Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #226
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thanks for the quick response! I live in Seattle and ride in the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. Mainly forest service roads at slow to medium speeds and the temperatures will be between 45 and 85 degrees F. I'm recovering from a bad fall which resulted in a badly broken ankle last summer so I plan to do a gravel and pave road tour to Northeastern WA (Lake Roosevelt) via the Cascade HWY (Winthrop, Omak) as part of my "rehab" next month (mid June).

My DR650 is a 2004 with about 7000 miles. It's pretty cold blooded and usually runs cool (it's only gotten noticeably hot once on a slow steep rocky road while we were searching for a lost GoPro camera).
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #227
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiMhi View Post
Hi - Here is the response I got.

"I run the 15/50 in my BMW K1200, the Scrambler and the Honda. But I've noticed the 650 L Honda seems to do better with the 10/40. "

Both have a 50 viscosity index at 210 F so they flow the same at that temp. The difference is that the 20W50 provides the same 50 viscosity at low temps whereas the 15W50 provides the same flow at even lower temps - which is better!

Bern
This isn't correct. The 20W50 will not provide SAE 50 at low temps. It will provide SAE 50 viscosity at 212F and SAE 20 viscosity at lower winter or engine start temps.

Haven't quite drank the Royal Koolaid yet, but thanks for an interesting thread. I emailed to Royal Mfg and asked them to confirm what the actual API Group rating of their motorcycle oil is. Their brochure says it's "fortified" with PAO base, which could mean that a teaspoonful of PAO base is added per gallon. For all I know you have a great product, but AMSOIL sales guys have kind of poisoned the well for me when it comes to oil marketing claims.

Bob
Langanobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #228
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 631
Then your first pick was right on the money. I know how that goes, I got myself a $26K titanium hand implant a few years back. I immediately stopped trying to break the land/speed record for a dirtbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post
Thanks for the quick response! I live in Seattle and ride in the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. Mainly forest service roads at slow to medium speeds and the temperatures will be between 45 and 85 degrees F. I'm recovering from a bad fall which resulted in a badly broken ankle last summer so I plan to do a gravel and pave road tour to Northeastern WA (Lake Roosevelt) via the Cascade HWY (Winthrop, Omak) as part of my "rehab" next month (mid June).

My DR650 is a 2004 with about 7000 miles. It's pretty cold blooded and usually runs cool (it's only gotten noticeably hot once on a slow steep rocky road while we were searching for a lost GoPro camera).
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #229
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Hi Langanobob - I usually don't make a judgment call on something until I have actually tried it, to each its own.

Your explanation of the oil weights is spot on, sorry I don't recall the context of the discussion.

No manufactured is going to disclose their recipe. This oil is Class III full synthetic oil as 99% of all other full-synthetic oil. We cant sell a Class IV for what we do and unless you are racing you don't need it. If someone wants to continue buying the same stuff for 1/3 more at their bike shop they can have at it.

QUOTE=Langanobob;24221684]This isn't correct. The 20W50 will not provide SAE 50 at low temps. It will provide SAE 50 viscosity at 212F and SAE 20 viscosity at lower winter or engine start temps.

Haven't quite drank the Royal Koolaid yet, but thanks for an interesting thread. I emailed to Royal Mfg and asked them to confirm what the actual API Group rating of their motorcycle oil is. Their brochure says it's "fortified" with PAO base, which could mean that a teaspoonful of PAO base is added per gallon. For all I know you have a great product, but AMSOIL sales guys have kind of poisoned the well for me when it comes to oil marketing claims.

Bob[/QUOTE]
Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #230
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiMhi View Post
Hi Langanobob - I usually don't make a judgment call on something until I have actually tried it, to each its own.
Not making any judgment calls at all, just not accepting marketing claims at face value.
Quote:

Your explanation of the oil weights is spot on, sorry I don't recall the context of the discussion.

No manufactured is going to disclose their recipe. This oil is Class III full synthetic oil as 99% of all other full-synthetic oil. We cant sell a Class IV for what we do and unless you are racing you don't need it. If someone wants to continue buying the same stuff for 1/3 more at their bike shop they can have at it.
If your product is a Class III oil, it's not a PAO based oil
(Group IV). That was the point of my post, just trying to determine if your product really is a PAO base oil. It isn't.

Regardless of the base oil I'm sure your oil is a fine product and I don't have any agenda other than wading through marketing claims and trying to arrive at the facts.

Bob
Langanobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #231
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Thanks for the feedback, maybe try it now. We are getting into semantics here. This oil is 100% full synthetic and fortified with PAO base oils. It's less than any other comparable oil with the same additive packs and it's shipped to your door. Who else does that? Look I did not spend my time and $ to get something manufactured that is deficient in quality or value.

Here is my marketing "claim" on post 1;

"This became a project.... we ran our own oil tests and felt that in order to compete and beat the high $ import oil we need to change the formulation. Feedback from ADV riders also contributed to the final result. The new oil from Royal Mfg. include POA's and a stong additive pack with high rates of zinc, however not toxic levels for the CAT on your bike, We don't use fancy bottles, you have to pay for that + it does not make your bike run better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langanobob View Post
Not making any judgment calls at all, just not accepting marketing claims at face value.
If your product is a Class III oil, it's not a PAO based oil
(Group IV). That was the point of my post, just trying to determine if your product really is a PAO base oil. It isn't.

Regardless of the base oil I'm sure your oil is a fine product and I don't have any agenda other than wading through marketing claims and trying to arrive at the facts.

Bob

aiMhi screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 07:24 AM
Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #232
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Just ordered! I'm looking forward to using this oil since this will be the switch to synthetic.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #233
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Thank you NWBoon. We'll get your order placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post
Just ordered! I'm looking forward to using this oil since this will be the switch to synthetic.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #234
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Did the first oil change to Royal in a friends bike. BMW F650. It has noticeably smooth out the shifting from a clunk to a nice click. Thank you!
Bleemus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #235
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Bleemus - Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear that it's performing we'll for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Did the first oil change to Royal in a friends bike. BMW F650. It has noticeably smooth out the shifting from a clunk to a nice click. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #236
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Liquid gold now going in my bike . . .

Bleemus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #237
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote: