Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK View Post
I was thinking it was tin, but I'm not positive about that.

Great pics, and history, another part of the world I'd really like to see. Amazing how they lived and mined back then, a lot of mining innovation came from Cornwall. Thanks for posting your ride.
I was prompted to look up the history of Cornish mining today because of this great RR. The Cornishmen mined tin, lead, arsenic (those guys didn't live long), some precious metals, and now are mining for clay used in making ceramics. It's inspiring and sad at the same time, as the pits in England are becoming a footnote. The history of mining in Cornwall is almost as old as the history of Britain. The developments in mine technology fueled much of Britian's supremacy throughout the industrial age.

I was in upper Minnesota some years ago. One could buy a pasty almost anywhere there. When the mines played out in the UK, the hard-rock Cornishmen moved on to the Iron Range or just about anywhere their skills were needed. They were a brave and hardy breed of men. Now that the iron mines in Minnesota are finished, I suppose we should all buy IPhones and forget the struggle our ancestors endured.

I hope not to.

Thanks again.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #32
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I was prompted to look up the history of Cornish mining today because of this great RR. The Cornishmen mined tin, lead, arsenic (those guys didn't live long), some precious metals, and now are mining for clay used in making ceramics. It's inspiring and sad at the same time, as the pits in England are becoming a footnote. The history of mining in Cornwall is almost as old as the history of Britain. The developments in mine technology fueled much of Britian's supremacy throughout the industrial age.

I was in upper Minnesota some years ago. One could buy a pasty almost anywhere there. When the mines played out in the UK, the hard-rock Cornishmen moved on to the Iron Range or just about anywhere their skills were needed. They were a brave and hardy breed of men. Now that the iron mines in Minnesota are finished, I suppose we should all buy IPhones and forget the struggle our ancestors endured.

I hope not to.

Thanks again.
Some Cornishmen must have ended up in Butte MT
Used to be able to buy pasty's at the grocery stores there back in the 80's when we were doing road construction, "letters from home" some of the old timers called them.

RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #33
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
When the mining industry in Cornwall collapsed the miners went all over the world and took their knowledge with them.

It's always said if there's a hole in the ground a Cornishman's been in it

www.small-adventures.co.uk
#philsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #34
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

Quote:
I suppose we should all buy IPhones
Amazingly enough buying Iphones/Ipods/LCD TV's etc helps mining.

South Crofty mine was the last working Tin mine in Cornwall (and Europe) and closed in 1998. Having been bought with the intent to reopen following the vast rise in tin prices, an inspection found commercial levels of 'Indium Ore' which is an essential component of LCD's and touch screens.

This is mined all over the world but the necessity for this ore may well kick start the mining industry in Cornwall again.

Every time you use your touch screen phone or watch your flat screen TV be happy that you are keeping the mines alive and where there is a mine, there will have been a Cornishman.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #35
janner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
In the late 19th Century, its estimated some 250,000 Cornishmen emigrated, a lot found their way to the northern states.
My great grandfather was one of them, stayed 19 years but then returned Cornwall.
janner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #36
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

So after a blast back to St.Ives a quick look around was in order

Always loved these places, waking up every morning with that view must be amazing

The harbour

Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #37
Limey 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thanks so much for sharing your journey to the end of the world! My reflections of the west country was indeed snarled traffic during the summer season. We were at St Ives, Helston and Porthleven visiting for a short time...but that was many many years ago...Beautiful scenery....
Limey 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

Around the back of the harbour looking out at the lighthouse

Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #39
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

The next morning I take a ride into St Ives to say my goodbyes to my hometown.

A quick look at the coastguard lookout

A view of the coastguard hut from the chapel looking out at St.Ives bay with Godrevy lighthouse in the distance

The Chapel

#philsmith screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 07:52 AM
Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #40
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

Porthmeor beach with the Chapel in the distance.

This image epitomises my childhood for me and my summer holidays. Clear skies, sun sea and beaches. Whenever I jump on the bike without a definitive destination it's always this image I have in my mind of where I want to end up.

One last look at the harbour where my working days were spent before the lights of London called

Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #41
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,484
What are you using for a camera? I'd say your pics are corrected for color balance and sharped. Is it software and a good eye or natural skill and one hell of a camera?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #42
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

Quote:
What are you using for a camera? I'd say your pics are corrected for color balance and sharped. Is it software and a good eye or natural skill and one hell of a camera?
Correct, colour balance and sharped because I hate smaller images where you lose detail when uploaded to internet but the light in Cornwall, St.Ives especially is fantastic (why it became a world famous art colony) so not much else.

I usually use an old Canon 400D with the standard 18-55mm lense but all the pics above this post on this page, apart from the long one of the beach, were taken on my iphone 4 so while I would love to say its skill, I'd say it was a bit of luck really and some good light.

Glad you enjoyed the pics

#philsmith screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 07:51 AM
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #43
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

So with the overcast skies arriving again and the forecast of torrential rain the next day, it appeared the universe had decided I was going back to London

A quick look at a few last sights to keep me going before a leisurely blast back to the capital.

Knill's monument, built as a mausoleum in 1782, is a 50ft high granite pyramid built by an eccentric mayor John Knill. It was never used for it's intended purpose as John Knill died while in London and was buried in Holborn. It stands 100 ft above sea level at the top of Worvas Hill, just above the woods we used to run cross country through while at school.

It was interesting to realise at that point something I had never given a second thought. This monument I had run past once a week, sat on for a break while out mountain biking through the summer and used as a navigation point while bringing the boat back into the bay had not only been much more important in my life than I ever thought but had been made over 300 years ago so a man could be remembered. I wondered if he ever thought it would be such a big part of the community?

I would never forget Knill's Monument as it is ingrained into my childhood and then my later years one way or the other so I guess you can say he succeeded in being remembered.

In John Knill's Will provisions were left for a ceremony to take place every 5 years which still occurs today. You can find more info here http://www.btinternet.com/~ptaffs/knillmon/knill.html or by google searching John Knill or Knill's monument.

#philsmith screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 06:18 AM
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #44
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 700
Amazing...

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #45