Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #46
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Kubu Island

Our route through The Pans, stopping at Kubu for a night

I have visited this place many times in my life and it never fails to reward. “Kubu” means hippo in the local language which describes the rocky outcrops on the raised “island”. Some 40 thousand years ago this was a true island as the area formed part of the largest inland body of water in Africa. While it allegedly has tremendous archaeological significance I can say it is a special place and well worth exploring…which we do for many hours in the dark by PETZL powered light. We argue long into the night as to which way are our tents and generally have a good time.

The “Solifuge” – these things zoom around at alarming speeds looking for bikers to eat

This cute little fellow wanted to share Brian’s tent but he refused, the silly fellow
DesertSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #47
Osadabwa
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 192
Thumb Ride on Up

Mr. Warren!

So glad to see you back on the ride! I doubt you'll be passing through Dar this time round, but if you do, please give us a shout in advance so we can drink up, I mean, meet up. And if you gut TZ and want some tracks, the lads have just had a blast in Dodoma area, and we have good ones all through the country. Don't hesitate to ask! But somehow, I reckon you'll just wing it.

I'll be watching!
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #48
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 560
Enjoying your RR. Thank you for the exciting read.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #49
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
Enjoying your RR. Thank you for the exciting read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osadabwa View Post
Mr. Warren!
So glad to see you back on the ride! I doubt you'll be passing through Dar this time round, but if you do, please give us a shout in advance so we can drink up, I mean, meet up. And if you gut TZ and want some tracks, the lads have just had a blast in Dodoma area, and we have good ones all through the country. Don't hesitate to ask! But somehow, I reckon you'll just wing it.
I'll be watching!

Thanks for the encouragement gents. Hey Osadabwa! Warren's not on this trip, just Brian and myself…he’s about to be a father back in Dubai!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #50
Osadabwa
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 192
Wink Warren, Wayne, Wyatt, William, Whatever!

Ha! Oops. I knew that... just checking to see if you're paying attention.

So, Dar on the list or not? If not, tracks around Mbeya, Njombe, Iringa, Morogoro, Dodoma, Kilimanjaro are all still on offer. Just let us know with some advance notice... that is if your bikes make it this far.

(I'd be bragging about my XR 400 about now, but it currently has no kickstand and a hole in the left side engine cover...)

Cheers
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #51
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kubu Island

I need to go back a day with some pics provided by Brian that will raise a chuckle no doubt….on our approach to Kubu I fell over in the soft sand. We met a chap camping there who told us it had once taken him 8 hours to get his BMW 1200GS from that last village to the pans (about 15 km’s)…we did it in about 30 minutes and some change…

The writer showing Brian the correct technique for picking up a dropped bike...

And that's how it is done Brian
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #52
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Proposed route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osadabwa View Post
Ha! Oops. I knew that... just checking to see if you're paying attention.

So, Dar on the list or not? If not, tracks around Mbeya, Njombe, Iringa, Morogoro, Dodoma, Kilimanjaro are all still on offer. Just let us know with some advance notice... that is if your bikes make it this far.

(I'd be bragging about my XR 400 about now, but it currently has no kickstand and a hole in the left side engine cover...)

Cheers
Haha no worries, figured….for the return we are heading up the western side of Tanzania, along the great lake…at least that’s the general idea….and then straight up into Uganda so sadly those drinks will have to stay on ice…but fear not we shall return!

Am wondering what the story is behind your left side engine-cover hole and missing side-stand...am sure that is not a coincidence...hehe
Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #53
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kubu to Kasane

Early morning Kubu campsite - pic by Brian

The sun beats down hard on my tent in the morning with a strong reminder of the alcoholic abuses of the night before.

Behold the rugged adventurer that is Brian...

We pack up and ride around the island before turning north again.

Sua Pan stretching away east to the horizon

Everyone thinks Brian is large but he's actually rather small

it's difficult not to just ride off into nothingness...pic by Brian

It is a long ride to the might Zambezi where we plan on lodging tonight. A new element has crept in to the trip which is that of time constraints. The word has come back that we have a firm booking to see the mountain gorilla’s in Uganda three weeks hence. If we miss our slot we miss a rare opportunity to see these magnificient creatures.

The track north between the pans from Kubu to Nata is spectacular. Wide open grassy woodlands alternating with Mopane forests. Soft sandy tracks keep you on your toes literally – this is not big-bike territory

Me be um big chief
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #54
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Cool2

Nice Bike/Ride
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #55
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kubu to Nata video clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy View Post
Nice Bike/Ride
Many thanks!

Just a short lazy clip of a section north of Kubu island…Brian drifting past…

Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #56
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,397
Looks like a total blast when the bikes are working.

Hope everything's set and ready but boy you guys lost out on a lot of days! Gonna be a race to the finish if you're not careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #57
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Elephants in the sand

Botswana is a low-population wild country with spectacular countryside and loads of wild animals. Elephants, giraffe and antelope are a common site as you travel through the land.

Elephant watering hole

Brian with his finger on the starter button just in case it's true...

Its a Hondaphant

Brian reached in for his side-arm but only finds antacids

Its just like being in the zoo he said, only better...

DesertSweeper screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 08:21 PM Reason: typos
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #58
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked Time is the master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Looks like a total blast when the bikes are working.

Hope everything's set and ready but boy you guys lost out on a lot of days! Gonna be a race to the finish if you're not careful

You know these bikes are certainly not good for reliable adventure riding. Are they reliable? No. Are they comfortable? No. Did I ever say I was bright? No…

As you say, when they go they are an absolute blast. But they ARE old and they do suffer maladies. A bit like their riders then…

Just ride we say…when you can...

And yes it is becoming a bit of a race to the Gorilla's (a life's dream of Brian that we must fulfil) - it's going to be very close - there is a lot of ground to cover and we are set to go where cars fear to tread...
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #59
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The mighty Zambezi

We race the setting sun and arrive in Kasane in Northern botswana just in time for sundowners on the wide smooth river. Zambia is visible over on the other side – tomorrow we will cross over the ferry into a new country with a new set of adventures and no doubt challenges. As “Sarahp” puts it – we have lost many days and need to make up time. We need to buy back a few days and a plan to do just that is formulating in my helmet head…but for now its frosty beer and merciless mosquitoes...

The mighty Zambezi in the setting sun

Your scribe...pensive and beery eyed
Old 05-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #60
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Old House Lodge Kasane

Our accommodation is “The Old House Lodge” – a spectacular place frequented by locals who’s daily tales resound through the open bar on the banks of the river. It’s not cheap (and the price doesn’t include breakfast) but well worth it for a night of upmarket luxury before we dive into the bowels of deepest darkest Zambia

The jetty at The Old House Lodge...it just looks like Brian