Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #391
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
It's the accents and use of words that makes the Spanish completely different.

The Mexico spanish is completely fucking different from the Chile spanish. When I got to Chile I couldn't understand anybody. In Argentina it was a little better, but the people on the farms in remote places speak a spanish that I can't understand. My uncles's wife is from Argentina and she lives in Panama and often when she's talking all I can do is say to my uncle, Your wife is very beautiful but I have no fucking idea what she's saying.

Also there are millions and millions of Indians that don't speak Spanish at all, especially in Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Peru. It's not unusual for the Kuna, Embera, and Wounan of Panama to not speak Spanish. I can't speak to Bolivia or Brazil because I've never been there.
And then there is my Ecuadorian cousin's French husband who I have never ever understand a single thing he says in Spanish. What an accent...!

'06 F650GS Dakar
ElReyDelSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #392
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Independence vs Stahlratte?

I am trying to figure out what to do in the following weeks as I have to be back in Germany for my sisters wedding in the beginning of july.
First of all, there is the time question: I am in Antigua/Guatemala heading to El Salvador tomorrow. What is a realistic time that I need for all the different countries between here and Panama? Would the 14th of june be a good date? (steelrat) or rather the 6th or the 20th oj june(independence)? considering that I have to find a place to store the bike in Columbia (for maybe 2 or 3 months)
The other option is to store it in Panama, but as far as I know, I would not have that many days to store it there?
Any arguments for or against the different boats?

Thanks for any help!
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #393
Catours
Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer: 153
Hi norschweger

This time last year I rode from Antigua to Portavela Panama.
I returned to Antigua.
I wanted to go to Colombia. ''still do, just no ferry, for me it would of been a fantastic way to cross, for cost and convenience, I have a Gold Wing Trike, a bit more difficult to just throw it on a sailboat.
Anyway I saw what I wanted in 6 weeks, remember there and back.
I have been to all these countries several times, so I never had to stop at all the great places, as I had done half of the destinations and stops previously.
So my simple conclusion is take five/six weeks to Panama, and then get to Colombia.. Have a good ride; nearly forgot, and then the Wedding!

Best
Dave Drudge.
OP's Guatemala

Chris
Marketing Guide, CATours
info@catours.co.uk
CATours Website
CATours Facebook
Our TripAdvisor page
Our Twitter page
Catours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #394
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by norschweger View Post
I am trying to figure out what to do in the following weeks as I have to be back in Germany for my sisters wedding in the beginning of july.
First of all, there is the time question: I am in Antigua/Guatemala heading to El Salvador tomorrow. What is a realistic time that I need for all the different countries between here and Panama? Would the 14th of june be a good date? (steelrat) or rather the 6th or the 20th oj june(independence)? considering that I have to find a place to store the bike in Columbia (for maybe 2 or 3 months)
The other option is to store it in Panama, but as far as I know, I would not have that many days to store it there?
Any arguments for or against the different boats?

Thanks for any help!
Panama is easier for longtime storage then Colombia .
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #395
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Panama is easier for longtime storage then Colombia .
Legally or not so legally

I do know Colombia is a better place to have a bike stored, closer to the really good stuff
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #396
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Legally or not so legally

I do know Colombia is a better place to have a bike stored, closer to the really good stuff

Legally !!
$100 a month in a bonded warehouse (Girag)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #397
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Legally !!
$100 a month in a bonded warehouse (Girag)
what would be the time limit then? Longer than if I find someone to store it privately?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #398
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,907
It still might be legally cheaper to store in no man's land between Colombia and Venezuela in a storage building, a legal way just paying for storage while your bike is not temporarily imported in either country. I know C5 on here who works in VZ and CO has done the multiple times and has a good lady who takes care of the storage for long periods of time without trouble. There is a thread here or on HUBB about it.

Bonded at $100 a month in Panama is a legal way that should allow you to store it there for nearly any length of time you are willing to pay for AFAIK

Illegal ways are cheaper but that's how it works, little risk involved

I've left mine in VZ and CO multiple times the shady ways without trouble yet.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #399
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norschweger View Post
what would be the time limit then? Longer than if I find someone to store it privately?
If you store privately your bike is still in Panama, if yopu store it in a bonded warehouse you have to return your TVIP and your bike is technically not in Panama anymore .
I don't know the limit or if there is even one , but yes you can definitely store it longer than privately .
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #400
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
If you store privately your bike is still in Panama, if yopu store it in a bonded warehouse you have to return your TVIP and your bike is technically not in Panama anymore .
I don't know the limit or if there is even one , but yes you can definitely store it longer than privately .
Free zone in Colon could do the same, but you'd need to "know" somebody probably. I checked my bike out of Panama by just telling the customs office at the free zone that I was putting it on a boat for Colombia. They cancelled out the temporary import, but then I just rode out the gate and down the road to go put it on a boat about 20 minutes away in a different town. They didn't actually physically verify that it REALLY left the country.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #401
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
I found the missing Nissos Rodos! Have a look: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...y.html?hpid=z1
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #402
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
I found the missing Nissos Rodos! Have a look: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...y.html?hpid=z1
Did anyone miss it? : )
Thank you all for the storage infos...seems like even Costa Rica could be an option now...
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #403
Yappei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Excellent investigative reporting

It's a small world. I "think" I "remember" leaving a Geocash in the upper deck, second door from the stern, port side - if so, its the same ferry.
Yappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #404
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
No investigating was necessary. I was merely trying to keep up to date on overland possibilities between Europe and East Africa (the usual route has been cut by the Syrian civil war), and happened to remember the name of the mythical Darien ferry.
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #405
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
San Blas Ferry now running

According to the website, the first San Blas ferry leaves tomorrow, October 15, 2013. They do weekly trips. It takes 24hrs.

http://sanblasferry.com/html/departure.html
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote