Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #31
mrbindc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Sweet bike, I really like the recent changes. What type of speedo did you mount on it?
mrbindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
Player B OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbindc View Post
Sweet bike, I really like the recent changes. What type of speedo did you mount on it?

Its an Acewell 4553. Its a bit pricer than the 2853 everybody seems to be using, but I prefer it for a couple of reasons
1. There's an option to turn off the gas gauge, so it doesn't constantly blink
2. The mechanical tach needle just looks damn good
3. There is a voltmeter built into it. I had some charging issues, which I eventually tracked down to the circuit board and the gen light. It was intermittently working. Got myself stranded twice, luckily pretty close to home both times. I replaced the Gen Light with a small resistor and haven't had any problems since. Now I can keep a close eye on my battery
Player B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #33
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
That thing looks great.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #34
gfx
gfx

Oddometer: 40
Really love the frugal and simplistic changes you've made so far. Is that the stock front wheel fender? It looks really sporty compared to the full-length ones on the older /6's and /7's. It looks like someone chopped up the stock one.

What kind of mufflers are those?

R.I.P - 1988 BMW K75S "Red Rocket"
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #35
Player B OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
Really love the frugal and simplistic changes you've made so far. Is that the stock front wheel fender? It looks really sporty compared to the full-length ones on the older /6's and /7's. It looks like someone chopped up the stock one.

What kind of mufflers are those?
You are correct. Both the front and rear fenders are the stock components. They just had run ins with the dremel. In fact, the two sections I lopped off the front fender are big enough that I'm thinking of using one to make a hugger style fender for the rear.

The mufflers are units from cone engineering. They come needing a little extra assembly. Ideally I think I would have just welded them in place, but I don't have access to a quality welder at the moment. Instead I took a thin blade on the angle grinder and cut in 3 evenly spaced slits on the end that goes over the exhaust. A heavy duty clamp from dime city cycles holds them down in place. Initially I was a little worried that I don't have any additional supports bolted to the frame, but it's been 4-5 months now and they haven't budged at all.

They really scream when you get up above 5k rpm. But aren't too obnoxious at cruising speeds. Hopefully at some point soon I can swap bikes with a friend and get to hear what it actually sounds like from a third person perspective.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #36
gfx
gfx

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player B View Post
The mufflers are units from cone engineering. They come needing a little extra assembly. Ideally I think I would have just welded them in place, but I don't have access to a quality welder at the moment. Instead I took a thin blade on the angle grinder and cut in 3 evenly spaced slits on the end that goes over the exhaust. A heavy duty clamp from dime city cycles holds them down in place. Initially I was a little worried that I don't have any additional supports bolted to the frame, but it's been 4-5 months now and they haven't budged at all.
Any chance for some pics? I've been interested in replacing mine with the medium-length cones for a while, and I'm about the most timid person on the planet when it comes to doing anything like that without some photographs.

R.I.P - 1988 BMW K75S "Red Rocket"
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
Player B OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
Any chance for some pics? I've been interested in replacing mine with the medium-length cones for a while, and I'm about the most timid person on the planet when it comes to doing anything like that without some photographs.

here's the Part of the muffler that slips over the exhaust. Pictures not great, but you can see how the slits were cut. This allows the clamp to tighten it down over the exhaust. They're probably 5/8" long. It's slid onto the exhaust as far as possible, and the clamps tightened down. These are the clamps I used.

Player B screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 11:04 AM
Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
Player B OP
Adventurer

Here's a close up of the the battery bracket I made. It is just some sheet metal from Lowe's, cut with a band saw, drilled a couple of holes for looks, and bent on a sheet metal brake. Bolted down in the same 3 locations the Airbox is. There is a layer of rubber and insulation put down before the battery. The inner tube bands are probably unnecessary, but they are used to secure everything down into place. Assembly is a little tricky, but once its all in there, it doesn't want to go anywhere.

Sorry, for the blurry pics. I could swear these looked better when I took them last night.

I saw this on another build from the DoTheTon forums. Placing the filter pods on the the ends of the original intake manifolds. I know there has been a lot of previous work done to optimize similar options. Most of it is way above my head. But overall, it should reduce the turbulence of the airflow into the carburetor. I haven't had any serious issues balancing the carbs to the pods, but I also never really got idle to smooth out as nice as it was with the airbox there. Haven't taken it for a serious ride yet, but I did start it up in the garage and the idle seemed to be just a bit smoother than it has been.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #39
Player B OP
Adventurer

Well, have had a couple of requests about the seat and subframe modifications. Took some pics, but we've had crappy weather in dallas the last several days so they're inside and may be a little dark.

The seat is a motollana unit, but recently DCC has started carrying their own that look very similar too.

Here's the bottom of the seat. You can see where I had to cut into the rear section so I could fit the cover flush.

The rear hoop was cut off the subframe and brackets welded on the front and back. The the front tabs slide into the front bracket and the seat bolts down to the rear section.

So far so good, no problems with it. I know the front bracket has a pretty large moment arm on the weld, but it's made out of 3/16" steel angle iron and has a pretty large weld running on it.

There's a sheet metal part that covers up the underside of the seal and has the brake light and turn signals mounted to it.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #40
Player B OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocce View Post
Very very nice, thats the way to go.
May i ask were you got these mufflers, and du they fit between the footpeg and break lever or did you modify them ?

Regards Joakim

They are made by Cone Engineering. Lots of places buy them, rebrand them, and sell them for slightly more. I bought mine from Lossa Engineering and I know Dime City Cycles also carries them. Not sure, but you may be able to save a couple bucks and get them directly from Cone.

They fit through the break lever without any modification. It is very close though.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #41
Player B OP
Adventurer

Been a busy christmas season for me. Got a lot of work done on cleaning up the bike. Short summary includes: detabbing the frame, painting the frame, painting the wheels, degreasing the engine, fresh paint on the engine, replaced a couple of gaskets, cleaned up the wiring loom, painted forks and rear springs, and a couple other tweaks to some small stuff that was bugging me.

now on to the good part... pictures!

Not much left to do from my perspective. Going to eventually fabricate a pair of rearsets. I really like the boxer metal ones, but my 6'3" frame needs them a little lower than where those are located.

Eventually I will probably get fresh paint on the tank, seat cowl, and front fender. But for now, I like the look.

One little concern with my oil pressure switch (pretty sure the PO put on something that isn't stock), but I plan on starting another thread about that. Been running strong for 3k miles with zero debri in the oil pan or under the valve covers, so I'm assume the oil is pumping as it should.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #42
SERE Nate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
2 questions...

#1, do you have any videos of the bike running? I'd love to hear those mufflers.

#2, could you ride with a passenger with that seat? I'm trying to find a cool looking double up seat with no luck......
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #43
motnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Love it. Great work with the seat. I have been contemplating getting one for mine but I think i'd prefer a longer more 'brat' look. Second the comment re the video!
motnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
Player B OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
2 questions...

#1, do you have any videos of the bike running? I'd love to hear those mufflers.

#2, could you ride with a passenger with that seat? I'm trying to find a cool looking double up seat with no luck......
1, No good video's right now, but I'll look try and get one up. Hell, I don't even know what they sound like from anywhere but directly on top of the bike. They're not quiet at high rpms, but they're not obnoxiously loud either. I don't want for any ear protection while riding at least.

2, That's a no on the passenger. At least for me. Maybe, just maybe, if I slid as far forward, and said passenger was teeny-tiny. But at 6'3" my butt is most of the way back on the seat.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #45
Player B OP
Adventurer

took a quick video to show off the exhaust sound a couple weeks ago. Totally forgot to share it...