Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvern View Post
snip...

David did actually stick to the plan and went for the burger which didn’t disappoint judging by the speed at which it disappeared. I draw your attention to the “empty” plate in the picture above. This had, albeit briefly, a burger on it for a mere matter of seconds before it seemed to get inhaled. Either way, it was gone and there would be no picture to prove it.

Apparently it was good and the verdict was that it was indeed better than the burger at the Ozark café in Jasper. Sometimes research for the collective can be a real chore….
The plate closest to you is Neil's and you all should notice that he was so concerned about getting a pretty picture that he roated his SANDWICH so his bite mark was away form the leading edge of the photo to make the pictrue as pretty as possibile. Ok I will admit admit it I scarfed mine down pretty fast but if you think his and Phil's were still in there natural state 120 seconds after this pitcure was taken you are sadly mistaken.

Pie wise, even looking at Neil's and you wold likely loose a limb! So not wanting a ambulance ride I ordered my own. I got the peanutbutter pie with a scoop of icecream on top. Notice there is no picture of that either. While they are wasting time taking pictures I am getting down to business. The waitress looked at me funny when I ordered icecream on top of peanutbuuter pie and all I asked her if there is there ANY pie that isnt better with a big scoop of ice cream. She sat there for a second and said you know I guess you are right.

the ride from Oark cafe to OZONE was pretty short one and Pretty dusty too. BUT from OZONE on is where I really started enjoying the ride.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
bigvern OP

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
my favorite parts are up next.

just to add one point

burger prefrence's for me are.

#1 Oark Cafe
#2 Ozone burger barn
#3 jasper ozark cafe

Ozone used to be #1 but Im sorry you have been replaced. I will ad that if you havent tried thet catfish att he Ozone burger barn you are missing out. it is fantastic!

Guess what Neil, I have done alot of thinking about the white boots and have decided, Gaerne's are in route as this is being typed.

The Gaerne's are fine - it's the colour I have issues with - white boots - seriously? . I appreciate that Phil is....how to say this politely..."senior", but that doesn't mean having to be stuck in a 70's time warp

On the other hand maybe its me and "white" is the new "black" - Bollocks, call me a purist but boots should be black

I know you're both already swimming in the "orange" cool-aid but is this the new "white" cool-aid???

...and before I get savaged for the orange cool-aid comment - I have a KTM - in Silver (they're faster)

bigvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
ABYSS
KTM

Well

Quote:
The Gaerne's are fine - it's the colour I have issues with - white boots - seriously? . I appreciate that Phil is....how to say this politely..."senior", but that doesn't mean having to be stuck in a 70's time warp

On the other hand maybe its me and "white" is the new "black" - Bollocks, call me a purist but boots should be black

I know you're both already swimming in the "orange" cool-aid but is this the new "white" cool-aid???

...and before I get savaged for the orange cool-aid comment - I have a KTM - in Silver (they're faster)

In my book BLACK is the only color you can verify that with Phil.

In regards to boots he stayed dry and I didn't. So now you can have white on both sides of you and English Oreo on the trial if you will. Ha!

you want a set of your own yoiu just dont want to admit it.

Should we get some of these too to compliment the look.

Oh and FYI silver cool-aid is on a lessor platform the the orange. Fork seals, brakes, hmm what else silver related was there again. While the may be faster they appear to fall apart faster too.

ABYSS screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 06:13 PM
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Great ride.

Thanks
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
ABYSS
KTM

There is

still pleanty of good stuff as soon as the story teller returns
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
bigvern OP

Quote:
In my book BLACK is the only color you can verify that with Phil.

In regards to boots he stayed dry and I didn't. So now you can have white on both sides of you and English Oreo on the trial if you will. Ha!

you want a set of your own yoiu just dont want to admit it.

Should we get some of these too to compliment the look.

Oh and FYI silver cool-aid is on a lessor platform the the orange. Fork seals, brakes, hmm what else silver related was there again. While the may be faster they appear to fall apart faster too.

No, I really really really don't want a pair of those white boots.

In my book the only things that should be white are washer / dryers and that's it. Apple has a lot to answer for convincing everyone that white is somehow "cool"

As for the sunglasses - not just no but hell no

....and as for the KTM (Silver), yes it had issues but Alaska was brutal. Anyway it's just fine now and everything's fixed. Granted it's still not quite back in one piece yet, but it is fixed.

bigvern screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 08:18 AM
Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
bigvern OP

Quote:
still pleanty of good stuff as soon as the story teller returns

I have the next installment ready to go - I'll post it tomorrow.

It's just taken some time to explain why you were spending so much time "in" the river

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
ABYSS
KTM

ok

Quote:
I have the next installment ready to go - I'll post it tomorrow.

It's just taken some time to explain why you were spending so much time "in" the river

ok I diserve that, But make sure you dont skip the two tiny puddles on day three ok
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 943

This should be good. Good info to know about the area (for my future rides!).

But...those white boots.....

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
bigvern OP

Saturday: The wrong trail and the river crossings….

County Rd 5500 out of Ozone is a pretty easy run – just a regular fire road, but that skinny little track that joined 5500 to 1409, well that was something completely different.

The further you head down this trail, the narrower it gets and the more closed in by the forest it becomes – almost as if this is not a regularly used trail anymore. The clues for what we were about to run in to were all there, we were just clueless to pay attention to them, probably because we were still working through the sugar rush from the pie no doubt.

The final clue should have been the downed tree across the trail that we could “fortunately” still ride around, but no we kept on going until stop….

We stopped where the trail basically disappeared through a small gap in the trees and then dropped steeply through a narrow wash out that was full of rocks.

Decision time – how bad was it and were we really on the right trail – we’re not good with the GPS remember and besides Phil had been leading and I don’t think he ever looks at his GPS. After a quick check we determined a couple of things…

1. The trail we were on was the wrong one – we’d missed a turn
2. Despite being the wrong trail it still looked like it went to the same point we were heading for

U-turn, we needed to find the right trail, which we did but it really didn’t look any better. This one also disappeared in to the ever thickening tree’s, but this way was also flooded – great.

I really don’t think anyone ever uses this trail…..

At this point Phil decided to scout ahead – the verdict – not good. More flooded out sections like this one and also for added fun, low tree branches across the trail to negotiate. Sounded great.

The choice was simple – turn around and head back out to Ozone to find another trail, or just head back down the original rocky washout – if nothing else it looked more direct.

It was at this point that I recklessly suggested that we should just head straight down the washout, I mean how hard could it be?

I should probably mention that I had not seen how steep or how rocky it was when I made this rash decision, but by the time I did see it, it was too late and we were going down this way no matter what – gravity is just like that sometimes.

Unfortunately there are no pictures of this washout as we were too busy getting the bikes down in one piece to stop to admire the view. All I can say is that it is very steep, very narrow, full of rocks both large and small and completely washed out with pretty big steps (rocks) to negotiate every few feet. Basically it’s a complete joy to ride down – not.

It took a while but never the less we all made it down with the bikes intact and immediately hit the first river crossing. It didn’t look too bad, but looks can definitely be deceiving.

As before the plan was easy, send Phil across first. It was only “after” this river crossing that we realized Phil was not to be trusted in all things related to crossing rivers….

….and those boots are just too bright

Basically he rode across with barely a wobble and made it safely to the other side, where, as I’ve mentioned before, he proceeded to wave me across (with no warnings given) all the time with his camera to hand. This should have raised my suspicions, but to be honest I was still recovering from getting down the washout and really didn’t give it any thought.

As soon as you enter the river there’s a step up on to a flat rock section that runs all the way to the other side. The flat rock part was slick like ice and the moment the front wheel hit it the fun began.

Now I could never be accused of having a “graceful” riding technique when crossing rivers at the best of times, but this was ridiculous. Feet immediately down which didn’t really help as it was so slick I still couldn’t really find any grip and all the bike wanted to do was go sideways. At one point I had both feet down, rear wheel spinning and the front wheel sliding sideways towards the edge of the drop off in to the river.

I have never been so glad to find traction in my life and finally managed to get across without dumping the bike.

Next, it was David’s turn. Despite my clear demonstration of how slick it really was David entered the river with purpose, bumped the front wheel up on to the flat rock and went for it.

Ready to go….(dry and pointing in the right direction)

For a split second it looked great, at least for the brief moment before he also lost all traction. Unlike my rather ungainly but ultimately successful solution, David choose to fix the problem by simply applying more power….this did not go well.

The bike pretty much did a donut right there in the middle of the river and went down. Through all this David had somehow managed to dismount the bike and stay upright – we’re still not sure how, but there he was. Impressive self preservation skills right there.

Bike back upright…(slightly damp and pointing in the wrong direction)

Take #2 – slower this time but with a better result (still damp, but upright, on the bike and heading in the right direction)

All safely across – if not a little damp…

Now that we were in the river valley the trail continued to run alongside the river, so it was only a matter of time before we hit river crossing #2. Some people might think that we would learn from each crossing and use that knowledge to improve our technique each time – but they’d be wrong.

The next crossing was different…rocks, lots of them, but at least it wasn’t one large flat rock this time with slime on it. It was deeper, but not too deep and after the last one this would be easy…..

After the first crossing we had at least learnt one thing - Using Phil as a gauge to figure out how bad it was didn’t work and the potential for photo evidence of a spectacular dismount was only going to get higher.

Throwing caution to the wind David went first and as before used the strategy of more power to get across. Looking good so far….

But now where is he going ???

No donut this time, but still not the outcome he was looking for and aren’t you supposed to be on the bike?

Phil’s turn next, not as graceful as the first crossing, but he still managed to make it look easy – maybe those boots are buoyant?

…and again just look at those boots !!!

…and finally my turn, displaying my usual lack of style and technique in favor of the just get the hell across the river approach – who says it has to look pretty

After another short section of trail with lots of loose rocks to contend with it was time for river crossing #3. Only one picture of this one and it was taken after we had all got across. This crossing was deep and the water was moving pretty fast.

The end result:

David, sticking with the strategy of more power got most of the way across before getting stuck and had to walk the bike out……again

Phil looked like he was going to make it, but his luck finally ran out when the bike stalled half way across and ended up having to be pulled out.

As for me, it didn’t win any style points but the XR managed to pull me all the way across and out the other side without stopping. The XR is so heavy that there’s no risk of it floating away, but it will definitely sink if you drop it

And the look of relief to be across…albeit slightly damp

..…I suppose all this water was “unfortunately” keeping those damn boots clean

From this point it looked like we were in the clear and the GPS showed nothing but a “green valley” ahead, but I have learnt that you should never trust the GPS. Just as it looked like we were right at the point where we’d pick up the trail to take us out away from the river we hit the 4th and final river crossing for the day.

This was actually a double crossing, but the first part was trivial compared to the main part of the river. This one was a lot wider with a few deep holes to negotiate. This would be fun.

Before we could figure out who got to be the crash test dummy for this one Phil just rode straight across – like that told us anything useful other than he’d have the camera ready from the other side

My turn, same strategy as before – just keep the power on and get across the river – it doesn’t need to look pretty – and it certainly wasn’t. I almost made it clean out the other side before high centering the bike on a boulder within the last 10 feet or so. Still, with the carful application of a bit of brute force and the fact that I can walk the bike whilst still sitting on it when needed, I managed to escape – damp but not wet.

Nearly made it….

Last but not least it was David’s turn. After getting a picture of the snake that I had apparently nearly run over he hit the river as before – more power.

…..maybe it’s me, but those boots are just so white

It had started well but this one was a lot wider than the others and by half way across he’d stopped in a hole and had to walk the bike out from there….(anyone spotted the pattern yet??)

After clearing the river the ride out to Hwy 123 was easy, but by now we were running out of time to ride any more trails and still have enough time to make it back up Jasper before the Ozark café closed. With dinner on the line we decided to ride straight back up Hwy 123 and 7in to Jasper – we still had all day Sunday to ride after all

So what did we learn today???

1. Phil’s opinion of how hard a river crossing is should not be trusted
2. Phil can’t read or follow a GPS
3. Under no circumstances should anyone listen to me concerning how hard a trail is that I never seen
4. A KTM can get wet – very wet, but it will still keep on running
5. Sometimes, more power is not the answer (……can this really be true?)
6. The XR is too heavy and the suspension needs fixing – damping – what damping? ....oh and the gearing's wrong and the steering sucks - I have a list
7. I never want to ride down that rocky washout again

Next installment….Ozone burger barn, more river crossings, taking a trail that technically doesn’t exist anymore, a miraculous recovery from a potential submarine and the XR takes a nap or how to ride it to the ground in style.

More later….

bigvern screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 11:33 AM
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
ABYSS
KTM

We interrupt the regularly controlled correspondence…..

To insert some optional views and comments; I will use ORANGE LETTERING as it is the only true Kool-Aid color.

5500 was a road just like many others that folks use up there to go home at dirt, gravel and dust. It finally got interesting when we came up to a long sweeping curve in the road to the right and passed a mobile home out all by itself and across the road all the trees had been cut down and it appeared someone had started clearing. That is when the road turned into a “Road Less traveled” it was 2 tenths of a mile beyond that is where the infamous washout hill came into play. We stopped and pulled out our GPS’s and we went back to explore the turn that was that was about 200 yards to where the road “Originally went”. Once we got there it looked ok so we gave it a shot. I enjoyed it as the trail looked like a overgrown jeep trail but there was plenty of room for a ATV so Bikes were not going to be a problem. There was a small stream shortly down this trail and then it began to get a bit narrower.

As Phil scouted ahead Neil and I stood around in the shade waiting patiently where I managed to drop my sunglasses into the muddy tire track pictured below. Fortunately Neil let me know when I dropped them so they werent gone for good. Phil had been gone for about 10 min. so we yelled for him to make sure he didn't fall into a hole or something.

He came back and after a brief discussion majority ruled and we turned around to head back down washout hill.

So off we went and when we got to the entrance of where the hill started to say the phrase “looks can be deceiving” was a slight understatement. The hill itself really wasn't too bad on an incline basis the problems was it was cut out like a giant scoop with rounded edges and only about 6 feet across. To keep it interesting it was definitely a washout area and there were large rocks loose and embedded all the way down so you could not pick a definitive line you could only take a short section at a time. I got to give Neil credit "Phil and I had ridden in tthis kind of terrain several times in Colorado and I wasn't concerned about him." But this was the first time I had ridden bikes with Neil and wasn't familiar with his comfort level. The guy handled it like a true champ, he took his time picked lines and although I could swear I could see the vinyl on his seat puckering sometimes he did a great job navigating saftley down. Once at the bottom we all quickly decided that no matter what was ahead under no circumstances will be going to attempt to go back up that hill.

As soon as we got to the base of the hill according to the navigator "Neil" we were about to enter a "LUSH GREEN VALLEY" before we were originally going to make a right on 1409 and head back to 21 due to the time of day and not quite sure what the terrain was going to be ahead of us. However even though we were supposed to be able to turn right there was no road, no semblance of a road, no game trail not even so much as an opening in the woods to the right. Soooo I guess we go this way. Like it was said previously we had determined that since Phil is the most experienced rider he was going to be the water crossing guinea pig whether he liked it or not because once again majority ruled

The first crossing that you see here is the actual first "water crossing" that we did that was not low water cement bridge. This was our first official stream crossing. When we got there we all parked bikes and look just for a second and then Phil headed across. And this is where the deception began. Phil gets over to the other side and Neil and I look down for a moment and since I have been riding Tailgunner, Neil was going to go second. We look up and Phil is off his bike waving us across smiling ear to ear just happy as can be never saying a word or giving us any inkling of what is about to happen.

Neil starts off following pretty close to the same line Phil was on however he was slightly to the left closer to the waterfall. He had control of the bike and was doing everything right however our slimy little stream decided that even though Neil was demonstrating good riding practices it would make things interesting for him. The next thing you know Neil is stopped and his frontnend is moving towards the waterfall on the left. The water on the other side of that ever so tiny falls was about 3 1/2 feet deep. Neil is a tall guy and he's riding a big heavy motorcycle. Fortunately Neil got the bike stopped and redirected the wheel so he was heading back towards the shore on the other side. The rest of this crossing for him was uneventful.

Now comes the fun part please keep in mind that my last dirt bike was 400 pounds and had 100 hp with the exception of altitude over 9000 feet I basically could drive over any damn thing I please like a John Deere D8 dozer without even blinking. I never had to lean back on the bike to navigate over something. And here in itself is where my mistake started. I went from a 400 pound monster to a 240 pound jaguar. When I saw what had happened to Neil I immediately decided to go away right because I knew my bike was a lot lighter than his and if it pushed his that easily as slow as he is going it would push me even more. So I started heading West and ”little slimy” had plenty of tricks up its sleeve as even farther west was a solid sheet of green. By then it was too late for me to do anything and all I could do was hold on. The back and started coming around so I stepped off the bike and grabbed the handle bars but due to the wonderful slippery bottom my foothold was not very stable and I ratcheted up the throttle which just helped the bike walk 360° around me. I reached down and hit the kill switch and shut the bike off and stood up. The water there was only about 8 or 10 inches deep and with the bike stopped I was able to catch it before it laid all the way over. The only thing that really got wet was the very end of the bar guard and an inch or two of the clutch lever. What cracks me up is I was hoping that they got a picture of it but can you believe it to guys staring at me with cameras in their hands could manage to take one shot. The only thing I can figure is that they were laughing so hard they forgot they had cameras. I got the bike upright and back to the opposing side since by the time I got it up the backend was pushed another 180° around yet again. So I remounted and made my second attempt ( for the record I was not dry, my feet had received their first of several spa treatments yet to happen) and split the difference between Neil’s track and mine and made it across the bike was loving it I was just a bit soggier than I was when I first arrived.

After that I decided to take a break and take off the boots and put the fish back in the stream. We sat there for a few minutes and then we headed back out. At this point of our trip everybody was kind of avoiding mud puddles along the trail but I no longer cared. I drove through every puddle that I could find because I was already soggy and I figured I might as well enjoy myself.

The next few stream crossing that day I decided to go first because I was the one that was already drenched and really didn't care too much that point. Looks easy enough right, Aww what the hell Im gona hit it hard and fast and see what happens!

When we came to the big crossing I was tired from my previous swimming events and was all but too happy to let Phil take the lead. He did it with his usual flair and panache and as usual had no issues what so ever. As I watched Neil drive away I saw our Little snake friend raises head right where Neil's back tire was sitting so I took a few pictures of him.

Yes I will admit that I was utilizing the ”more power” theory, I didnt have to push them all.

A down stream photo op..

It wasnt until we were eating dinner I realized I was making one catastrophic mistake. On my 950SE it had enough power to lift the front end without any effort whatsoever. While I love my new bike even more than my SUPERENDURO I needed to reset my mind to ride on a light bike again. I finally remembered that and on the follwing days I did it with POWER and LEANING back a bit more and had no issue.

Note to EVERYONE: anyone that rides with “bigVern” if you are letting him lead and he says you are about to enter a “Lush Green Valley” put on a swimsuit and get out a life jacket.

ABYSS screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 05:31 AM
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #27
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

Oddometer: 53
Seems like such fun!

And your writing of the ride report is entertaining thanks!

I really need to know what type of headlight that is David's KTM! Looks quite cool!
Some sort of LED headlight or what?
Must have one of those....

'92 Honda XR600R
Rocket_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
bigvern OP

Sunday: Part 1 - Ozone for lunch….

The plan for the morning was to ride down to Ozone for lunch and after checking the maps over breakfast we came up with…

- Jasper to Parthanon to Wayton and then down in to the Murray valley via County Rd 95.
- From Murray take Daniel Ridge Rd to Hwy 16
- From Hwy 16 take County Rd 26 down to Hwy 21 just north of Ozone
- …then lunch

The only reason to head down to Wayton was so that we could ride down County Rd 95 – It’s a fun road, not too long and it takes you right in to Murray where we could pick up Daniel Ridge Rd and head south from there.

Stopped for a quick photo op about halfway down County Rd 95…..

….and as we seemed to have a habit of taking the wrong trail we stopped at the low water bridge over the Little Buffalo River in Murray to double check the route.

...and will you just look at those boots, they're actually brighter than the rest of his orange ensemble

Still, it’s a nice spot and as river crossings go, this one was very dry.

For others planning a ride in this area I’ll add a note on caution on the water levels…….

I’d actually been up here a couple of weeks earlier over Spring Break with my family and this particular crossing was 1 to 2 feet under water. Considering how deep the crossings had been the previous day, I think we got lucky. If there had been another 1-2 feet of water I think we would’ve had problems.

So if you’re going to plan a ride around here - caveat emptor…..

Either that or make sure you’re prepared – although this might be a little extreme for Arkansas

I’d heard of this but never seen the picture until now – WTF ?????

Anyway, despite the fact we double checked the map, within 2 minutes of leaving here I had missed the trail we wanted and instead continued straight over another low water bridge and up a pretty steep climb out on the far side all the way to a dead end.

All I can offer in my defense is, it was a nice day, I was enjoying the ride, I thought the wheels needed a quick clean in the river, I can’t follow my own GPS and I really should learn to pay more attention…..hey what’s that over there oooooo shiny

Either way you’d think between the 3 of us we wouldn’t get lost as often as we did, but again you’d be wrong. Now when I say lost, we were never really “lost” – just not where we should have been or even where we thought we were.

Still it was a fun little ride / detour to get us started and it didn’t take long to back track and find the “right” trail. Finally headed in the “right” direction…..

Daniel Ridge Rd (once we were finally on it) was a great ride down to Hwy 16. Once you leave the river it’s just one long climb out from the river and maybe just about wide enough for a pickup with a few switch backs thrown in to make sure you’re paying attention

We made pretty good time and finally pulled in at the Ozone Burger Barn….

Today I was not going to swayed by any specials, the collective wisdom was that the burgers here were fantastic and who was I to argue.

Gratuitous shot of my bacon cheeseburger………….and yes it was good - definitely a top 5 burger.

I’m hungry just looking at this…….

Phil was also with the program today, but for some reason David went with the catfish. He said it was amazing, but compared with the burger I’m not so sure.

Lunch was great and the Burger Barn is a great place to hang out for a while, but we had a plan for the afternoon to hit Big Piney Creek, so after getting some gas we ended up at the one lane bridge and the start of the trail in.....

Next Installment…. how much trouble can we get in to along Big Piney Creek and how you’re really supposed to ride across a river

More later…..

bigvern screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 04:45 PM
Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #29
bigvern OP

White Boots....

So it appears that maybe it is just me that has a problem with white boots.......surely this can't be true

Never the less over the weekend, in some futile attempt to justify his choice in boot colour, Phil was very insistent that I take a look at latest edition of Dirt Rider magazine........and to my horror almost every picture has a rider wearing these bloody awful white boots.

So what can we conclude from this....

1. It really is just me (doubtful)
2. We've all gone back to the 1970's and I'm the last to realize
3. White boots really are the new black and Phil is (despite appearances) a slave to fashion

Given the evidence and the fact that he hasn't bothered to defend himself or offer any other kind of plausible excuse, I must conclude that Phil is nothing more than a closet fashionista - who knew

Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
ABYSS
KTM

500 XCW setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Rookie View Post
Seems like such fun!

And your writing of the ride report is entertaining thanks!

I really need to know what type of headlight that is David's KTM! Looks quite cool!
Some sort of LED headlight or what?
Must have one of those....
The lites are from Rigid Industries They are here I used One COMBO and ONE flood. I mounted them to a 8x8 .125 aluminum plate using the KTM numberplate spacers up top and a single peice of 2 in aluminum angle on the bottom for mounting.

Several guys have other soluitions in place using square or circular lights ( I even tried the square ones too) and while they are happy with the end result I wanted much more of a radial view on my site line. Spreading the LED's along a Horizontal plain greatly inproved efficiancy on the latitudinal lit surface area. These things only draw 1.4 amps each and with both of them on, I trulyfully think there isnt anything I can see threw weather wise. These lights never even get warm and have a lifetime warranty.

Granted it isnt as visually appealing as what some of the other inmates are developing and seiling but it is EXACTALLY what I wanted. I killed the factory wiring and utilized the included harness just shortened it drastically. PLUS I used a small peice of angle on the bottom for the horn to get it out of the way.

For me the end result is Very Bright, Very Simple, Very Clean and VERY Durable!

TXDOT accepts them as sreet legal as long and they are within the lumen range for headlights. Which they are 'barely"

ABYSS screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 07:35 AM