User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
What (dirt) bike for 7 year old?

Ok - I know NOTHING about available dirt bikes for kiddos. My soon to be 7 y.o. has been riding a 50cc Chinese polini replica around the cones in our church parking lot (and can drag a peg) and I'd like to get him something to tail along with me on camping trips and dirt rides.

Here's what I'm looking for: Something reasonably easy to ride and learn on with a little room to grow (at least a year, if not two). Enough capability to keep up with a big trailie moving slowly on a fire road - up to about 35 or 40 mph. He's kind of a tall kid for his age - right at 50 inches tall right now (I know this from a trip to the amusement park). And - I'd be looking for something used and my max budget is 600 - maybe 800 if I sweeten up the wife with some home repair projects first.

I want him to be able to putt up fire roads and go camping with me and the missus. He's a pretty cautious kid, so I don't envision him going screaming down the road full tilt. It took a while before he felt comfortable with his pocketbike.

Ideas?
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
My first motorcycle was a 1997 Yamaha RT100 when I was 9 years old. It had a 4 speed manual gearbox and despite being a 2 stroke the power band was pretty much tuned out of it entirely. Had dual coil over rear shocks which made it feel like a hard tail compared to modern suspension. I think this is Yamaha's modern equivalent http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...70/0/home.aspx .

Buying it new is way over your price range though. You'll just have to look into the used market for an $800 budget. I would try to stick with a more trail oriented bike rather than a motocross bike but either would do just fine.

Honda's has a nice 80cc trail bike:
http://powersports.honda.com/2012/crf80f.aspx

Suzuki's
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...2012/RM85.aspx

Going to local motorcycle dealerships can help. Even if they don't have a good choice on the floor they might be able to help you find the right bike locally. Once you find a good model name and manufacture it would make it easier to look around online too.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
yamaha pw50 or pw80
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Sent ya a PM

Sent Ya a pm.

Jailor8
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
yamaha pw50 or pw80
That probably is a better choice. After looking at the specs on the TT-R110 the 26.4in seat height might be an issue for a 50in tall kid. The PWs are a lot cheaper too.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Thanks guys, I'm researching them all now - I definitely like the PW50 and 80 so far. The automatic transmission is probably the right way to go for this bike, also. I think he'll be able to handle a clutch when he's 9, but I just want him to learn to handle the bike and keep his eyes up right now.

The TT110 might not be out of his range... I'll have to find one and sit him on it.

I'll post the obligatory proud dad shots when we get to that point.

Cheers!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,558
Plenty of china bikes in the 90-150 cc range with disc brakes , USD forks and flash graphics and price tags low enough to make tham disposable (which they are).

China bikes deserve the reputation they have as peices of junk but with a little bit of set up, lubrication and replacement of fastners made from cheese they will hang in long enough to be outgrown and turn into spare bikes for siblings, cousins, friends etc.

Major choices are
wheel size 14/12" or 17/14"
auto or manual clutch
seat hight but also check pointy down toes are not close to dragging when riding seated.

Thing will break sooner or later - break as in 20 foot table tops are too much for a $500.00 china bike rather that break down as in the electrics are not well enough protected to ride through a puddle that deep at speed - which is usually a sign that the kid is ready for the next bike or a step up into something more serious but at least you wont have spent thousands finding out your kid is not going to be the next big thing in supercross.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

To be honest, part of me has been considering the china bike route, but I think I'm going to steer clear for this one - all your points are right on - and the circumstances are different...

There was a lot of setup and farkling to get this polini streetbike knockoff running right - by the time we did, I've got probably 400 in it anyway. Would've been nice to have that work right out of the box.

I'm also hoping for enough speed that he can tail along with me and the missus on mild rides, so I don't want to have to fix it constantly. It would be good to be able to putt in for 5 or 10 miles and set up camp.

Finally, the big difference between the first bike being chinese, and why I don't think I will for this one is now he's got a little brother now who will eventually grow up and need a bike. So I'd rather get a good one that will last and be a decent hand me down.

The CRF80 or the PW80 look to be the right bikes for this go around. I'm going to have to go sit him on one.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
PW50 is the perfect first bike, but too small for him. I miss my daughter's PW50. Always started, never needed anything, easy to ride.
CRF50 is about to be outgrown by my average size 7 year old. It has also always started and run perfectly, even on gas a few months old. It would definitely be too small for a tall 7 year old.
RM85 is another breed of cat. Not a casual trail bike.

CRF80 might be the one.
RT100 was a '79ish DT100 minus lights. It also could be the one.
Classifieds, craigslist, ebay. You'll look at many abused and neglected little bikes before you find what you want.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
A PW 50 is tiny, way too small for your 7 year old. Look into a Yamaha TTR50 or the Honda CRF50. My son is 7 and rides a TTR50 and a KTM50, the KTM is a high strung race machine and a maintenance nightmare. The TTR is alot of fun and never needs any work.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Maybe we should talk about picking the wheat from the chaff here also. Most of these little bikes are neglected to death. One minibike might be well worth $600 and the next one same make/model/year not even worth consideration for free.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
you should look in to pitbikes.
as the models out there are thumps, stomp , lucky mx , but not sure thats for sale in the US.
thumps i think run a 110cc. or other ones that go from 50cc to 160cc must run ever 10-10, 12-12, 14-12 wheels.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Talking Consider this...

My 6 year old rides a PW50, his next bike will be a DRZ70.

The great thing about these is that they have a foot operated rear brake (the PW50 is hand operated) to get him used to using his right foot to engage his rear brake. God knows it took him long enough to use his brakes at all on the PW50!

Cheers
Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,323
you might look for an older model xr-70. Auto clutch with medium seat height. The 80 might be too big and the 50 too small. My 8yr old rides a ttr-50 but he has about outgrown the seat height. Sounds like your kid is a little bit tall for his age.
5punksdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
I wouldn't worry much about him outgrowing the bike, get what fits him and when he does outgrow it, most of them are an easy sell in order to upgrade.
Unless you get a chinee bike, if they make it to resell time in one pc. nobody wants one.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote