User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
LtDan OP
I'm going home

Oddometer: 226
1200GS Won't go fast?

Here's the deal, ran out of gas last week on a trip to LA, leaned her over and got a few more miles but not enough. Eased into some Cajon shop building something and they had a big gas tank around back, said no problem and he pumped 3 or 4 gallons in. Well shortly after that I noticed bike will not accept to much throttle at once. Does not matter RPM, bike will accelerate OK, run 80 down the slab, but if you try to give to much throttle it just starts sputtering.
Figured it to either be the gas I found or maybe sucked up a bunch of trash from completely draining the tank. Soooo, mixed up a concoction of gas dryers and fuel injector cleaner and rode her home, about 4 tanks worth of travel. No change, hooked up the GS911 and everything was in order, as far as I can tell, got a spare injector and swapped it out on both sides, no different. Figured I'd take the tank of now and clean. Being I was in LA, is it possible they had some home brew they were using that had lead in it and stopped up the Cat.? I have a spare can, is the Cat in the can?
Any of you smarter than me got any ideas bout this?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Dan
865-448-6090
www.gsmmotorent.com
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 881
Yes the cat is in the can. The fuel filter is in the tank.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
I have a spare can, is the Cat in the can?
Dan
As I recall the "cat was in the hat"...right?

Have a great Sunday.
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Maybe different in the states but in Europe the cat isn't in the can, it's under the engine after the Y connection.
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Maybe different in the states but in Europe the cat isn't in the can, it's under the engine after the Y connection.
That's how it is on my '07 but maybe it's different on the cam head?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
That's how it is on my '07 but maybe it's different on the cam head?
Not over here it hasn't, it's still under the engine on the camheads
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
Sounds like our fuel filter is clogged to me.

That one tank of crappy gas is all it takes.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
The screen inside is doing its job....maybe saving your injectors or more.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
Here's the deal, ran out of gas last week on a trip to LA, leaned her over and got a few more miles but not enough. Eased into some Cajon shop building something and they had a big gas tank around back, said no problem and he pumped 3 or 4 gallons in. Well shortly after that I noticed bike will not accept to much throttle at once. Does not matter RPM, bike will accelerate OK, run 80 down the slab, but if you try to give to much throttle it just starts sputtering.
Figured it to either be the gas I found or maybe sucked up a bunch of trash from completely draining the tank. Soooo, mixed up a concoction of gas dryers and fuel injector cleaner and rode her home, about 4 tanks worth of travel. No change, hooked up the GS911 and everything was in order, as far as I can tell, got a spare injector and swapped it out on both sides, no different. Figured I'd take the tank of now and clean. Being I was in LA, is it possible they had some home brew they were using that had lead in it and stopped up the Cat.? I have a spare can, is the Cat in the can?
Dan
What was the grade and octane of this mystery fuel? Was it gasoline? Diesel? Chanel #5?

Was it full of water? How much did they charge for the fuel? Was there a state inspection sticker on the pump? Was there even a pump? Was the fuel a name brand or just a liquid they called motor fuel?

What the hell did you put into your BMW tank anyway?

I would call the station and ask some questions and determine if they are a licensed fuel retailer. Also, tell them the fuel is being analyzed due to your dilemma and you'll get back to them with the repair bill.

I would start with removing and flushing the tank. Change the fuel filter. Clean the injectors as well as the injector inlet screens. Watch for rust, water, debris and a strange smell from the mystery fuel.

I had this happen at a name brand station when my GS was new (less than 1000 miles). The station is now closed because they were selling substandard motor fuel fraudulently.

Report back what you find.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
LtDan OP
I'm going home

Thanks for the replies guys. Pulled the tank off last night and am fixin to drain her to see what was in there. Bike is a '05 1200GS with 105K on her. Several said check the fuel filter, well from what I can tell there is none, only a screen at the bottom of the pump.
Def, as far as the fuel is concerned, who knows. They use it in their operation, probably fuel for some ancient Hyster forklift or something, no recourse as they didn't charge me for it. Told the Dude 1/2 gal would be plenty but he damned near filled it, which I couldn't tell because no meter on pump.
Swapped the can out with one I found at the MOA rally in Johnson City several years ago, again no change.
Will report back after fuel is drained.....
865-448-6090
www.gsmmotorent.com
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
def
I've little to say

Thoroughly clean the tank of the mystery fuel. Also, change the filter, clean the injectors and the little injector screens. Check the pump strainer for trash and replace the pump strainer. Assemble and add fresh fuel with some Techron and ride the bike.

Report back.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
def
I've little to say

As far as the CAT is concerned, leaded fuel doesn't block it. The lead poisons the metallic catalyst (platinum material) and renders it inoperative and your bike now pollutes.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 763
It may be a coincidence after putting in questionable gas, but the symptoms have a remarkable resemblance to my fuel pump electronic crapping out on my 2006GS with 25K miles. The "mystery" plagued the dealer, who had my bike for a month this summer and charged me $900 to fix the bike! Oh, and the failed electronic didn't show up on the computer diagnostic either.

pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 379
There is a fuel filter in the R1200, it's part of the fuel flange assembly...cost about $300.00 and is supposed to be lifetime filter.

Had a similar problem and replace fuel pump with a bosch unit. Also I reversed flushed the filter in the flange

Joe
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
LtDan OP
I'm going home

Thanks for all the advice, think the problem is solved, well almost. Removed, drained, and cleaned out the fuel tank, seem to have an oily residue on the inside, diesel, 2 stroke oil mix? Screen looked clean, wish I had seen Joe's post earlier, I might have tried to reverse flush the "lifetime" filter.
After refilling with good clean high octane E10 took a test ride, really no change at that time. Stumped, I took her for a ride, after about 30 miles she started running better, problem is almost gone, only when you twist it hard does it try to miss.
I just don't understand after running 4 tanks of gas through her coming home that whatever it was was still in there.
Next time I'll be more careful who I bum gas from I guess!

Dan
865-448-6090
www.gsmmotorent.com