User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
darkstar OP
think more; use less.

Oddometer: 126
Question DL650 alternator

What is the power output of the wee-strom alternator? I've read a lot of comments about its relative weakness especially when considering electric accessories? I've added heated grips to my DL650 (boy are they nice), is that all the juice I have to work with? Forgive my ignorance (to be honest I don't even know where the alternator is on the bike), but it seems to me that upgrading the alternator shouldn't be a big deal. In the 4x4 world its done all the time. Are high power aftermarket alternators really rare in the motorcycle world? I've even read that it was a deal breaker for someone considering purchasing a DL650.

Thanks,
Darkstar
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar
What is the power output of the wee-strom alternator? I've read a lot of comments about its relative weakness especially when considering electric accessories? I've added heated grips to my DL650 (boy are they nice), is that all the juice I have to work with? Forgive my ignorance (to be honest I don't even know where the alternator is on the bike), but it seems to me that upgrading the alternator shouldn't be a big deal. In the 4x4 world its done all the time. Are high power aftermarket alternators really rare in the motorcycle world? I've even read that it was a deal breaker for someone considering purchasing a DL650.

Thanks,
Darkstar
400 watts is the total output. It isn't easily upgradeable like a car because the "alternator" actually consists of seperate components in different locations on the bike.

Regardless, the Strom has enough spare current to run heated grips and a heated jacket, but not much more. However, having said that, I was running two heated jackets on my strom yesterday without issue, but both jackets were turned up only about 1/2 way.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
darkstar OP
think more; use less.

Oddometer: 126
Thumb that was fast!

Thanks for the 411. Good to know that I still have a few extra watts to work with.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
FYI, the DL650 and the DL1000 have "stators" rather than alternators.

Their is some info circulating that claims that the DL's have about an extra 75 watts of capacity over the basic requirements to run the engine, lights, and displays. This information is posted on the Powerlet Products site... I have no idea if this information is accurate.

However, some users have the ability to measure their charge voltage while running. And one such user on the Vstrom forum claimed that using heated grips and heated jacket combined to drop their charge voltage below 11 volts. If the charge voltage drops that low, then the system doesn't have enough capacity for the load.

I think it is clear that the DL's charging systems have marginal capacity. Interestingly enough, the use of a headlight modulator can improve the situation. By reducing the duty cycle of the voltage applied to the headlight circuit, a headlight modulator can save capacity. Some users save power by using only one headlight.

Cap
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap
FYI, the DL650 and the DL1000 have "stators" rather than alternators.
Isn't a stator a part of every alternator? Its the stationary set of windings (there are three of them - ie:3 phase) attached to the housing and the rotor is either a set of windings or a magnet that rotates.

I think they're called "alternators" because they produce "alternating" current and voltage.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,707
Bump to an old thread, cause I have the same question.

Does anybody know of alternator upgrades?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
If you got clever with the voltage regulator unit you MIGHT coax a bit more out.

Most bikes (including the DL's) use a really old design with a three phase diode rectifier and SCR's that short the output when the voltage gets too high. That dumps a lot of heat into the VR assembly and isn't particularly efficient

Of course - it wastes least energy at full load :), but a syncronous rectifier/ regulator using MOSFET's instead of cheap diodes and SCR's should get you another 5-10% - it may even gain you more. ( The power loss due to the voltage drop across the diodes goes from ~1V to near 0).

That may not sound like much - but if 75W spare is correct, 10% overall is another 40W and 50% more power you get to decide what to do with,

Component costs are higher, but frankly what we are charged for the current regulators is obscene - the components are dirt cheap.

Unfortunately for the rest of you, I live in a part of the world where heated grips and heated clothing is the least of my problems.

Try www.edn.com as a starting point. Note that most of these designs are intended for >100kHz operation, but the idea does work at much lower frequencies as well. Normally cutting losses by doing this just isn't worth the effort - it may be on a bike.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #8
BlueStreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Bump to an old thread, cause I have the same question.

Does anybody know of alternator upgrades?

Thanks!
These folks are supposed to be working on an upgraded replacement stator.
https://www.electrosport.com/
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #9
Texspeleo
Opportunivore

Oddometer: 257
This is an untested theory, but it stands to reason that if you installed an HID headlight kit, you could lower the draw, improve the quality of the light output, and have greater reliability than that of incandescent bulbs. The extra 40W (HID replacement kits generally claim 35W X 2 bulbs vs. 55W X 2 OEM bulbs) could make a pretty big difference for heated clothing, coffee warmer, toaster, microwave, whatever. An HID conversion is on my 'someday' list.
Texspeleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
Texspeleo
Opportunivore

And damn, were the grip heaters nice this morning (snowing in Colorado Springs right now).
Old 09-23-2006, 04:43 AM   #11
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texspeleo
This is an untested theory, but it stands to reason that if you installed an HID headlight kit, you could lower the draw, improve the quality of the light output, and have greater reliability than that of incandescent bulbs. The extra 40W (HID replacement kits generally claim 35W X 2 bulbs vs. 55W X 2 OEM bulbs) could make a pretty big difference for heated clothing, coffee warmer, toaster, microwave, whatever. An HID conversion is on my 'someday' list.
It'll work but .... the problem is that the regulator unit has to disipate anything that doesn't get dumped into the fuel pump, ECU, ignition and lights. So if you install HID's and save 60W of lighting - when you turn the heated jackets off, that little sucker is going to get warmer. The DL isn't bad, at least it's VR is sitting in the breeze. (Unlike the old BMW F650's - after I my first regulator blew the replacement had a 12V PC CPU fan stuck on top of it until I sold it.).
"What's that noise ?" -
"That's the turbocharger winding up"...

Same problem wit a better stator, you may start frying regulators.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #12
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar

Thanks,
Darkstar
Actually, the Strom isn't as bad as most bikes. Another way to get some more available power is to switch to LED tail/brake lights.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #13
Texspeleo
Opportunivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Actually, the Strom isn't as bad as most bikes. Another way to get some more available power is to switch to LED tail/brake lights.
Know of any good one for the strom? I like Dual Stars for the KLR, but the 1157 LED replacement bulbs seem pretty lame.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #14
BuellDualSport
Banned

Oddometer: 891
DL Power Availibility

Hyper Lite has a V specific set of Rear LED that are supposed to be plug and play.

The 07 Wee has about 110 w of extra power available.

A set of Fog Motolights with 35 W bulbs, leaves about 40 w available. This should run a jacket or grips, but not other lights, without depleting the battery.

The "other" site suggests a Volt Meter as part of the Farkles for a V.

YRMV

Ride Em

BuellDualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #15
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatRacing
The 07 Wee has about 110 w of extra power available.
Really?