Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,077
I don't see how you can subtract the oil in the circulatrion/filters? That is included on every bike engine and is being used to lube the engine and spread heat across a greater capacity. I recall getting closer to 1.4 in mine but that was a few years ago. I guess my 530 only has .4 liters of oil in it by that standard?

My 02 520 was my MX race bike, then a practice bike, then a street adv/commuter with a 6.6g tank/windshield and never had an oil cooler or even a fan. With street tires it was a joy to commute on and probably had + 40k miles when I sold it to the next guy who was going to race it again. All on the stock top end over the course of 7 years ownership.

I did run a cush hub on it the last 2 years I owned it, doubt it mattered.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Your requirements, in list form:
  • powerful and light
  • long day of traveling in the saddle cruising 75 mph the interstate
  • daily street commuter
  • substantial net work of interstate commuting
  • weekend warrior on the trails and in the woods
  • at least 48 ponies
  • less than 280 lbs of bike

The bike doesn't exist that meets all these requirement well.

KTM EXC & Husky TE are the closest you'll find. They got the power, weight and off-road covered.

DR650 has OK power, is far from light (but lighter than a KLR), has nowhere near 48 HP, weighs 85-90 lbs more than 280, but would handle your street requirements fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
  • powerful and light
  • daily street commuter
  • at least 48 ponies

KTM EXC & Husky TE are the closest you'll find. They got the power, weight and off-road covered.

DR650 has OK power, is far from light (but lighter than a KLR), has nowhere near 48 HP, weighs 85-90 lbs more than 280, but would handle your street requirements fine.
I agree that the want list sounds like what everyone of us wishes for but never finds. Part of the reason is the wants conflict with each other. Finding a bike that is good for 75mph on long interstate slab runs will not be the same bike that makes for a good weekend warrior woods bike. Add in the power/weight numbers and financial constraints and you're fairly doomed.

I do think the older KTM EXE and Husky TE are decent starting points but don't expect either to be great long haul slab machines. And if you're racking up the miles on a EXC be ready for frequent shop time for the req'd TLC to keep her humming.

I've ridden a couple XR650Rs and they are nice bikes. If Honda had chosen to develop that bike further to replace the aging aircooled XR650L with E-start, street legal out the door, and a more durable subframe and footpeg mounts, I suspect they'd be selling lots of them today. Why Honda never chose to further develop that bike is completely beyond me, seriously. It had the makings of a great 650 class Adventure bike with some massaging. But for me, no E-start means no deal and it has to be street legal in SoCal for me. I've owned other big thumpers that were kick start only so I've been down that road before.

I think I'd opt for a DR650 myself given your general mission statement and learn live with the power/weight that is there. I think it's the best and easiest option out there for your requirements. Maybe someday Suzuki will see fit to build a DRZ650 with a 6spd gearbox and fuel injection...... hello Suzuki, are you listening??? The world is waiting.......
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I don't see how you can subtract the oil in the circulatrion/filters? That is included on every bike engine and is being used to lube the engine and spread heat across a greater capacity. I recall getting closer to 1.4 in mine but that was a few years ago. I guess my 530 only has .4 liters of oil in it by that standard?

My 02 520 was my MX race bike, then a practice bike, then a street adv/commuter with a 6.6g tank/windshield and never had an oil cooler or even a fan. With street tires it was a joy to commute on and probably had + 40k miles when I sold it to the next guy who was going to race it again. All on the stock top end over the course of 7 years ownership.

I did run a cush hub on it the last 2 years I owned it, doubt it mattered.
Not to fuel this fire any longer - but I have never been able to squeeze in more than 1.1 maybe 1.2 - most of the time it was less than a qt without filter change.

Give or take that miniscule amount - its still not much oil compared to the other street minded choices.

You truly are a lucky man to get 40K on a bike with the original top end - especially given the former back ground of that bike. I took mine apart at 200hrs - which I thought was phenom for a RFS(most recommend rebuild at +/- 100 hrs) - and it truly needed the works done to it (piston/rings/valves/seats/camchain/gears) How many clutches did you go thru during your ownership ?? My trans looked sweet when I had that apart - but much of that can be cuz I use large knobbed tires instead of street gripping road tires. So you putting a cush hub on probably helped the cause quite a bit - you just couldnt see the benefits. What oil were you using too ?? I might have to switch from Motorex if your getting that kind of mileage and didnt have to pull it apart. You Da Man
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Not to fuel this fire any longer - but I have never been able to squeeze in more than 1.1 maybe 1.2 - most of the time it was less than a qt without filter change.

Give or take that miniscule amount - its still not much oil compared to the other street minded choices.

You truly are a lucky man to get 40K on a bike with the original top end - especially given the former back ground of that bike. I took mine apart at 200hrs - which I thought was phenom for a RFS(most recommend rebuild at +/- 100 hrs) - and it truly needed the works done to it (piston/rings/valves/seats/camchain/gears) How many clutches did you go thru during your ownership ?? My trans looked sweet when I had that apart - but much of that can be cuz I use large knobbed tires instead of street gripping road tires. So you putting a cush hub on probably helped the cause quite a bit - you just couldnt see the benefits. What oil were you using too ?? I might have to switch from Motorex if your getting that kind of mileage and didnt have to pull it apart. You Da Man
OE clutch too. I think I put a WP seal in it near the end. Amsoil its whole life and SS filter towards the end as well. I have both my current hi-po singles for sale right now, whichever sells first I'll keep the other, EXC530 and Burg 570. I'll use the remaining bike as a street sumoto as well as race off roader/DSer and if I want to ride it across the country I'll not hesitate as either would do it just fine IMO.

Clean air means more than anything else, fresh oil is good but I use Rotella now. I've been racing 4t since the old LC-4 620SX days so the clutch isn't of much use to me. I haven't replaced a disc on my bikes in +20 years of MX/endo/scrambles.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
That is why I mentioned the dr650.
Its a lot lighter then a klr, and makes more power, and an easy air box cut and pumper carb mod makes it rock.
Getting a used upgraded one with low miles real cheap is not hard to do.

No, its nothing like a plated dirt bike, but it does real well on the street (its smooth), and its a good platform to start with.

The klr is rated 80% street, 20% dirt, the dr is 50/50, and the xr is 20/80 from what I read here.

The euro bikes are great in the dirt, if you do not mind paying attention to them.
They are very popular around here, but they come in the back of trucks, they are usually not ridden to the trails.

I live real close to the dirt and would love to have one, but they are out of my reach.
You can be sure as soon as I hit the lottery I am getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm researching the suggestions.

SparrowHawk,
I know the typical answer is that I ask too much from one bike but realistically I don't think I do. I had the klr stripped down. No mirrors no wind screen blah blah- had it in as much mx trim as possible and enjoyed it on mud and asphalt. Had she been able to give me a few more ponies I'd get another. He'd she been a little lighter with the same hp I'd get another. So for me the klr was really close. I don't think I'm asking too much. In fact if Kwai would get off their backsides regarding the klr it could be incredible. But they haven't and won't.

I like the thought of a Ktm but will have to check on prices...
Still thinking all things considered for the monies the xr might fill the bill.

Educate me! Thanks everyone.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I agree that the want list sounds like what everyone of us wishes for but never finds. Part of the reason is the wants conflict with each other. Finding a bike that is good for 75mph on long interstate slab runs will not be the same bike that makes for a good weekend warrior woods bike. Add in the power/weight numbers and financial constraints and you're fairly doomed.

I do think the older KTM EXE and Husky TE are decent starting points but don't expect either to be great long haul slab machines. And if you're racking up the miles on a EXC be ready for frequent shop time for the req'd TLC to keep her humming.

I've ridden a couple XR650Rs and they are nice bikes. If Honda had chosen to develop that bike further to replace the aging aircooled XR650L with E-start, street legal out the door, and a more durable subframe and footpeg mounts, I suspect they'd be selling lots of them today. Why Honda never chose to further develop that bike is completely beyond me, seriously. It had the makings of a great 650 class Adventure bike with some massaging. But for me, no E-start means no deal and it has to be street legal in SoCal for me. I've owned other big thumpers that were kick start only so I've been down that road before.

I think I'd opt for a DR650 myself given your general mission statement and learn live with the power/weight that is there. I think it's the best and easiest option out there for your requirements. Maybe someday Suzuki will see fit to build a DRZ650 with a 6spd gearbox and fuel injection...... hello Suzuki, are you listening??? The world is waiting.......
Husky already built it.. TE 610/630
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm researching the suggestions.

SparrowHawk,
I know the typical answer is that I ask too much from one bike but realistically I don't think I do. I had the klr stripped down. No mirrors no wind screen blah blah- had it in as much mx trim as possible and enjoyed it on mud and asphalt. Had she been able to give me a few more ponies I'd get another. He'd she been a little lighter with the same hp I'd get another. So for me the klr was really close. I don't think I'm asking too much. In fact if Kwai would get off their backsides regarding the klr it could be incredible. But they haven't and won't.

I like the thought of a Ktm but will have to check on prices...
Still thinking all things considered for the monies the xr might fill the bill.

Educate me! Thanks everyone.
Hey, I was just using your criteria. You will need to do more than strip off mirrors and windscreen to get a 435 lb KLR to 280 lb. You wlll also need to remove the engine/tranny, both wheels, the front forks, and who knows what else to drop 155 lb. The XRR is a great choice if you can plate it in your state (something to check before you buy) and you can accept a kicker and 300 lb instead of 280. It won't be that easy to find 20 pounds to lose on an XRR to reach your 280 lb. specification on a limited budget. There's not much to strip off and titanium parts are spendy. Removing the wheels might do it but then it wouldn't be such a great daily commuter.

If you had fun on a stripped KLR (420 lb?) and are OK with getting into a bike around 325 lb. then the choices open up with some real capable bikes. KTM's non-Adventure 620/640 LC4 range is especially capable off road as is Husky's TE 610/630. You can pick up clean used models for around $3,000. Honda's XR650L is also very good but doesn't have the same quality suspension or power as the Euros. All of these would do just fine for all the uses you list. I have a '00 KTM LC4E that is my trail/commuter/adventure/tourer/freeway cruiser that I've put over 20,000 trouble free miles in six years. I highly recommend one but it weighs about 330 lb.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 03:36 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Husky already built it.. TE 610/630
The Husky is one of the only 2 logical choices if leaning to the dirt side of the spectrum. Still misses the target OP's weight by 60 lbs (320lb + 3.3 gallons of fuel). Far from 1st choice for interstates though.

Snatchy fueling at initial throttle and vibration are the only negatives in this review:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/135/65...irst-Ride.aspx

Based on the OP's requirements, I think this is the bike:

KTM 690 Enduro is maybe 20lbs lighter than the Husky (320lbs wet). Sounds better on the road too.
http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dir...o/viewall.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/66...le-Review.aspx

I'll have to find myself a test ride one of these days (probably best not to though, they're expensive).
Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
TresMon OP
TresMon aka Cpt. Insanimo

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Maybe someday Suzuki will see fit to build a DRZ650 with a 6spd gearbox and fuel injection...... hello Suzuki, are you listening??? The world is waiting.......
Please send the same smoke signals to the blind & def folk at Kawi Industries!!

Okay so from all I read from you folks gracious in put I'm really wanting to flog a XRR and see how it suits me and..... I found an affordable te610 listed. Don't know the shape of it but put a call in. You've also made me leery of high strung bikes. As a machinist I can do my own maintenance, cyl boring etc etc but I hate working on junk!

You guys are giving good Inof and Im doin my part by following up on the homework.

Thanks! Keep it coming!

Tres MonCeret
Appalachain Street & Trail riders club
"It is not dying man should fear, rather at his time of death, he should fear never having lived."
- Marcus Arelius

So let me get this straight... YOU Said JESUS was a GOOD teacher, but is not actually the Son Of GOD, and not the ONLY way to heaven. My question for you is this: Is a good teacher still a good teacher if the things he teaches are untrue? John 14:6
TresMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #26
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
  • powerful and light
  • daily street commuter
  • at least 48 ponies

You forgot one:
  • powerful and light
  • daily street commuter
  • at least 48 ponies
  • parts and after market following
Coming from a KLR, that's gonna be hard to match.

Someone's seriously suggesting as a daily highway commuter a bike that has only 1.1 qts of oil in it and no fan? And you measure engine teardown interval in HOURS?!

Look into a bored-out KLR. Back in 2007 Patman got his up to a dynoed 45hp. Combine that with SamM's 345lb KLR diet plan, and you might like it.

A dirt-Ninja might work too, if you're even more into DIY.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Drift thru a few pages here,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201026

before you settle for fat and slow. I had a 610 and sold it as it was basically just a heavy version of my 2002 520EXC. The 610 was great but why lug around another 50 lbs when the 520 did all the same stuff better. My $0.02.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Look into a bored-out KLR.
Although I didn't see what the actual budget was, I was thinking the Husky TE would be the closest. I guess an XCh is similar too. Those bikes are in the $4-5K range and still 50 lbs over your desired weight. TE is probably the better dirt bike.

On the cheap side, a DRZ is probably closest and and can be found under $3K, but it sucks above 60mph.

A bored out KLR hits very few of your requirements, but it sounds like you loved your KLR. A big bore cheap is pretty cheap. Why not just go that route?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #29
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
XR650R is a nice bike. They were never emission tested, which may or may not be an issue to license in your state. You going to ride at night or power any thing off that stator?. Throw in the price of a rewind, they don't put out much juice.

You did not say which version of the KLX you are looking at. If it is the R version see above. Though a few more aftermarket parts available. If the C version with electric start, the biggest hurdle is a bigger fuel tank. You can't buy a lot of bolt on aftermarket, but there are ways to mod them, if you like.

Routine service parts are the same as a KLR. Valve shims and filters along with the front sprocket are all the same. Moose racing still makes a skid plate. An Ebay DRZ shock bolts up. Respring and valving is DIY.

I have not had a problem with hard parts. Plastics are sketchy, in that you are limited in color.

Want to hop it up?. I have a 678 cc big bore. Oversize valves available from Kibblewhite. Cams can be had from Megacams.

But I am glad people write the bike off because lack of aftermarket. I am looking for another one.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #30
Yosemite4
Hike, ride or die.

Oddometer: 35
My two cents

Of the bikes my vote would be for the Honda XR650L (tall) or the Suzuki 650DR: parts are plentiful, the bikes strong and reliable, and easily set up with luggage/pannier racks. Soft luggage systems are made for either. The Suzuki is lower than the Honda (I'm 5'9") but next to the BMW 650GS is one of the most comfortable dualsport bikes I've ever sat on, with plenty of power. Ergonomically, the 650DR is a comfortable well-balanced design though it could do with some sexier upgrades to its exterior appearance. The all black edition was a step in the right direction!

The 400DRZ tracks much higher, than the 650, again, dirt-road performance taking precedence over the road (70 dirt/30road). I can flat foot it on the 650DR but not the 400DRZ. I've tried the newer Husky and an old dualsport version of the KTM 525. They are race bikes at heart, perform beautifully in the dirt and good for shorter road rides. Riding either to Alaska or up to Montana would be a push: enter the F650GS and the KLR 650. I found the KLR bulky on the front end, but it is more dirt-oriented than the F650GS which I would rate 25 dirt/75 road; the KLR 55/45.

Of all the bikes I've test-ridden, the KTM was by far my favorite performer on dirt roads, but was not designed for long distance pavement with luggage (which is hard to find for either the KTM or Husky). It and the same cc Husky were too tall for me.

I dream of the day someone imports a 350cc dualsport, like a 350 or 400 cc Honda or Suzuki with a tail rack ready for soft panniers and a desert tank, low enough that most riders 5'9" and under can sit on it, with 60dirt/40road capability. I wouldn't ride it to Alaska, but it would be perfect for 200 mile day loops from dirt to road.

Yosemite4 screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 09:04 AM
Yosemite4 is offline   Reply With Quote