Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #151
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8W7 View Post
Locally its the other way around for some odd reason, but not by enough to matter. KLR: $6800.... DRZ: $7200

Oh shit, honestly that sucks. Been awhile since I looked but they could have always been that high. Save money for a bigger tank and better seat is my only advice. I give that seat advice no matter the brand too.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #152
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Oddometer: 68
The DRZ seat is definitely like a 2x4, but I actually liked the KLR seat. I have a propensity to fix what ain't broken, so I'll be changing the seat regardless.

Keep in mind that the prices I quoted are in Canadian dollars. Even when our dollar is stronger than the American, things are still more expensive here... they always have been. I'm willing to travel to get a better deal, so long as the costs of doing so don't put me over what I'd be paying local.

S8W7 screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 11:04 AM
S8W7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #153
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,800
The final answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zibj7...feature=relmfu
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #154
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
BAAAA HAAAAA
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #155
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Locally its the other way around for some odd reason, but not by enough to matter. KLR: $6800.... DRZ: $7200
Yup, the DR-Z is a newer-tech bike (liquid-cooled, adjustable suspension dampening, digital dash, functional brakes, better volumetric efficiency, 18" rr rim, etc.) than either the DR650SE or KLR650, so it commands a higher MSRP. The DR-Z also carries it's weight up fairly high, especially if you put on handguards, tailrack, and a bigger tank.

For just plonking along offroad, a low seat height and carriage of weight is likely going to be more important than saving a few pounds. A stock DR650SE seat height, in the high suspension position, is lower than either a stock KLR or DR-Z. It's even lower than many 250cc dualsports. In the low position, it's as low as many streetbikes, and not as wide. Get/Make a shaved seat to lower 1-2" more there, then raise the forks in the clamps and install some lowering links. A 30" seat height on a DR650 isn't unheard of, and could be easily managed by someone with much less inseam. I have a 30" inseam and the unlowered 34.8" seat height is perfectly manageable for me with the springs and sag adjusted for my weight. I can easily put my left foot down flat while the right foot is on the rear brake. To get on or off, I stand on the left peg and swing my right knee over, with the bike leaned on the sturdy sidestand.

If you want a lower-seat dualsport, you're probably looking at vintage/scramblers, or detuned 250s and smaller. A low and light XT225 or TW200 could be easier for your GF to handle when she needs to get a foot down, but it's not going to burn miles as comfortably as something like a heavier, smoother-at-speed, and more powerful DR650, KLR650, WR250R/X, or even a KLR250, or Super Sherpa 250. The DR can be made comfortable for fairly tall as well as fairly short people. It'll also haul a LOT of stuff, in a pinch.

Having 2 bikes of the same type is nice on a long journey too. You only have to carry 1 set of tools and 1 manual.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #156
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

The Suzuki salesperson told me the DRZ400 was shorter. Ugh.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #157
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
As far as I know, the DR 650 has a lower seat height than the DRZ400.

When I was in the market for a DS I considered the Honda XR650L, KLR, and the DR650. I pretty much limited myslef to the 650 class because I knew most (as in 75%) of the riding would be on pavement. We don't have a lot of off-road opportunities in the immediate area so riding long distance on the highway or trailering is a must...thus I was not really interested in something smaller (engine wise) like the DRZ400 even though I knew the DRZ is a better off-road bike.

So what it really boiled down to for me between these 3 was seat height as I'm only 5'7" with a 29.5" inseam. I think the seat height on the KLR is maybe a half inch taller than the DR and the XR is about an inch taller. Although the KLR is more road biased with the protection it is heavier than the DR so I opted for the DR and the lower weight and I love it.

A DRZ would be a lot of fun too but seat height was too tall to feel really comfortable. On the DR I can tippy toe both feet or flat foot my left foot with right foot on the peg/brake pedal.

Seriously don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes your considering.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #158
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
As far as I know, the DR 650 has a lower seat height than the DRZ400.

When I was in the market for a DS I considered the Honda XR650L, KLR, and the DR650. I pretty much limited myslef to the 650 class because I knew most (as in 75%) of the riding would be on pavement. We don't have a lot of off-road opportunities in the immediate area so riding long distance on the highway or trailering is a must...thus I was not really interested in something smaller (engine wise) like the DRZ400 even though I knew the DRZ is a better off-road bike.

So what it really boiled down to for me between these 3 was seat height as I'm only 5'7" with a 29.5" inseam. I think the seat height on the KLR and DR is close whereas the XR is about an inch taller. Although the KLR is more road biased with the protection it is heavier than the DR so I opted for the DR and the lower weight and I love it.

A DRZ would be a lot of fun too but seat height was too tall to feel really comfortable. On the DR I can tippy toe both feet or flat foot my left foot with right foot on the peg/brake pedal.

Seriously don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes your considering.

After getting some seat time on all of them, I know that *I* would not have any issue riding any one of these bikes and enjoying the heck out of it. My secondary requirement, which is really the big one because it's the lady we're talking about, is getting a bike that she'll fit. She only got to sit on the DRZ and it was much lower than the KLR. I think I'll go back with her for a sit down on the DR650 and see how she feels.

She was totally uncomfortable not being able to at least tip toe on any bikes so far. If she can at least tip toe a stock DR650, we'll be in business. If not, then I'll have to sit down with her and see which one she'd be more comfortable with after we lower it a little.

The best deal so far was for the KLR's, but it's way too much bike for her.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #159
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Salespeople usually don't know squat compared to a buyer who has been researching. This is especially true about models they don't usually deal with frequently, like dualsports in trail-scarce areas. If they do know much at all, they may also have reasons to not be fully truthful. If you find a knowledgeable salesperson who isn't full of BS, be sure to get a business card from them.

One can just LOOK at the 2 bikes side-by-side and tell that the DR-Z has a taller seat. Sit on them though, with the soft stock springs and the preload not adjusted properly, and they might sag to be pretty similar.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #160
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
After getting some seat time on all of them, I know that *I* would not have any issue riding any one of these bikes and enjoying the heck out of it. My secondary requirement, which is really the big one because it's the lady we're talking about, is getting a bike that she'll fit. She only got to sit on the DRZ and it was much lower than the KLR. I think I'll go back with her for a sit down on the DR650 and see how she feels.

She was totally uncomfortable not being able to at least tip toe on any bikes so far. If she can at least tip toe a stock DR650, we'll be in business. If not, then I'll have to sit down with her and see which one she'd be more comfortable with after we lower it a little.

The best deal so far was for the KLR's, but it's way too much bike for her.
Find a dealer with a DR in the low position. Then imagine it with 1"-2" shaved off the seat. Then imagine it with lowering links and the forks raised in the clamps.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #161
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Find a dealer with a DR in the low position. Then imagine it with 1"-2" shaved off the seat. Then imagine it with lowering links and the forks raised in the clamps.
There is only one deal within two hours of here.

The Kawasaki dealer was super knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, cut me an awesome deal, and is even a member here and active adventure rider. It's too bad that the KLR really isn't the best fit for the lady, otherwise I would have bought two!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #162
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Kommando...can you tell me what the "low position" is on the DR.

When I bought mine (used) the seller said the dealer had "lowered" it for him (we are about the same height) but it dosen't have any lowering links and the forks aren't raised in the trees. I asked him what he ment by the dealer lowering it and all he could tell me was he "adjusted" the rear spring which I assumed he ment he just lowed the pre-load so it "sags" more with rider weight.

Is there something other than adjusting the pre-load that can lower or raise the DR without using lowering links?

My limited experience with "lowered bikes" is they don't ride near as nice as non-lowered and I want to make sure mine hasn't been "lowered".
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #163
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

I just double-checked the Suzuki website and here are the specs for seat heights and (weight):

DR 650SE: 33" to 34.8" (366 lb)

DRZ 400S: 36.8" (317 lb)

The DR 650SE is looking like the clear winner for the lady. She sat on a 600lb Harley and loved it, so I'm going to tell her to suck it up if she whines about a 366 lb DR!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #164
Bentebent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
The DR and KLR sure seems to be the most popular stuff around the in States. We don't seem to have the newer models here in Sweden (I didn't even know they make the DR anymore ) so they're hardly ever mentioned when the topic of dual sports is raised. I'm looking for a DS myself (or rather, something that could take a Sweden - Sri Lanka trip) but I'm looking more in the direction of the XR650R and KTM 625 SXC (-05 and up) rather than the KLR and DR. The DRZ seems interesting too though.
Bentebent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #165
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,809
WR250R
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote