User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Oddometer: 534
Corsica/Sardinia En Moto

Making a space for my first ride report. I'll try to fill in the details later on from the desert after I can sift through all the pictures

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the amazing stories on this site now for a few years and this would be my first attempt to put the inspiration in motion. I picked up my new F800GS in mid March and rushed to get the initial break-in and service done in time for an April trip (ended up being pushed ahead to March!). As it is still a bit cold in Europe and not yet tourist season, I decided to head south to Corsica and possibly Sardinia. The extent of my planning was a handful of landmarks to orient myself - and that was it. Some of the best riding though by far came when it was least expected, or when I was making an unscheduled "detour" for some reason. All in all it was an amazing experience and with all I learned I expect it will get even better next time

Previews

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 01:11 PM
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Excellent! Some magnificent roads there s77.
Keep the pics coming.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,449
oh yeeah!! can't wait to see more of that bike! LOVE IT
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Gart
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Very nice! Looked like it was a great ride.
Gart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Day I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
oh yeeah!! can't wait to see more of that bike! LOVE IT
You and me both

Day 1 got off to a rough start. I hadn't been home for a few weeks and the trip had to be moved ahead of schedule! On Friday evening I chased down the SW Motech crash bars I'd ordered online by showing up at the shipping warehouse and convincing some Germans to do something outside of the procedures. I really adore how efficient and orderly Germany is (especially the driving!) but if you've been to Germany you know that bending a rule is hard to do! This package would later save both sides of my bike from pavement in a single incident. I'd hoped to leave at some point on Saturday but I just had too many general loose ends and errands I wanted to tie up before leaving. The show stopper was that the 4GB premade OSM map I had downloaded would not fit on my 4GB card. In Europe I am hopeless without my GPS maps.. I figured it was best I at least do a test ride of my new mods/gear and leave bright and early the next day.

The premade OSM Garmin files I found online were either too big (all of Europe) or too small for this trip (individual countries). I eventually found a super handy resource - Free customizable routable Garmin maps by Lambertus

squawk77 screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 02:28 PM
Old 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Day II

Sunday morning I was off with the intention of making up some lost time as I had already booked the ferry to Corsica. The GPS took me on an odd route until I got the settings sorted out, but I made it to Luxembourg for lunch. Lots of roundabouts (which I prefer!) small towns and decent country roads with very light traffic. A 3/4 tank of gas in France costs €20 ($26!) and a fresh baguette/drink costs €7. I was keen to try out my camping gear but it did get pretty cold at night. I've slept great on snow in -20 or so, but it's something about humidity/dew or ground that makes it feel cold just above the freezing temps. I was motivated to press further south.

Luxembourg:

Verdun

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 07:45 AM Reason: Images
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Day III

The next morning I continued SW in the general direction of Rocamadour. Rode through a lot of quaint old renaissance era towns (I believe). It was interesting but got a pretty old (no pun) until I approached Clermont-Ferrand. The flat ground suddenly has a backdrop of volcanoes in the distance known as Chaîne des Puys with one that sticks out just 10kms outside the city (which I read now has a Roman temple, Puy de Dôme) The city has a very modern-Euro hybrid feel to it with bullet trains smooth pavement and a tall dark Gothic cathédrale jetting out above the lower light beige buildings. I'm only describing it because I have no picture to do it justice, and it was just one of those unexpected sights that fascinated me. I also had the best baguette sandwich ever there (never knew a sandwich could be so good with just meat/bread/butter and not drowned in sauce) The futuristic looking light-guided buses and speed trains are actually Canadian Bombardier, but I'd never seen them before

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 08:16 AM Reason: Wiki Links
Old 04-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Day IV

The next morning I set the GPS for Rocamadour, or so I thought. The coords I set must have been in minutes/seconds because I passed it and then doubled back after lunch. Not yet being tourist season, Rocamodour was quiet and peaceful but it is apparently one of the most visited sites in France. After that I set the GPS for Millau - site of the tallest bridge in the world. Doubling back for Rocamadour made it a long day. As I arrived in Millau people were base jumping into the gorge and I passed the LZ at the edge of town. The many camp grounds were closed (including the municipal one whatever that is) but I was happy to find a wild camp site in a meadow between the Tarn river and a steep cliff.

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 10:19 AM
Old 04-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 10:30 AM
Old 04-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Jimdamit
не стреляйте

Oddometer: 42
Keep it coming!

I'm following this report and looking for ideas. I am in Germany for the next 6 months and am trying to plan several trips for when my bike actually arrives. Looks like you had a great trip so far!
I am looking forward to Corsica and Sardinia!
Jimdamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdamit View Post
I'm following this report and looking for ideas. I am in Germany for the next 6 months and am trying to plan several trips for when my bike actually arrives. Looks like you had a great trip so far!
I am looking forward to Corsica and Sardinia!
I was enjoying myself up until this point, but the wow factor ramps up the next morning in the Gorge du Tarn/Verdun and Côte d'Azur. Corsica was just sensational the entire time. I had to avoid the alps because the roads are blocked with snow, but I think eastern France would have been great as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
I was enjoying myself up until this point, but the wow factor ramps up the next morning in the Gorge du Tarn/Verdun and Côte d'Azur. Corsica was just sensational the entire time. I had to avoid the alps because the roads are blocked with snow, but I think eastern France would have been great as well.
Yeah eastern FR is very nice, Strasburg is beautiful and next to it you have les Vosges where you have nice curvy roads
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Yeah eastern FR is very nice, Strasburg is beautiful and next to it you have les Vosges where you have nice curvy roads
Ah man, I just missed both of those across the German border as I wanted to explore ex Cdn cold war bases. Next time
Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Some of the best riding though by far came when it was least expected, or when I was making an unscheduled "detour" for some reason.
Funny how that works out.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Ah man, I just missed both of those across the German border as I wanted to explore ex Cdn cold war bases. Next time
If you want to see more of france buy this book from Michelin. It's very well made with maps, informations about the spots, campings, hotels, restaurants etc etc and with roadbooks that you can DL on your GPS. it costs 16€ and is worth every penny:

http://www.viamichelin.fr/tpl/fr/mag...elecharger.htm
Quote: