Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 253
video

Hiya Dave,
Ask and ye shall receive... Sorry for the crap quality!

And one more.

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #32
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Howdy Jason,

Thanks for the videos.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #33
Kool and Slow
Ural Learner

Oddometer: 1
Still amazed

I am still amazed that I bought a ural with a side car. My wife did not trust a trike. I took the Ural home 30 miles to home going over the skyway bridge near st pete. I was really nervous and worried but made it home. I am reading the riding course to be more skillful riding. The bike is so well made and simple at the same time. Will post more as I go along
Kool and Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #34
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Food, wind, and dirt oh my

Well like was stated we had wind, at the start of the day we looked at the weather report and saw a high wind warning and had a chat, we decided to go for it since it wouldnt be that bad, the sun was shining after all, it was, miles of working the Urals hard in 3rd when we didn't have a tail wind. We rolled out of Hesperia and it was east bound into Lucerne Valley and on to Old Womens Spring Rd. After checking the map near Landers it was onward. For those not familier with the area, Pioneer Town is centered in "BFE" out near Landers and Yucca Valley, it does have a good eats place Pappi and Harriets, Dave enjoyed his Chile Burger, and the boys got treated like kings.

Post Office, it is still active.

Art?

Jdub enjoying

Saloon

Invading

Eating Place

Food Stuff, Mmmmm Good Stuff, We Enjoyed

Art at eats place

It was a Pretty Day other than the wind

The Town

My wife Does Get out of Her Sidecar at Times

More Town

My Wife and I

More Town

Off The Road, Kavens Rig

My Rig, sure would like to add a GearUp to My Herd

Mr Cob does it good

Like I Said Centered In "BFE"

My Wife Shooting From Sidecar While We Wandered The Dez, Thanks Jason We Had A Blast, Glad I Agreed To Explore

Hope you are enjoying the ride and pics, thanks for the video Jason.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #35
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Jason tries his hand at controlling the wild Weiner's.
Hey, everyone should try it once!
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #36
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475

great to see so many Urals in one place!
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #37
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

This will be my last installment on this ride report, thanks to ALL who have provide photos and commentary, please add more if you have it. This installment will cover rides taken on old Route 66, in California to snow covered back roads in Oregon as I was heading back home to the Nor-Wet, saddle up, lets ride.

The days ride started with riding to Marks home, from there we would ride UP into the mountains on what I think was called the Angels Crest Hwy. Here's Mark and his hacked Kawasaki, pretty darn neat machine.

The groups gathers in front of Marks home.

This gives you an idea of the terrain we were riding in.

This road like all mountain roads at times gave me the willies, I HATE cliffs and edges, in this photo you can see the dirt berm along side of the road, that's all that kept you from falling a LONG way if you missed a corner or had some other problem that would put off the road, in many places there was no berm, no guard rail, just the EDGE.

I was talking about edges and cliffs, we came across a bunch of people who were stopped on the side of the road, many were looking over the edge, there was no place to park so we continued on a couple of miles were we stopped at a large turn off. While at the turn off we saw a helicopter flying in a pattern that looked like it was searching for something.

From the large turnout we looked to the west, saw the ocean, Catalina Island and the city of LA.

As we were busy sight seeing and taking photos, we were told we would have to move so that the helicopter could land in the turn out. We were told that back where the people were looking over the side of the road that a car had went over the cliff and was smashed into the brush 600 feet below the road where it went over.

The helicopter landed and soon rescue vehicles of all types started to arrive, it was probably more of a recovery operation as I doubt anyone would have survived going that far down over the cliff edge. The road was being closed so we had to leave the area to allow the rescue-recovery folks to do their gruesome job. From what one of the rangers told me this is a common thing and happens at least one or two times month usually sport bike riders or fast car drivers who can't make the corner at the speed they are riding.

If you look real close about the center of the photo you can just make out the red fire truck, it and many other official vehicles are at the spot where the car went over the edge.

We move on down the road before its closed and we wouldn't be able to leave. We look down into a river bed and see what looks to be other vehicles in and around it.

Here the road ran along the top of the ridge, STEEP drop offs on BOTH sides of the road.

Mark and Rosie with their Gear-Up, Craig and Jennie with HER Retro, the Boys in my Gear-Up.

We stop at an over look where a bunch of sport bike riders are gathered.

We stop at a cafe for lunch, this is the ONLY place I have ever been told I couldn't bring the Boys in, after I told them they were in violation of the Americans with disabilities act, for refusing service they let me and the Boys in, PRICKS.

If this road wasn't closed, it would have been much shorter to ride back to Craig's home.

looking back down the mountain.

We stop for some ice-cream.

Mark and Rosie head for their home, Craig and I head back toward his home, on the way we ride a bit of the OLD Route 66.

When we arrive back at Craig's home, I load the rig in the back of the toy hauler, we go out to eat a last dinner together. The next morning Craig will be off to work, I will be heading NORTH and back home.

I spend that night camping in a wall-mart in Medford Oregon after having driven the truck and toy hauler over Siskuse (sp) Pass at night, in the DARK during a snow storm so heavy the windshield wipers had a hard time keeping the windshield clear. Oh yeah lots of fun tapping the trailer brakes to keep the toy hauler BEHIND the truck on the way down even thou I was going SLOW.

I awoke the next morning, grabbed some fast food breakfast and headed toward "Paindoc" Tom's home in Brandon Oregon, I would spend a couple of days with Tom scouting out the area as the FIRST Southern Oregon Ural Rally, S.O.U.R. will be held there this coming May, click this link to be taken to the thread concerning this rally.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...hp?f=3&t=19893

On the way to Tom's home I would drive through this,

A few miles later throw in a huge rock slide.

Then some more of this before reaching Tom's home where in the next few hours it would rain, sunshine, sleet, snow and then the sun come out again. Oh yeah, I am back in the Nor-Wet.

I got settled in at Tom's home, getting a 38 foot long toy hauler into a space that would easily accommodate a 20 foot trailer was FUN but it happened. The next day Tom lead me on some fun rides in the area, one road going down to the beach.

We rode past a large heard of Elk.

This is looking UP at where Tom's home is, his home is located on the top of the ridge above where the bike is parked.

Looking out of Tom's living room window down to where the above photo was taken from, the rig would have been parked in the center of the photo on the near side of the little road.

After spending a couple of days with Tom, I stopped into see Mylash, spent a few hours there and then drove back home.

I had a wonderful time, met a lot of new Uralista's, accompanied my old and new friends on some great rides on roads I had never before been on, it is a trip I will always treasure. Thanks to EVERYONE who had a part in this winter sojourn a special thanks to Craig and Jennie for allowing me to park the truck-trailer in their front yard for a week. I so enjoyed my time with ALL of you folks and look forward to doing it AGAIN. Anyone who has photos and commentary that would add to this ride report PLEASE post it up for us to enjoy. Thanks.

That will bring this ride report to an end, I'll end this ride report as I end all of them with a shameless plug, if my ride reports, photos and videos have positively influenced your decision to buy a Ural, please send me a PM or an email stating this. These PM's and emails when presented to IMWA encourage them to continue to provide the back door sponsorship that they have been giving me over the years. THANKS.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #38
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Great ride report, Dave! Can't wait to do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post

great to see so many Urals in one place!
Hey Matt, when you and Kris make it back from South America, get out to California. We'd love to ride with you guys!
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R

J-Dub screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 12:22 PM
Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #39
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
Great ride report, Dave! Can't wait to do it again!

Hey Matt, when you and Kris make it back from South America, get out to California. We'd love to ride with you guys!
we'd love to make that happen, though from South America we made be headed somewhere else before we come back to the US. either way, when we do get back it would be awesome to ride with such a big group of hacks like in this report.

how is your other hack, mr. cob? planning on any extensive trips with it?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
we'd love to make that happen, though from South America we made be headed somewhere else before we come back to the US. either way, when we do get back it would be awesome to ride with such a big group of hacks like in this report.

how is your other hack, mr. cob? planning on any extensive trips with it?
Howdy Matt,

I assume your talking about the hacked GS, I had that rig built to be my primary long distance, FAST paved road, machine. In between my Ural-a-ling trips I'll be knocking down some miles on it.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #41
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Matt,

I assume your talking about the hacked GS, I had that rig built to be my primary long distance, FAST paved road, machine. In between my Ural-a-ling trips I'll be knocking down some miles on it.
yeah, that's the one i was speaking of. i know that you keep yourself really busy with the Urals but i hope we'll get to see the GS rig in action some too...

thanks for the report - great as always.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
yeah, that's the one i was speaking of. i know that you keep yourself really busy with the Urals but i hope we'll get to see the GS rig in action some too...

thanks for the report - great as always.
Howdy Matt,

One of these days I'll take Gertrude out for a nice long ride and post up a report. Safe travels to you and your lovely wife, I am keeping an eye on your ride report sure looks like you folks are enjoying yourselves and building memories for later.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #43
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Nice Urals !!!!!!

Buenas motos, fotos y videos !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #44
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L View Post
Buenas motos, fotos y videos !!!!!!!!!!
ˇMuchas Gracias, Amigo!
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
Old 04-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #45
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Tie Up The Loose Ends

Well our visit was a great visit, lots of Urals, good roads, all the finer things in life. What Mr. Cob left out was a group lunch, he got hauled around in the Retro and got to ride it so he has had a taste of a "Real" Ural and when we met the JERKS who gave grief over the boys we never rode Angeles Crest, but had the closed road been open we would have rode it home. I am very glad he took the time to hang out and ride with us even after I told him my plans other than rides and fun just did not exist, I am also glad I was able to pull this off and provide a fun time for all. Now for the pics, hope all enjoyed and this needs to be done again, all the parties involved know how to find me so don't be strangers and if you have Ural questions just ask a owner, we are biased but who isn't

These Pics go with the last ride he did in S. Cal.

They were on a recovery mission

Big Brass Ones, Yep They Flew It In and OUT

We got told to leave since we had "their spot"

Dave is on foot and that guy on the two wheeler was even slower then us, talking to the ranger

Stuff in bloom and a blue sky

Lots of other bikes out enjoying the small twisted road

Yep we rode this road

My Monkey escaped from the sidecar, Mark and his wife, and Mr. Cob in the background

These got taken during his visit on different days, yes he rode the Retro and got a ride in the chair I have pics to prove it.

Ural being talked in my yard

This Ural has been all over, over 100,000km's on the clock

At one point we ran away with my wifes rig as Jenni refers to the Retro as "her bike" Mr. Cob samples the deluxe seating

I let him drive at one point, what was I thinking

Went to lunch and he found stuff to play on, such a kid. This is video, click it

The lunch group at the Summit Inn

In the cafe group and food

Our last meal together until the next visit, we had a great time

My wife stuck between us, sure glad she likes the Uralists we have found and count as friends

I again want to thank Charlie, Mark, Jason, Randy, Kaven, Jason, and Dave for the good times. A huge thanks to the wives who either joined or put up with the nonsense. This wraps up my part and again I am glad I was able to visit with all of you. The Urals ran great I learned a few things and really enjoyed our time together.

cpres screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 11:52 PM Reason: Needed it
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote