User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #391
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 679
Don't skip it

You are making a huge mistake to skip Mexico and Central America!! We were over 10 weeks in Mexico and just scratched the surface. We only left because we have to eventually cross the Darrien. Guatemala' s riding /sights/people are amazing. El Salvador is tiny but awesone. Nicaragua and Ometepe are must see spots. We are currently in Costa Rica. We had originally planned a quick exit from Guatemala and thankfully we listened to GuateRider.

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #392
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,589
The only thing Central America and South America have in common is the language, and even that is a Barely.

Spending all your time in one country is like parking yourself in front of one entre at the smorgasboord. Go ahead and fill up on the tacos, but then you won't have any room for the ceviche or the parilla.

The cost of shipping from Panama to Colombia is the same as shipping from the US to Colombia.

If you want to spend a year riding Mexico, I really don't care. If you want to skip Central America, I really don't care. I mean, I don't begrudge you your version of adventure.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #393
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Plenty to see in Mexico and Central America, and no one's ever had time to see and do it all yet. You could easily spend years exploring, maybe longer.

On the other hand, there's a reason why most riders prefer South America and start piling on the superlatives as soon as they get on the road in Colombia. You'll see.

Mark
markharf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #394
Yappei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
To each his own

Not a big deal to pass up anything - depends on your objectives, time available, whatever. However, after having ridden a large part of Latin America, Asia, and Europe the border crossings are part of the experience. Sometimes easy, sometimes frustrating - for example the border crossing between Costa Rica and Nicaragua or Argentina and Chile near Mendoza - depending on the day, time, and immigration officer the experience can vary dramatically. It's an attitude. As we say here in Costa Rica - Pura Vida.

This being said - I live in Costa Rica and I have had the opportunity to ride most roads in the country and I have to say the experience is incredible. There are places totally unbelievable and I would not pass for anything in any other country. Mountain passes, coastal roads, northern plains, small villages, extreme high end resorts, tent camping, off asphalt, on asphalt, the unexpected, all of it is here and I would have hated to miss it as part of my overall Latin American experience.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Graphite, Jessie Luggage.
Yappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #395
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Many Have Thoughts & Opinions

While I cannot give an opinion on shipping to Colombia I CAN speak a little to CA. I've just returned from a seven week adventure of Mexico & CA and did make it as far south as Yavisa, PAN. The border crossings were some quick and some slow, some easy and some hard. Some frustrating and some happy as a lark. I had to learn that they are just part of the adventure. One trip certainly does not an expert make but I am REALLY glad I did it and I WILL return. Time and desire need to be the riders choices.

Just one riders opinion,

ADV Fool
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #396
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Plenty to see in Mexico and Central America, and no one's ever had time to see and do it all yet. You could easily spend years exploring, maybe longer.

Mark
My guess is Sjoerd Bakker is about the closest rider to seeing all of Mexico and Central america and its taken him 27 years of exploring!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #397
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
The only thing Central America and South America have in common is the language, and even that is a Barely.
Not quite true.
Most people in Central America speak Spanish?
Most people in South America speak Portuguese?

It is more than barely. Or should it be less than barely?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #398
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Not quite true.
Most people in Central America speak Spanish?
Most people in South America speak Portuguese?

It is more than barely. Or should it be less than barely?
It's the accents and use of words that makes the Spanish completely different.

The Mexico spanish is completely fucking different from the Chile spanish. When I got to Chile I couldn't understand anybody. In Argentina it was a little better, but the people on the farms in remote places speak a spanish that I can't understand. My uncles's wife is from Argentina and she lives in Panama and often when she's talking all I can do is say to my uncle, Your wife is very beautiful but I have no fucking idea what she's saying.

Also there are millions and millions of Indians that don't speak Spanish at all, especially in Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Peru. It's not unusual for the Kuna, Embera, and Wounan of Panama to not speak Spanish. I can't speak to Bolivia or Brazil because I've never been there.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #399
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
It's the accents and use of words that makes the Spanish completely different.

The Mexico spanish is completely fucking different from the Chile spanish. When I got to Chile I couldn't understand anybody. In Argentina it was a little better, but the people on the farms in remote places speak a spanish that I can't understand. My uncles's wife is from Argentina and she lives in Panama and often when she's talking all I can do is say to my uncle, Your wife is very beautiful but I have no fucking idea what she's saying.

Also there are millions and millions of Indians that don't speak Spanish at all, especially in Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Peru. It's not unusual for the Kuna, Embera, and Wounan of Panama to not speak Spanish. I can't speak to Bolivia or Brazil because I've never been there.
And then there is my Ecuadorian cousin's French husband who I have never ever understand a single thing he says in Spanish. What an accent...!

'06 F650GS Dakar
ElReyDelSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #400
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Independence vs Stahlratte?

I am trying to figure out what to do in the following weeks as I have to be back in Germany for my sisters wedding in the beginning of july.
First of all, there is the time question: I am in Antigua/Guatemala heading to El Salvador tomorrow. What is a realistic time that I need for all the different countries between here and Panama? Would the 14th of june be a good date? (steelrat) or rather the 6th or the 20th oj june(independence)? considering that I have to find a place to store the bike in Columbia (for maybe 2 or 3 months)
The other option is to store it in Panama, but as far as I know, I would not have that many days to store it there?
Any arguments for or against the different boats?

Thanks for any help!
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #401
Catours
Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer: 153
Hi norschweger

This time last year I rode from Antigua to Portavela Panama.
I returned to Antigua.
I wanted to go to Colombia. ''still do, just no ferry, for me it would of been a fantastic way to cross, for cost and convenience, I have a Gold Wing Trike, a bit more difficult to just throw it on a sailboat.
Anyway I saw what I wanted in 6 weeks, remember there and back.
I have been to all these countries several times, so I never had to stop at all the great places, as I had done half of the destinations and stops previously.
So my simple conclusion is take five/six weeks to Panama, and then get to Colombia.. Have a good ride; nearly forgot, and then the Wedding!

Best
Dave Drudge.
OP's Guatemala

Chris
Marketing Guide, CATours
info@catours.co.uk
CATours Website
CATours Facebook
Our TripAdvisor page
Our Twitter page
Catours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #402
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by norschweger View Post
I am trying to figure out what to do in the following weeks as I have to be back in Germany for my sisters wedding in the beginning of july.
First of all, there is the time question: I am in Antigua/Guatemala heading to El Salvador tomorrow. What is a realistic time that I need for all the different countries between here and Panama? Would the 14th of june be a good date? (steelrat) or rather the 6th or the 20th oj june(independence)? considering that I have to find a place to store the bike in Columbia (for maybe 2 or 3 months)
The other option is to store it in Panama, but as far as I know, I would not have that many days to store it there?
Any arguments for or against the different boats?

Thanks for any help!
Panama is easier for longtime storage then Colombia .
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #403
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Panama is easier for longtime storage then Colombia .
Legally or not so legally

I do know Colombia is a better place to have a bike stored, closer to the really good stuff
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #404
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Legally or not so legally

I do know Colombia is a better place to have a bike stored, closer to the really good stuff

Legally !!
$100 a month in a bonded warehouse (Girag)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #405
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Legally !!
$100 a month in a bonded warehouse (Girag)
what would be the time limit then? Longer than if I find someone to store it privately?
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote