ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #391
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
decisions, decisions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeasy View Post
Actually both are proper Husquvarna's (pre BMW motors)

The-510 is motocross bike with blinkers, approx 260 lbs, close ratio transmission that is great in the trails. Much more power than my-630. The down side of this bike is the engine does not have a balance shaft and is quite buzzy. Great bike for the likes of the GLDS rides. Had to put a aftermarket gas tank on it to get above the factory 70 Mile range

The -630 is the last of this bike series from Husqvarnar it, has been replaced by the Terra -650 (BMW Motor). I really like the -630, approx 310 lbs wide ratio transmission that is better for back roads/true dual sport rides on the dirt roads west of Northville. The new TR-650 gained about 80 lbs, went to a 5 speed gearbox, and has less suspension travel than the -630. Only good point is that it gets better fuel economy. Between the bike and the way I ride, I get around 40 MPG on the -630.

Long term I think it will be good thing, to compete with KTM. I like what they did with Nuda, that we do not get here in the US.

In summary no perfect bike that is why we need a few
This is helpful to me as I search for the right bike for "GLDS rides". My TW200 is too anemic for my 215 lb. lard-ass, my 1200GS is too heavy. I really like the Husqvarnas - great looking, light weight, fuel injection (I'm guessing this will make starting easier). Looking at the specs, the TE310 or TE449 may be the right fit for me. I don't need the power of a motocross bike (I'm slow, but steady in the single-track), but I do need the blinkers.

Anyone got any insight on the relative power capability between the 310 and 449? The weight is about the same. I expect I'll need to add fuel capacity in one way or another. I'd also like some sort of rear rack.

Of course, the DRZ400 is also a very solid choice. There are many for sale and add-on parts are everywhere. Do you think the extra 45 lbs. over a TE is an issue?

decisions...decisions!

PS - I hope to grab a tag sometime this weekend as well!!! Maybe I'll sneak out at lunch tomorrow...
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #392
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Decisions

I think the 449/511 would be a better back roads/DS bike. The 310 as I understand has a very close ratio gearbox and at around 65 they are turning incredibel RPM's. On my 510 I went from a 13 tooth C/S gear to 15 teeth. This slowed down the enigne at higher road speeeds and helped make the bike a bit more sedate for my skill level. I would check out the subframe of each to see what limited load you can put on the back in the way of a tail bag.

Check out the following link for lots more information and countless opinions

http://www.cafehusky.com/

the 310/449/511 topic will be found under the four stroke section, there is now forum for the TR-650 (BMW Motor)

Paul
Husky TE-510
Stumpjumper Carbon 29'r PRO

proeasy screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 03:20 AM
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #393
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Go see the Girls

I call your Harris house:

And raise you some Warren nuns.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #394
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
Locked Out

Well----

I don't have a picture of the striking building posted by Mr. Smallberries. This pic shows why. When this destination loomed out of the fog at 7:30 this morning there was a gate in my way, so I just took a picture of the gate. Being the gentleman that he is, I am sure Mr. Smallberries will vouch for the fact that this is the entrance to the Dominican Sisters of Mary campus on Warren Rd. just west of Dixboro.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #395
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Livestock

I sheepishly offer this tag. Shot on a sunnier day right across the street from the Lodi town hall.

THE SCORPION
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #396
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT SCORPION View Post
Well----

I don't have a picture of the striking building posted by Mr. Smallberries. This pic shows why. When this destination loomed out of the fog at 7:30 this morning there was a gate in my way, so I just took a picture of the gate. Being the gentleman that he is, I am sure Mr. Smallberries will vouch for the fact that this is the entrance to the Dominican Sisters of Mary campus on Warren Rd. just west of Dixboro.

THE SCORPION
Man you are up and out way way way too early

I was looking forward to a run down Warren rd this afternoon.... guess I'lll have to double check your tag
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #397
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Convent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT SCORPION View Post
Well----

THE SCORPION
That's the place! On the satellite map, you can see a cool abandoned building on their property. That was my original target, but I was stopped by a similar gate. I think Tom Monaghan owns all of this land.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #398
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Sheep to Vipers

The sheep were in the barn when I got there:

Also: Scorpion was tricky with the old (e.g. un-Googleable) Lodi Town Hall. Good job!

Next, I went looking for Vipers. I did cheat as my photo op came shortly after my northbound dirt road turned to asphalt.

Next week looks good for a few more outings.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #399
FireMedicATL
Supafly White Guy

Oddometer: 279
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
This is helpful to me as I search for the right bike for "GLDS rides". My TW200 is too anemic for my 215 lb. lard-ass, my 1200GS is too heavy. I really like the Husqvarnas - great looking, light weight, fuel injection (I'm guessing this will make starting easier). Looking at the specs, the TE310 or TE449 may be the right fit for me. I don't need the power of a motocross bike (I'm slow, but steady in the single-track), but I do need the blinkers.
It sounds that your TW200 is a bad fit for you. They are junk.

Want to sell it?
FireMedicATL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #400
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedicATL View Post
It sounds that your TW200 is a bad fit for you. They are junk.

Want to sell it?
Hmmm...... Actually, I think I will trade my CRF230 for a used DRZ400 I found out in Howell. I love the little TW as it matches my skill level on the single-track. It's like a two-wheel tractor. It just won't keep up with the big boys on any 50+ mph highway stints. When I ride with my son, he complains that the CRF230 is just too small for his 6' frame. So - I think I'll keep the TW and have the DRZ400 do double-duty as his single-track bike and my 'GLDS' ride. If I find a good used TE449, I may change the plan again.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #401
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Great tagging guys!!
The tw is fantastic. My partner rode one on the michigan six days asthe support vehicle to my vintage husky.
If you want the best most supported most fommon bike get a ktm.
Just my two cents: Up norh everyone, amd I mean everyone, has a ktm. Next most common are kdxs.
So at the fall colortour, my partner with the tw200, he traded it for a ktm xcfw250. Same as me. Xcfw 250. Anyway he broke a brake pedal during a BOTANICAL. We were able to borrow someone elses pedal AND there was even another pedal for sale at a parts trailer.

Trust me, I was so on the verge of a gas gas, and I always love the offbrand , but I wanted to do more actual riding...and not run out of gas. And ps im 40 years old now...itreated myself to an elextric start. After you crash a vintage husky on a hot day and flood it and kick about 200 times
Youll get an electric
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #402
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Dreaming of a White Christmas

THE SCORPION
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #403
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Nice!!! Are any of you guys studding up?

So I've also lost track of the tag. What is it now?
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #404
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Not stud material!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer's trails View Post
Nice!!! Are any of you guys studding up?

So I've also lost track of the tag. What is it now?
No studs for me...I'll wait for a stretch of a few sunny days to dry off the roads. The hardest part is always getting out of my subdivision.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #405
r756
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I think the current tag is gate #2.
r756 is offline   Reply With Quote