User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #31
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Irish pub in the bush

We are heading north for Ellisras to visit our dear friends Gert, Vera and their kids from “X River Racing” met on the last trip down and chain-saviours of that journey. We peel off the highway at Bela Bela and in the true tradition of Team Retox and The Sandy Helmets stop bright and early to sample the local liquid gold and thus christen the journey as is proper.

Happiness = Brian + Beer

brian in his element, bikes, beer and beer

After the trip is christened we head off onto our first dirt track where we hope to stay for the remainder of the day.
DesertSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #32
camwaugh
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Welcome, welcome

Glad to see you've got your journalistic arse back into gear Mr. Wayne... Look forward to the storey. Oh, and the Cambodia video eh
camwaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #33
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Splendour

People question why we are on lightweight Rally-Bikes which is certainly a valid question. On these well graded dirt roads through the beautiful northern Transvaal you can push them to the edge and smile deeply inside your helmet. These are thoroughbred bikes that respond to subtle pressures, that leap forth with a slight twist of the throttle. When all is well it’s a glorious merging of man and machine. Precision biking on quiet back-roads…magnificent…being on a bike like these in this terrain is breathtaking.

Happy as a pig in dirt

Nimble

I stop next to a tree to take a pee and almost drown a sleepy snake:

Considered very good luck in these parts mind you!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #34
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Maturation

Quote:
Originally Posted by camwaugh View Post
Glad to see you've got your journalistic arse back into gear Mr. Wayne... Look forward to the storey. Oh, and the Cambodia video eh
Why thank you good sir. All I can say at this time is that, like a good beer, time produces good things….stay tuned…watch what happens to Mr Blian over time...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #35
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 809
Keep us updated!

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #36
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
Awesome!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #37
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
Keep us updated!

Nic
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
Awesome!
Thanks for the support guys, well received…

This part of South Africa is all private game farms with well-maintained dirt roads that allow us to quickly work our way north to Ellisras. We need to do some light maintenance on Brian’s bike, a bigger front sprocket and new front brake-pads (seized retaining pin). Gert at X River Racing is the man to see and we are greeted with a big smile when we pull in. One of the great things about following old trails is the chance to meet friends made before and catch up on life for a little. The brake-pin finally yields and a larger front-sprocket will give the bike longer legs.

Brian explaining to Gert what a wheel is

Brute force is the only way...
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #38
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trouble on the road

A very pleasant evening spent with Gert and Vera and their energiser bunny children precedes a good night’s sleep. The next morning we are up early and pack for our first border crossing into nearby Botswana. We pass by the X River Racing workshop and wave goodbye and set out for the border. I am surging ahead in eager anticipation of the beautiful Kalahari bush I know waits just an hour away in Botswana. After 10 minutes or so I glance back and notice Brian is nowhere to be seen….my heart sinks and fearing the worst retrace my steps towards Ellisras. Brian assures me he was doing nothing un-bikely but that she just suddenly died…gently…mind you he has been complaining about a strange ticking sound for the last few hundred clicks yesterday…and I just went ahead and ignored him. We try everything but she is totally dead. A call to Gert and he is there in 15 minutes with a trailer….

What can it be… back to the workshop and we strip and start to diagnose...

Fuel - yes
Spark - yes
Compression - no...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #39
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Zero Compression

We strip her down and take off the head:

Naked again

And this is what we find, a stuck valve:

Dropped valve…

Most unusually I have no spare valves and so we get on the blower to try and get one couriered up from Johannesburg. Needless to say Honda South Africa want at least a week and a piggy bank full of notes for the offending bit of metal. Gert sources one from an aftermarket dealer back inJohannesburg and brother Bowen races off to beat closing time…but just misses them by minutes. Brian samples the local delights back at the workshop…everything goes quiet...

Brian samples "pap en vleis" and smiles despite his broken pony...brave lad hath no fear...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #40
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

4 wheels instead of two

There is nothing for it but for me to wake up at the crack of dawn and ride all the way back to Johannesburg to fetch a valve. Brother Bowen will be waiting at the dealer’s door when they open and then head north and meet me along the way. Gert decides to cheer us up by taking us out to play along the banks of the local “Mokolo” river on some quad bikes and watch the sun go down.

Brian makes it look easy

But I get stuck...I maintain it has something to do with body weight...bloody quads...
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #41
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

1000km's in one day

Gert and Vera pointing out yet another typo on the Ride report – pic by Brian

After another pleasant evening with our friends I set my alarm for 5am and set off into the bitterly cold and dangerous roads filled with wildlife and road-works. I push hard and make good time, meeting Bowen with the valve along the way and then zooming back to Ellisras and the workshop by lunchtime, triumphant with a new Kibblewhite valve. A local engineering shop puts the valve in and we start to re-assemble, getting her relatively ship-shape by sunset.

Shakes, Gert and your writer working quick-sharp to beat the sunset

Gert shows us how to torque down a cylinder head "Boere" style (farmer method)

We are going to push through to a different border that closes later despite everyone’s advice to leave in the morning as the roads are lethal with antelope and donkeys. We must make up time and if we can get ourselves into Botswana tonight we will be able to make the mighty Makgadigadi pans by tomorrow afternoon.

This chap came along to the farewell party. They don't do "small" in these parts...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #42
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ricky Stators failure

The going is tough as we are using head-torches (amazing Petzl units sponsored by Trak Pro) and once we cross the border the number of rogue donkeys are beyond insane. Our headlights died a few days back. By now we have figured that our brand new Ricky Stators are not charging the bikes’ batteries. It turns out that both regulators they supplied burned out almost immediately. My suspicions were aroused soon after our departure back in Johannesburg as my standard lead-acid battery quickly died on the first night while Brian’s amazing lithium unit kept going for several days. Big thumbs down for Ricky Stator.

Dodgy “Ricky Stator” rectifier/regulators
I have already ordered two new sets of stators and regulators from Trail Tech for the next trip.

Donkeys loom out of the darkness last-minute and Brian brake-swerves right around one fast asleep in the road. Madness. We finally make it to Palapye and Itumela camp site where Jo and I repaired his chain last year on the way down:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...isited&page=12

Itumela nudist camp

Early morning after minor fuel-leak repairs we are off to ride some of Africa’s best…

The soft-sandy Kalahari - pic by Brian

Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #43
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Pans video clip

We are making our sandy way north-west towards the mighty flat Sua Pan where we will sleep on the mysterious “Kubu Island”. The first part of the video clip is the approach to the pan which you can see in the far distance looking almost like the sea. The second part is riding on the pan as we approach Kubu island:

Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #44
Westy42
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Giving birth

Is that mr blian proving that if you push real hard you can shit out a Honda

This part of South Africa is all private game farms with well-maintained dirt roads that allow us to quickly work our way north to Ellisras. We need to do some light maintenance on Brian’s bike, a bigger front sprocket and new front brake-pads (seized retaining pin). Gert at X River Racing is the man to see and we are greeted with a big smile when we pull in. One of the great things about following old trails is the chance to meet friends made before and catch up on life for a little. The brake-pin finally yields and a larger front-sprocket will give the bike longer legs.

Brian explaining to Gert what a wheel is

Brute force is the only way...[/QUOTE]
Westy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #45
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy42 View Post
Is that mr blian proving that if you push real hard you can shit out a Honda
As hard as he pushed, he couldnt even get a bloody inlet valve out of there....