Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post
Hey Mr. Cob, can you show details on how you secured the boys with the toneau folded that way, i wanna take my girls for a ride, but need to do more security in case of a skwirl!
Howdy planzman,

I use a bunji cord running from the rear of the nose mounted rack at the front of the opening at the front of the passenger compartment behind the toneau cover that hooks onto the trunk operating lever; I then roll the toueau cover so that it provides a secure closure to the door opening of the passenger compartment, hold the rolled toneau cover in place with another bunji cord with a special shaped hook on the end of it.

I then secure the Boys via an adjustable leash hooked to their vests and to the front of the luggage rack that is mounted on top of the spare tire and trunk. I leave the leash long enough so that they can get into the covered area in the nose of the sidecar in case of cold, wind or rain, if its really cold or raining I'll simply snap the toueau cover in place over the sidecar this protects them from the elements whilst still allowing them to peak out from underneath it when they want to as shown in this photo.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

The day after all the wrenching a group of 8 Uralistas gathered at Craig's home before setting off on an all day ride that would take us on some very fun and interesting roads. I am sorry I can't remember all the places we rode to and I ask that those who were on this ride and who are following this ride report to add photos and or commentary that will better explain the photos I'll be posting. THANKS.

One of the first folks to show up at Craig's home was Mark, here he is presenting to me the gift of saddle bags that he made by hand, custom tailored to fit a Ural. Mark makes these saddle bags and passenger door coverings for sale to other Uralista's I highly recommend his work and products. Thanks Mark, I really appreciate your gift and will put it to good use.

When I say that I parked my truck-toyhauler in Craig's front yard I am NOT kidding, that's Craig's home behind the truck-toyhauler with the full group of Ural's participating in todays ride in front of my truck. Lets see if I can remember everyones, from left to right; Mark's Gear-Up, Craig's Retro, my Gear-up, Kaven's Patrol, Charlie's Patrol with Jason's Gear-up on the far right end.

From Craig's home we rode over and UP to Randy's home, he lives at over 6,000 feet in places there was some snow on the ground. This is Randy's home.

Here we have stopped at some over-look that Randy lead us to.

Another series of over-looks on the roads we traveled.

After many miles of really FUN twisty roads we ended up at this restaurant, from what I was told it is a favorite biker hang out on the weekends.

We had a great lunch.

Jason, his wife and their Gear-Up.

Charlie and his Patrol.

Kaven and his Patrol.

Randy and his Gear-Up.

Mark his wife and their Gear-Up.

Craig his wife and HER Retro.

The Boys and mines Gear-Up.

After lunch the group broke up and headed in many directions back to their own homes, Craig-Jennie and I followed Randy back to his home area and another restaurant where we shared a nice dinner.

After dinner we said our goodbyes to Randy and headed back to Craig's home in the dark, it was COLD, I am sure glad I had hippo-hands, heated grips and my Gerbing heated jacket liner for the ride back, YES I covered and tucked the Boys up in a polar fleece blanket for the ride back, didn't want the little buggers to catch a cold. And so another day came to a close, I had a LOT of FUN, met some great folks, it was wonderful. Stay tuned for more riding and good times.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,916

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Herding Cats

Well as Mr. Cob. stated we had a great show of Urals converge in my sleepy little town with the goal of a great ride and a nice lunch. We headed out of town with the intention of getting fuel but due to issues with card readers etc we got just a bit scattered. Once we had fuel and a plan it was off to Wrightwood and the to tackle the "Crest" Hwy 2 home of Newcombs Ranch, yes it is a popular moto spot in S Cal. The weather and the group was great and fun was had by all even when the pace got turned up as far as a blazing 40 horsepower will allow. I will admit that I have a blast on the Retro that my wife calls her bike and it really is fun to work on carveing the corners because you can't just open the throttle on the straights and fly like the M2 Cyclone that shares its home with the Ural allows.

It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow, not to mention time spent with my crazy wife who loves all our Ural friends.

The group forming up as viewed by my wife with her camera, the old camper is mine

The Group pic before the ride

Some pics my wife shot from her seat in the chair

Dave on the prowl to get the pic

Another view of us, the door skirt on the Retro is some of Mark's work, it is several years old now.

The boys with their master, all three have invites to return as do the other crazies in this group who came to play

At Newcombs Ranch

A fellow Ural Rider who met us on his trike for lunch, gotta play with all the toys in the box right?

My better half and I

After lunch the group split up and a couple of us played a bit hard, I won't say who started it but I will say these pics show some body english to keep the rig on three wheels.

cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy Craig,

Thanks for adding photos and commentary to the ride report. I'll try to add another chapter this evening but I have to work up a experimental parts report for Ilya, with luck after this report on the new parts folks will be in for a very nice surprise come the 2013 model year and YES these parts will retrofit all of the older Ural's.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Craig,

Thanks for adding photos and commentary to the ride report. I'll try to add another chapter this evening but I have to work up a experimental parts report for Ilya, with luck after this report on the new parts folks will be in for a very nice surprise come the 2013 model year and YES these parts will retrofit all of the older Ural's.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 242
experimental part

C'mon, Dave, you can't leave it like that!
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
cubituscubitus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Geat ride report Dave !

Hi Dave,

I'm glad to read that you're having fun... I don't remember the boys' names.
By the way, since last summer there's a new family member in our home : a Munsterlander Spaniel. Her name is Pooch. She"s 10 months old.
Thierry aka Terry.
cubituscubitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #24
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Looks like good stuff.

Thanks all for posting.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubituscubitus View Post
Hi Dave,

I'm glad to read that you're having fun... I don't remember the boys' names.
By the way, since last summer there's a new family member in our home : a Munsterlander Spaniel. Her name is Pooch. She"s 10 months old.
Thierry aka Terry.
Howdy Thierry,

Its great to see you posting again, its been a LONG time since you have done so. Did you ever figure out how to get back onto Soviet Steeds?

Yes I had wonderful time on this latest trip, I have been kinda busy the last couple of days and neglected to post to this ride report, that will be corrected TODAY.

My 12 year old Dachshund is named "Spot", the 3 year old one is named "Newt", they go everywhere with me. When you get the time please post up a photo of your dog, hug your lovely wife for me and the next time you and Patric share one of your countries wonderful beers tip a pint for me.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #26
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

I'll now post up a ride that Craig and Jennie took me on, the air was brisk but the sun was shining as we ventured forth on roads I have never ridden before. Our first photo op was at a gate overlooking a dam.

The Boys were wondering why we were stopped, when its cold or raining they ride under the tub cover but when ever we stop they pop their heads out to see whats happening.

I have no idea what road we were on Craig will be able to provide those details but we kept gaining in elevation and soon found some snow on the side of the road to play in.

Jennie and her rig parked n the snow.

I let Craig try the Gear-Up and its two wheel drive, I think he liked it.

I told him to ride it out to the deeper snow so he could see how the two wheel drive worked.

The Boys are NOT accustomed to a stranger driving their rig.

Spot looks like he's checking for damage, Newt is on guard in case that interloper tries to get on their rig again.

For some reason, I always manage to park in strange ways.

Craig and Jennie are a bit more conventional in their parking technique.

We ride down the road and come to this neat over look.

We stop in a couple of different places to take in the view.

Craig then took me to a very curvy road, many off camber corners with decreasing radius, up and down roller coaster type hills, this was a road that could GET you if you weren't paying attention.

We stopped for a quick lunch then headed to some neat rock formations.

We rode under a rail road bridge, past a do not enter sign and onto a dry river bed with DEEP sand in it.

Craig with his one wheel drive Retro was doing OK.............until he stopped.

Yup, the Retro is stuck.

But with a little pushing its soon moving again, until he slowed down to make the U-turn to get back on the harder packed two rut road. Darn amateurs.

I advised Craig to run along side of the rig as it was digging its way through the sand and then to jump on when it had gotten straightened out and started to pick up speed, this is easier explained then it is done especially for someone who has never done it before

We got back to the main Hwy and rode up a very steep-long pass, stopped at the top to get a couple of photos next to this old building.

We rode past a VFW post on the way back to Craig's home.

The next day was spent doing some plumbing repairs to my toy hauler and taking Newt to the local veterinarian. I had noticed that Newt had a swelling under his chin, at first I though nothing of it as it caused him no pain and when I felt it it was soft and he didn't mind my touching it, I thought it may have been from a bug bite. However the lump got larger and harder, so I took him to the vet, the vet checked him out and said that it was a broken blood vessel that was draining underneath his skin.

So the little guy had to have a drain tube inserted into the blood pocket, how this happened I don't know, the only thing I can think of is that he may have struck the underside of his chin running up the steps to get into the toy hauler, every now and then when he running-jumping those steps he misses one. He had to have the tube in place for five days, it was taken out the evening before I left from Craig's home and headed north.

The next chapter will cover our visiting an old west town built to film many old western movies and TV shows, stay tuned.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Jealous

Great Ride report. Now I'm really jealous I couldn't stick around longer and join your group ride out of Victorville and Wrightwood. Had to get the wife home for an appointment. I knew I should of let her take the Motorhome home and rode the Ural back after the FUN was over.
'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #28
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Rider View Post
Great Ride report. Now I'm really jealous I couldn't stick around longer and join your group ride out of Victorville and Wrightwood. Had to get the wife home for an appointment. I knew I should of let her take the Motorhome home and rode the Ural back after the FUN was over.
We all have to make are own decisions, you know how to find me and I know others who like to play, just give us working stiff youngsters a heads up
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

A few details got left out

As Dave said the trailer needed some work and the important issue was getting Newt fixed up, I knew a few places to suggest and both got taken care of. What got left out was the fact that the arrival of Dave seems to disrupt our weather, we had some snow flurries and rain when he was in town and it had been WARM prior to his visit. We did use a few days to take care of "chores".

As was said I would know the roads, we took Main St out and around to Hwy 138 and climbed up and up. We past Silverwood Lake and once to the snow it looked like a good place to turn around but as my pics will show, Dave is a big kid. After the snow and overlooks we continued down 138 to Mormon Rocks, this is the section that will bite if you don't respect it. After getting stuck and looking at the rocks it was up towards Wrightwood until my hands got cold and I figured a photo at the old stone building would be a chance for me to change gloves, Urals allow you to carry lots of gear. On the way home we stopped at the VFW since I figured a tank would make good pics. Great day for a great ride with a great guy and his dogs.

Shows the road behind

Our faithful monkeys

I told you he is a BIG KID, he loves to play

Whats the worst, I get stuck?

He sure moved some snow

Newt Making sure no strangers take his rig

Yep another of the pretty rig and good scenery

Silverwood Lake

Mormon Rocks

Wrong Ural for dirt but you run what you brung

He Is A BIG KID

The Road That Will Bite

The VFW

Like Dave said next is an old movie town, stuck bikes, and even food pics, great fun, and YES I like two wheel grive and want to add to my Ural stable, I think others will the Retro is great in twisted pavement.

Your up Dave.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #30
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

Thanks Craig for providing your words and photos they make the ride report much more complete and ad to everyones enjoyment, please continue to add to this report as you see fit.

After getting Newt fixed up and the drinking fountain leak in the toy hauler fixed a group of us headed out to "Pioneer Town". The sun was shining but it was a bit on the cold side. I had come to the southwest to escape the gloom of the Nor-Wet and since being in this part of the country had been rained and snowed on, woke up to FROST on the windows and had a small electric heater running in the toy hauler to keep warm at night whilst sleeping, thanks for letting me plug in at your home Craig.

And then there was the wind, now I have done a lot of riding in windy areas but nothing like what was in store for us today especially the trip back to Craig's home after spending the day sight seeing. Again I'll have to depend on Craig to supply some details as to the roads we traveled, he had given me a map on which he had marked all the roads we traveled but sadly I have misplaced it, I know I still have it I just don't know where it is.

The Uralistas, Jason on his Gear-Up, Kaven on his Patrol met at Craig's home and we headed Pioneer Town. Remember I was talking about wind, on the way to Pioneer Town the wind was coming at us from about a 45 degree angle off our right front or directly from the right side, it was blowing so hard there were times I was in third gear just to maintain 50 mph, for a couple of miles I rode sitting on the left hand edge of the sidecar just to keep the sidecar on the ground, the wind coming directly from the right side would go under the sidecar and cause it to life, two little Wiener Dogs are NOT very good ballast.

I snapped this photo of a plaque that describes Pioneer Town and why it was built.

One of the highlights was the "OK Corral".

The Boys hanging ten, I mean come on folks we are in southern California.

We stop at the post office.

Some folks do actually live here, most of the yards where people live have neat yard art in them.

The old church.

The old Saloon has been boarded up.

The Boys do a bit of bull riding, remember the wind, take a look at the ears on the Boys, they look like airplanes ready to take off, the wind was blowing on their ears and turning them into airfoils.

This house is being lived in and is for sale.

The Boys try their hand at mining but they are much more interested in something else.

The general store is still open.

The Boys aren't much interested in being farmers.

We pay our respects at boot hill.

We stop in at the restaurant to grab some lunch, you can tell by the way the rigs are parked that other then myself the folks who comprise this group of rolling miscreants have NOT been involved in the shadier side of motorcycling in the past. When parking your bike-rig in front of an establishment that serves alcohol you NEVER pull into your parking place you BACK in that way you can get the HELL out of Dodge in a hurry should the need arise.

As can be seen here, Kaven's rig is totally blocked preventing a quick exit. Kids nowadays, what can I say.

Once we are seated, the Boys get their own chair and bowls.

Me and the Boys.

Jason tries his hand at controlling the wild Weiner's.

ALL of the carnage that follows is "Jason's" fault, he was leading when we left from Pioneer Town, he lead us down this old dirt road and this is what happened. The first victim was Jennies rig.

Next we have Kaven's rig buried in the soft sand and a washout.

Not to be out done I fail at strattleing a deep washout and eventually fall in.

Again Craig drives Jennies rig into a sink hole.

Yup, I do it again.

Trying to back out only made it worse.

Going forward just dug it in some more.

This WHY you ride with a bunch of young strong guys, with them pulling I drove the rig out. NOTICE how Jason has assumed the role of supervisor, that guy ain't dumb.

Out at last, that was a deep washout and some very soft sand.

Looking back from where the above photo was taken.

After playing in the dirt it was time for everyone to head back home, the ride back was AWFUL the head wind was unrelenting, I spent at least half the ride back in third gear. It started to get a bit chilly when the sun started to drop, sure glad I had heated grips and my Gerbing jacket liner, the Boys were tucked in their fleece blanket, life was kinda good. Stay tuned, there's more.

Oh before I forget, someone I can't remember who took some video of the idiocy in the sand, could they PLEASE post it to this ride report. And a special THANKS to Kaven for giving me some great photo taking tips.