft. Hood/Killeen area and then a little in Houston and down here in Kingsville.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #34
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
For some reason I think we met at the Hard 8 for your first Pie Run. I remember meeting some chopper doc at that time.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #35
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope, not me. I think we may have had a conversation or two. I recognize your bike.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #36
cruiseninak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_medic View Post
So, I'm getting ready to move to Kaiserslautern. Which bike do I bring and which do I sell here in the states before I go?

I've got a 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 that I'm planning on taking with me for the roads.

I need to make a decision between my 2002 Honda CR250r 2-stroker and my 4 stroke 1999 Yamaha WR400f. I'm not a motocross track guy, I've always enjoyed riding trails and adventuring off the beaten path. What kind of dirt riding can I look forward to in that area? Are there any amateur clubs where I could join to improve my skills or even race enduros or hare scramble style races? Let me know, I can't wait for this adventure to start.
Hey I am headed to the same area. I am bring the KLR. Maybe get together for a ride.

Pat
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #37
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sure!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Oddometer: 361
Its time

Some great info here. I have decided to bring only the F800GS to GErman. Selling the WR 450. However, I am not Military, so will the Advanced MSF course be of benefit to help me get a license in Germany> I can take it next weekend here in PA at no cost. However with all of the other moving things going on, I do not want to take it if it will not help? Anyone who can advise?
2013 Husqvarna Nuda
If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #39
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Now I see why you were asking about the MSF course. I'm not sure about the civilian side. I know that I will probably have to take it for the military. I also want to take it because I haven't sat on my bikes in almost three months and I'm in a new riding environment. We'll see!

I brought both my WR400 and my Tiger 1050, so I'm down to ride anything we can find!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #40
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
MSF Course - Germany

I read recently that due to budget cuts, the MSF course will no longer be offered to anyone in Germany who is not active duty. That also means an MSF card will no longer be a requirement for civilian employees and contractors to get the US Army Europe motorcycle license.

However, the rules here change at the whim of commanders like everywhere else in the military. If you have the opportunity to get an MSF course in before you come to Germany, I would recommend that you take it.

Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #41
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

I am not military, will the German Government take the MSF course for their requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwo79 View Post
I read recently that due to budget cuts, the MSF course will no longer be offered to anyone in Germany who is not active duty. That also means an MSF card will no longer be a requirement for civilian employees and contractors to get the US Army Europe motorcycle license.

However, the rules here change at the whim of commanders like everywhere else in the military. If you have the opportunity to get an MSF course in before you come to Germany, I would recommend that you take it.

Dave
2013 Husqvarna Nuda
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #42
sfwo79
euroromper

Not Likely

Quote:
I am not military, will the German Government take the MSF course for their requirements?
Not likely the MSF will do you any good for your German license. The Germans believe they are better than anybody at training drivers and expect you to go through a course given by a licensed instructor, then pass the written and practical tests.

I can't argue with the fact that they produce better drivers here. This country is far safer for motorcyclists than the USA.

Dave
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #43
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Curious

From various discussions, it sounds likes there is a bit of "interpretation" by the Germany government about who needs how much training/instruction. Would it matter or help if I can document my past Professional Motorcycle Roadracing experience? Past Expert racing license, magazines with name and pictures for rookie of the year or class championships wins? Just a thought and trying to make this the least expensive and time consuming. I know I will need to take the test, but the instruction parts is the thorn in my side.
2013 Husqvarna Nuda
Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #44
sfwo79
euroromper

Quote:
From various discussions, it sounds likes there is a bit of "interpretation" by the Germany government about who needs how much training/instruction. Would it matter or help if I can document my past Professional Motorcycle Roadracing experience? Past Expert racing license, magazines with name and pictures for rookie of the year or class championships wins? Just a thought and trying to make this the least expensive and time consuming. I know I will need to take the test, but the instruction parts is the thorn in my side.
All I can say is you can try. If you are Military/Gov't/Contractor on status, it's not an issue. But if you are coming as a civilian, you will have to deal with the German burocracy.
D
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
Will you be under the SOFA?
How about behind the easy chair?

(sorry - I couldn't resist )
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)