User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Bash plates

Shiny new bash-plates go on…but we have to hack one to accommodate the low exhaust. Speaking of which the loaner exhaust is louder than a Thai working girl. The neighbours 4km away complain to the police every time I start her so we take it down to the local exhaust shop where they re-pack it and fabricate a “noise-nut”. If you need exhaust mods done in Cape Town go and see the kind folk at “Bossal”..or is it “Bossun”?

BTO Sports is a winner

Cape Town exhaust mods...sorry james but it needs to be quieter...dont want to scare the lions away!
DesertSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mods continue

The low exhaust means carving up the shiny new bash-plate:

Snif-snif
Old 05-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Giant Loop Luggage

Finding a decent luggage solution for a small enduro bike is always a challenge. I have tried various solutions over the years but none comes close to the recent offering from Giant Loop.
www.giantloopmoto.com

I saw the product being discussed in these forums and when I saw a picture knew instantly that this is THE solution for hard-core adventure riding. No hard panniers to crack and break, low-center of gravity, quick removal, easy modular storage and as tough as nails. This very impressive luggage system however is designed for bigger bikes that have pillion footrests which hold the system down. Our 450’s are skinny and lack the second set of foot-pegs so mods are required. We enlist the help of that marvellous man Gavin yet again who comes up with a sheet-metal saddle idea for the stock bike while my rear safari tank provides a decent enough home without one. Marine stainless eyelets replace strategic sub-frame bolts to anchor the system down:

You go ahead and work while I take pictures

Safety beading takes care of those sharp edges

Test Fitting with the Rear Safari Tank

Gavin and his handy-work. Brother Bowen managed to find the sheepskin seat-cover in
an Australian adult-shop. He knew Brian would smile contentedly...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #19
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More mods

The final product looks like this and works very well:

Giant-Loop saddle bag with added safety from AGV helmets...

My exhaust is now stabilised with brackets

And a bling lithium battery goes in the second bike. Brian's knee is "bad" so kicking will be
problematic. I would like to assure readers that this has nothing to do with riding bikes.
It's a more a case of riding in the bedroom...allegedly...so have no pity on the man...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #20
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Rubber

New TKC's front and Rear. I ship a set of Michelin Desert rear tyres to Lilongwe in Malawi which is about half-way to Nairobi.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
fujian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Great! Thanks for this & the photo's.
fujian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujian View Post
Great! Thanks for this & the photo's.
Thanks for visiting the Ride Report!

The first attempt to start my bike after a new piston is fitted and the head rebuilt:

Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Scratch Leg One

By now it’s day 18 and we face the sad truth that leg one is to be scratched. It’s all just taken far too long and we have eaten away the riding time. We face the choice of either winging it up the main highway to Johannesburg where the second rider is not waiting (as I haven’t found anyone yet) or renting a trailer and starting the journey from there. I convince Brian to fly into Johannesburg thus avoiding the need to find a second-leg rider but at the same time it does put time pressure on things. The bikes go on a rented trailer that is actually bigger than my brother’s car and we head up to Johannesburg in the early hours on the 20th day.

The Honda Armada
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #24
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Honda Armada

We depart early bells at around 5.30am and head north towards Johannesburg. It’s slow going as the tiny pickup is towing some serious weight. The African sky never fails to deliver a spectacular sunrise

And it also never fails to deliver an accident...

Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On the road again

The Cape is beautiful and delivers magnificence in large doses.

The food is pretty good too - we stop to sample the world famous Karoo Curry in Laingsburg where the floods in 1981 literally buried the town.

Traditional Karoo Lamb Curry - astounds the taste-buds with its unique flavour
Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The sun burns the evening clouds crispy orange as we slowly chug the 1,000 miles away in our little Datsun cabin….

Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 21: Johannesburg

We eventually chug into Johannesburg several days later and set up shop at our Mom’s house. One thing I have not mentioned yet is the rain. One of the reasons for our delay has been the incessant rain which has mysteriously evaporated in Cape Town and reappeared in Johannesburg.

And so I have caught up with where I started:

“I am running around semi-blind in a downpour in Johannesburg trying to save the exposed innards of my trusty bike from the deluge above. Brian’s knee is the size of a football, his luggage is lost in Nairobbery, the Carnets were left in Cape Town and my right eye is bloodshot from getting a full blast of carb-cleaner squirted into it. And we are many days past our departure. But as always I am ahead of myself and must return to the start of the story”

All the work we have done in Cape Town has not cured a persistent problem that developed in my bike on the way down – its inability to idle. The moment you back off the throttle she dies. This makes off-road cornering tricky at best as she stalls when entering a corner so you cannot power out of it. I make an executive decision to strip the bike yet again and hunt down the demon that I believe is in the carburettor. In any case Brian’s luggage hasn’t arrived and is lost somewhere in Nairobbery so we have a day or two. Oh and I left the Carnets in Cape Town so we are still trying to find a way to get them up. The rain holds off just enough to ensure the bike is fully exposed and then pisses down with joyous vigour. This happens while I am spraying carb cleaner through the little fuel circuits including one that returns the powerful petrochemical in a perfect stream directly into my open eyeball. And then the main-jet snaps while trying to remove it…on the start of the Easter Weekend. Not that Honda South Africa would have a jet anyway – they don’t ever have anything. It’s all on order. And the fuel-mixture screw is missing it’s tiny little spring (probably the cause of the bike not idling). We scour the bike shops for bling after-market jetting kits to no avail. Eventually we take a chance and head on over to “The Bike Hospital” in Johannesburg City where the owner invites us to find the parts we are looking for in his “Parts Bins”:

Knock yourself out he said...but we close in an hour....

We find a Honda 450 R which has a very similar carb that we can pillage and land up having to buy the whole carb just for the Main Jet and a spring....

A very expensive idle-mixture screw spring
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #28
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And finally we are off!

By now we are all suffering a degree of psychoses… we just don’t believe we will actually ever leave. It is day 24 in the evening and it’s cold and wet. Brian's luggage finally arrived, my bike is running acceptably and there is a lull in the rain. Brian and I confer and decide there is nothing for it but to leave right now at night. A stupid idea indeed but a necessary departure to boost to our weak mojo’s. Brother Bowen wants to join but there are only two bikes. It’s all systems go. We identify a Bed and Breakfast 100km’s north in Pretoria, pack the bikes and set off at around 9pm. Finally – we are on our way!!!!

Shiny clean bikes...my mom asks me where i am going to sit...which is an interesting question
that I cannot answer...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Cracking Waynster, keep it coming.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The great road north

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Cracking Waynster, keep it coming.
Thanks Aussie!

The human spirit is all about surmounting obstacles and forging ahead. It’s late at night, cold and our headlights are a pale yellow glow on freshly wet tarmac. Cars whizz by us at stupid speeds on the main highway north. But my heart is singing...actually i am singing in my helmet. I am on a bike heading into the unknown and that is ultimately a wonderful thing.

The idiotic GPS puts us 1km north of our destination in a quiet well-ordered suburb. Between us and our destination lies a mountain. An hour later we arrive at precisely midnight and it is clear there are no signs of activity. The door-bell goes unanswered. I consider pitching my tent in the car-park but Brian is persistent with the doorbell and eventually it is answered by the sleepy owners who very kindly give us a key to an extraordinarily comfortable room that we collapse into.

you have to be kidding me...you said we were camping!

The Mont Paradiso Bed and Breakfast is run by the beautiful Annelienne and her parents and is a work of art. If you are travelling through Pretoria ignore 5 star hotels and head straight for this astounding place. Just watch for the near-vertical driveway entrance – it’s not for the faint-hearted.

Brian tucks into the sumptuous breakfast with little or "no fear"

And we are off again!