s_gogos OP
...vespoholic!!!

Oddometer: 85
Laugh Around the world on a Vespa

- The route -

That's me...

- About me -

Hello folks!
My name is Stergios, I'm from Greece and on October 27th 2013 I started traveling around the world (I hope) on my tiny Vespa PX200 scooter.
I was born in 1987 and I've spent 2 years studying to be a car / motorcycle mechanic, in my hometown Thessaloniki. For the last few years I had been working as a waiter in cafes and restaurants. To tell you the truth, that had been my occupation for more than the last few years due the crisis, but I really liked my job!

- The decision -

I guess you are interested in learning why I decided to travel on my Vespa…Ok, I’ll tell you! I was a bit tired staying in Greece doing nothing but drinking “frappe” coffee on the beach. I always had in mind doing a big journey, something crazy that would take me away from the Greek miserable reality. From the moment I first rode my Vespa, I knew that something had changed in me. My first trips were in Europe and I always managed to make it somehow: I was working, so every summer, I could have some savings and some free time. But gradually, things became more difficult: I was still working but I couldn't manage to have neither enough savings, nor enough free time! The “best” thing happened to me in 2012 when my salary at the pizzeria I was working that time, miraculously decreased at 210 euros per month! Additionally to that, the relations between me and my friends changed because we found out that the way we think about life is completely different and we couldn't communicate anymore (I can’t stand hearing the phrase: “Praise God that you can at least have that few money and do not complain about anything…”). But the worst thing was the gold mines in my home town…the Greek government decided without asking or at least discussing about it first, to sell at ridiculously low prices the public land around my hometown (Skouries, Halkidiki) to a mining industry, without taking into account the people or the huge environmental problems that this “investment” would cause. Suddenly, everything in my life was a mess, so I took the decision to go! The original plan wasn’t to be by myself, Giorgos and Thanos, two friends of mine would also follow. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons Giorgos never started the journey and Thanos abandoned it after some time. The day we started to plan the trip, we had about 20 euros in our pockets but we were really lucky! Not only did I manage to make some money by selling almost everything I had (my bicycle and my other small motorcycle, my previous cell phone, etc…), but just before we left, I also took back some money owed to me from long ago! That was it: on the 27th of October 2013, I was on my Vespa beginning my big adventure and riding towards Africa!

- The vehicle -

I have a 2003 Vespa PX200, 2 stroke engine, one cylinder, air-cooled, 200 cc’s. I bought it second hand on 2006 for 1,500€ just to go to my work and back home without waiting for hours in the traffic, but after the first rides outside the city I got really addicted in traveling. Once I got on my Vespa I felt the ultimate freedom that only a motorcycle can offer. The funny thing is that before I bought the Vespa I used to “hate” motorcycles!
The bike had around 71,500 miles on the clock before the start of this trip, and it had traveled in several road conditions such as snow, dirt and tar roads, and also on tracks doing some racing. My Vespa had never broken down and every single component was working properly so I never had to put a hand inside the engine. The only thing I have been doing until today, is to change the oil, the spark plug, clean the air filter and go! That's why I love 2 strokes. Simple engine, simple to maintain, simple to fix.

That's my Vespa PX200

- The plan -

The plan is simply to travel all around the world! One day I’ll be back home. But I don't know when. My plan isn't to migrate, it’s to travel. Our “nice” Prime Minister (Antonis Samaras, EX-PRIME MINISTER as from the 25th of January!!!), by following all these policies of austerity, offered me the chance to travel, so I grabbed it! During the last 11 months of preparing the journey I sometimes felt worried (I almost canceled it a few days before I go) because trying to survive in Greece started to seem more adventurous than traveling around the world! I don’t know exactly when I will return. It depends on my budget (the thinner my wallet gets, the closer I’ll be to Greece) and on my personal goals. If I don’t feel fulfilled by my journey anymore, I’ll stop it. Until this moment, my journey is the most powerful experience I’ve ever had!

- Budget -

People are asking me how do I finance my trip and where do I find the money to pay for my accommodation, the petrol and the food that I need. Many of them think that in order to do such a big trip you need to be a millionaire. Big mistake! Not only I’m not a millionaire but at the time I took the decision to start this adventure I was actually unemployed, with literally no money in my pockets. So how is it possible?
*First of all, I sold all the small and unnecessary things I had (a bicycle, my old mobile phone, some motorcycle cloths and accessories and another motorcycle I had – a 2001 Aprilia rs250). Then I was very lucky and I finally took a scholarship from my technical school after a five years delay (!) and some money as severance pay, all thanks to my beloved government. But the most important of all is that I try to keep all of my expenses in a very low level! Usually, I prefer to sleep in my tent, I always travel in low speeds so that my scooter consumes less petrol (the average fuel consumption is around 3.3L/100km or 71 US MPG) , I try to have only the absolutely necessary things with me and be as lightweight as possible (I’m not the best in this part but I’m working on it!) and most of the time, I cook my own food on a petrol stove avoiding all the fancy restaurants. So all the money that I spent and all of my expenses for the first 438 days I had been traveling through Africa were 5,491€ in total or 12.53€ per day! I'm going to upload all my expenses in detail soon...

- These are my favorite photos until now -

*shot by Thanos Kirgiannis, my co-traveler at that moment

*shot by Francis Cadin, my co-traveler at that moment

- And here are some videos -

Euharisto!!!

s_gogos screwed with this post 03-15-2015 at 02:23 PM Reason: wrong link
s_gogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Great Start !!!!!!

I lived in West Africa in the 70's.....Great people !!!!!

Looking forward to more....Alan
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
s_gogos OP
...vespoholic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty44 View Post
Great Start !!!!!!

I lived in West Africa in the 70's.....Great people !!!!!

Looking forward to more....Alan
Thanks!!
People in West Africa are really great, indeed!!
I' ve got the best memories from there!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
drag123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Nice trip so far Stergios. Are you planning to Come to Canada if you do you have a place to stay and a Garage with tools for your vespa.

Kalo taxidi
drag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
armadilloathens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Μπράβο καρντασι τρελλανε τους ολους
armadilloathens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
wOOw such dedication....! Your photography is simply BRILLIANT....!

Best wishes;
Peter
Central Scotland

Frank Zappa

ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
s_gogos OP
...vespoholic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag123 View Post
Nice trip so far Stergios. Are you planning to Come to Canada if you do you have a place to stay and a Garage with tools for your vespa.

Kalo taxidi
Thank you very much for your comment and for your offer! Yes, Canada is in my plans. I don't know when, but be sure I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadilloathens View Post
Μπράβο καρντασι τρελλανε τους ολους

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmac View Post
wOOw such dedication....! Your photography is simply BRILLIANT....!

Best wishes;
Peter
Central Scotland
Thank you!!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_gogos View Post
Euharisto!!!
Parakalo!! :)

One of the most inspiring ride reports that I ever read. Keep it up!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,273
wow.
unbelievable photos.
much appreciated.

yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 AM   #10
motolover
rookie

Oddometer: 14
I had a Vespa like this one from 82 till 2000. Clocked 100.000km on it and all that was done was every year spark plug change and oil change. Fantastic bike to travel with, I envy you.
motolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
cristiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Great pictures!

And I love Vespa!
cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #12
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
WOW! What a journey,I'll be following along,super pics
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Thumb Holly Batman

You are Mad........
I like it
Great photos, thanks for sharing your cRaZy Adventure
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #14
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,755
Simply amazing. I look forward to more!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #15
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Great photos - cold beer and tools when you get this far Stergios.
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote