ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
bigvern OP

Oddometer: 60
Just how hard is it to cross a river in the Ozarks??

Time to get this ride report started of a recent trip to the Ozarks to run some of the trails and as it turned out more river crossings than any of us ever planned to do, or even wanted to do

The usual suspects, all of us old enough (some more than others) to know better and the bikes.....

Abyss (aka: David) - KTM 500 XCW

pdavis59 (aka: Phil) - KTM 525 EXC

....and will you just look at those boots !!!!!

bigvern (aka: Neil) - XR650L

The plan.....

Friday : Leave the Dallas area early (it was dark), get up to the cabin (Steele Creek - between Jasper and Ponca) by early afternoon and go for a shake down ride

Saturday : Ride to Oark for lunch and then find a different way back to the cabin

Sunday : Ride to Ozone for lunch (anyone see a pattern forming?) and then find another different way back to cabin

So between the 3 of us, each with a GPS and a backup paper map, just how hard could this be ?

A few teaser pictures to get this started....

...are you sure you want to try this one ? (and again, look at those boots !!!!)

If this is the road, where's the "other end" ?

An "easier" river - at least it was flat and no slime (yet)

...and yes that is a snake and yes it is alive

More later....

bigvern screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 09:50 AM Reason: Fixed broken picture links
bigvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,235
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
I appreciate

You staring this off using a picture of me vertical on the bike and dry.

while the bike didn't nap in any streams I can't say I was as lucky!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,836

I have a feeling this is gonna be good
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
ABYSS
KTM

Lets see

a close up of that snake shall we... this guy was just sitting there content as he could be. I had some time while the other two were crossing so I just sat there and watched him. He was wrapped around the rock,"I suspect using it as a anchor so get wouldnt get swept away". He would bring his head up and open his mouth for a minute or two then go back down. The water wasnt too cold and yes I know that first hand. So he must have been waiting for dinner to float by???

ABYSS screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 02:44 PM
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
bigvern OP

Friday: Just get there and ride

The day started early - bloody early and it was dark and foggy when the guys picked me up. Still we (or rather they) got my bike loaded - did I mention it was early and pre-coffee - and we hit the road for Jasper.

Ended up getting to Jasper around 1:30pm so we decided to hit the Ozark cafe for lunch before heading out to the cabin and unloading the bikes.

So after a good lunch (the Ozark cafe is always good) we got to the cabin and got bikes and gear unloaded ready for a short late afternoon shake down ride.

The cabin - pretty nice, but as the sleeping area was just one large open loft with 3 beds, ear plugs were going to be a necessity to drown out the snoring

Bikes ready to go:

The basic plan was simple:

From the cabin head to Low Gap and from there pick up the road to Shiloh
From Shiloh head down in to Murray before looping back to Parthanon and from there back in to Jasper for dinner - again at the Ozark cafe.

......I've mentioned we liked this place right ? Phil and David get treated like locals - especially Phil - You should see how much ice cream they load him up with compared to anyone else.

So we get to Low Gap and immediately take the wrong road - easy mistake. We (well actually Phil - David and I just followed) took the dirt road instead of the paved road (which also immediately turned in to a dirt within 100yds anyway) and before we knew it we were basically at a dead end.

I think we'll just put this one down to not being able to read the GPS properly - who knew this would end up being a common theme.

The ride down through Shiloh in to the Murray valley was just what we were looking for in a shake down ride - a good road which was pretty steep at times and even a river crossing at the bottom of the valley to get things started....

It's all down hill to the river from here...

Our first (but not last) river crossing. We approached this with caution and then volunteered Phil to be the first to cross.

Phil is the best rider out of the 3 of us on the dirt and the loose stuff so this seemed like a good idea. In hindsight this was probably a mistake and something that would later lead David and I in to a false sense of security / confidence when hitting other river crossings.

The lesson we learned later was a simple one:

Just becasue Phil didn't dump it in the river doesn't mean you won't.

....or to put it another way

Do not trust Phil when he waves you across saying it's fine, while all the time holding his camera at the ready......

Great form, but will you just look at those boots !!!!

Easy does it.....The weight of the XR (aka BRP or Big Red Pig) certainly keeps it planted and the tractor rear tire didn't hurt either.

....and finally our sweep - Upright, dry and generally pointed in the right direction - this time anyway

Finished up in Jasper for dinner

By the time we left Jasper it was dark, which basically meant trying to avoid the critters on the ride back, but it also meant there was an opportunity to test out the new headlight setup on David's KTM - all I can say is that it's bloody bright.

More later......

bigvern screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:09 AM Reason: Fixed picture links
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

Oddometer: 53
Looks like fun!

Just wanted to know if you guys know the amount of horsepower the KTM500XCW produces?
I am eager to know...

The water is so clear at your first crossing, wow!
Looking forward to the rest...

'92 Honda XR600R
Rocket_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Is it my imagination, or is there a big chunk missing out of that snake's side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post

AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Rookie View Post
Looks like fun!

Just wanted to know if you guys know the amount of horsepower the KTM500XCW produces?
I am eager to know...

The water is so clear at your first crossing, wow!
Looking forward to the rest...

The bike is mine and to be honest I don't know how much power it makes. I can say comparing it to the SUPERENDURO the power to weight ratio is identical if not more on the XCW. Keep in mind I'm 6 foot one and weigh 260 pounds. I did switch to the 14/48 years for a while but went back to the 13/50s which is where I'm going to stay. Plenty of torque, no need for any aftermarket mods to increase horsepower.

Yes that water crossing was clear however they didn't capture on film me looping my bike because I was misled by Phil and there was tons of slime on the bottom. Neil went ahead of me and almost dropped his front end over the waterfall. So I corrected and headed further to the west upstream which proved to be even more slick and the back end walked out from under me. Luckily I stood up off the bike and caught it before it went all the way down but hit the throttle at the same note and got a donut in the middle of the stream. It was funny and I wish we would have got it on film. The bike never went all the way down however my feet were no longer hot as my boots were full of water. I learned very quickly that boots are not waterproof above the knee.

ABYSS screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 03:52 AM
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspentureRider View Post
Is it my imagination, or is there a big chunk missing out of that snake's side?
That is exactly what I thought at first but if you look closely at the picture just to the left of the snake,you see the ripples in the water. That's all it was was the visual effect of the ripples over the body of the snake. He didn't even seem to care that my tire was right there next to him. He looked at it when I first drove up and went right back to business.

ABYSS screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 06:09 PM
Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
bigvern OP

Saturday: Oark for lunch followed by the trail that wasn’t really there and 4 rivers

The plan for the day sounded straight forward enough.

Ride to Jasper for breakfast, get gas, find a forest service map – remember we got lost using just the GPS and then ride down to Oark for lunch….oh and as always try to get back alive.

Breakfast was good, gas’ed up the bikes and even found a map, so we were 3 for 3 and we hadn’t even left Jasper yet – it was going to be a good day ‘tater

First “event” of the day was watching Phil have to use a kerb to get back on his bike at the gas station. This was one of the funniest things I’d seen in a long time, the poor old man couldn’t get back on his bike, but unfortunately there are no pictures of this “senior” moment as I was laughing too much. He claimed it was just too early to be stretching that far, but I’m thinking that maybe those boots of his are heavier than they look?

To get to Oark the planned route was to pick up County Rd 5 (Cave Mountain Road) to get us down to Hwy 16 and then from there after a brief slab run on 16 head down on County Rd 3 / 101 / 1404 / 5261 to Oark.

At this point I feel I should add a comment or word of caution regarding navigation is these here parts – especially for those who’ve never been to Arkansas yet, especially to the Ozark area…..

-There are very few signs – if any at all
-Even if there is a sign it might only be visible from one direction only and not both (very economical)
-The County Rd number and the Forest Service Rd number for the same road will not match
-As with most places the locals seem to like to shoot the signs – who knew they would be so dangerous – the signs that is to warrant being shot – not the locals
-All roads will go “somewhere” – maybe
-Never trust a road called “City Road 311” – a teaser for what happened on Sunday

Even though we had a plan, David threw in a suggested “more scenic” detour to get us down to County Rd 5.

“How about crossing the river just south of Ponca and looping around County Rd 164 and 24 to get us down to 5”

Phil and I having very little will power in these type of situations agreed – I mean how bad could it be?

This is what we faced when we got down there…..I think David is still thinking it’s doable at this point.

I think this is the point where he’s trying to sell us on the idea of throwing some rocks in to give us something to ride on as it looks like its “only” 4 to 5 feet deep

…and this is the point where I think he finally comes to his senses

...and in case I haven’t mentioned it - will you just look at those boots

Still it was a nice spot and it allowed me to take a nice picture of the bikes reflected in the water

…and I’m just throwing this picture in as I have absolutely no idea what he was doing. Perhaps he's trying to keep those shiny white boots clean

…and a couple of action shots of us riding back up to the road – it was steeper than it appears and it almost looks like we know what we’re doing – that’s a damn clever (forgiving) camera right there

...and do I need to mention the boots again?

Anyway, after admitting defeat on this one we headed straight down to County Road 5 and rode down to Oark

Next installment - Lunch or how to turn a grumpy Phil in to a happy Phil……

bigvern screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:23 AM Reason: Fixed picture links
Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
no marc coma ditch crossing videos... dang
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
ABYSS
KTM

Wicked you heard one of the three views now here is mine.

We got lost? Who was Phil and I's leader?? Who's is pictured staring at a GPS mounted on his bike as if to be thinking "Wait a minute this is someones driveway?"

Jasper for breakfast is the plan every day we are there,
His "royal hiness" "Phil" has to make an public appearance to his loyal subjects or the villagers get angry.

As far as plans go I dont know. I think there are three distinct personalities with the three of us.
In my everday life am very structured probably to the point of annyoing my wife and friends.
However when it comes to getting out on the bike I am a polar oposite. I have a GPS in my camel back
and head in a direction and not worry to much about anything other than gas. I have been hanging
out in National forests since I was a little l kid so my comfort level is very high. For me its about
being able to ditch the above daily lifestyle and just relax with as little thought as possibile..
So I may goof off once in awhile, stop periodically to take a pic or even just sit and realx for awhile.

On this trip I was in the water quite a bit too giving my feet repetative spa treatments, not intentionally I assure you.

Back to my $.02 we were able to get to the forestery office north of Jasper a mile or two and get
forest maps. somehting that I thought was funny is that they were selling the maps for 10.95 each.
What I find is peculuar is that some forestry locations give them away and some sell them. Either
someone is making a bit of change on the side or the system is messed up. I really dont mind buying a map hell I just dropped a fortune onthe 24K topo updates. But if that cash is going to go to closing or limiting our access instead of contributing to the experiance then its a bit depressing. Our goverment at work you have to laugh!

Since Neil saw fit to be reserved in what information has passes on let me fill in the gaps where I can.

If you refrence Neil's second post I think Neil mis-spoke about Phil having a senior moment
the reason Phil was having "This particular moment" while mounting he steed is because
his gut was substancially bigger from breakfast. Here is why, while us everday commonors like Neil and myself get an avarage porition of food Phil's while the king gets double as a result fo his appearance. Wait til you see the size of Icecream sundae he got . We order the same thing and mine was half the size. Mey wait a minute maybe they just dont liek neil and i? As a result of that constant treatment it takes him several hours to wear off the aditional vittles, as a direct result Phil has to use curbs, rocks,fallen trees, even small forest creatures to help him get on the bike.

Plans plans plans bahh humbug!!!! I am on a a dirtbike and want to play in the water & the woods not ride balcktop!.

It was only about 4 or 5 ft deep if we would have hit it with enough speed and the front wheel up we could have skipped across. I never came to my senses. We should have carried them across if we had to it was a mission now, a obsticle to be conqured!

Ya know we both have picked on Phil about the visual appeal in his selection of boot color but you will see once the rest of this is written Phil is the only one who didnt faulter on any watercrossings. Maybe its the Boots HMMMM should be maybe get some white ones? or Maybe the food weigh'd him down so he was stable I dont kow. one thing for sure he didnt air his tires up to the pressure on the sidewall.

Phil has brought me up to speed on who "Marc Coma" is and I am goign to look him up. I have been a woods rider
all my life nothing fancy like what I have heard about Marc. That is more Phil's skill set!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
bigvern OP

Saturday: Lunch then the rivers….

The ride down to Oark was fun - County Rd 5 in particular is a great run down to Hwy 16 – as long as you know where it is – remember no signs

Anyway, we ended up making pretty good time and arrived at the famous Oark café for lunch

Obligatory shot of the café…

...and will you just look at those boots !!!!

Now, we’d heard a lot of good things about the burgers at the Oark café and were looking forward to trying the best they had, when Phil and I were talked in to having the special instead – a pulled pork sandwich. All I can say is wow….

Sammich…

David did actually stick to the plan and went for the burger which didn’t disappoint judging by the speed at which it disappeared. I draw your attention to the “empty” plate in the picture above. This had, albeit briefly, a burger on it for a mere matter of seconds before it seemed to get inhaled. Either way, it was gone and there would be no picture to prove it.

Apparently it was good and the verdict was that it was indeed better than the burger at the Ozark café in Jasper. Sometimes research for the collective can be a real chore….

Satisfied and looking fat and happy we were then offered pie. The sammich had been great and I really didn’t need anything else to eat, but this was pie.

Now at this point I have to confess to a weakness I have developed for pie – in particular blueberry pie ever since Phil and I were in Chicken (Alaska). To this day I’m not sure what caused the obsession, but never the less there are times when you just must have pie – and this was one of them.

Pie……

…and I wasn’t alone in this, the others also succumbed to lure of pie and the boat load of ice cream that went with it. In hindsight maybe it was a good thing that the afternoon’s ride ended up being such a workout.

…and if you needed further proof regarding the power of pie this is Phil….

Before pie…

After pie….

The only thing left do was figure out the afternoon’s route back to Jasper before the post lunch fatigue set in. Phil, now fully re-fueled threw out a suggestion – ride over to Ozone to pick up 5500 and then head generally east to work our way back over to Hwy 123.

Sounded like a plan, from Ozone take County Rd 5500 to 1409, then 4670 to 1004 before coming out on Hwy 123. How hard could it be….and what is that skinny little track that joins 5500 to 1409….

More later....

bigvern screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 05:29 PM
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
ABYSS
KTM

yahoo

my favorite parts are up next.

just to add one point

burger prefrence's for me are.

#1 Oark Cafe
#2 Ozone burger barn
#3 jasper ozark cafe

Ozone used to be #1 but Im sorry you have been replaced. I will ad that if you havent tried thet catfish att he Ozone burger barn you are missing out. it is fantastic!

Guess what Neil, I have done alot of thinking about the white boots and have decided, Gaerne's are in route as this is being typed.