User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
White Rim trail in early May?

Anyone interested in riding the White Rim trail in Canyonlands Natl. Park near Moab, UT? I am thinking about sometime the 1st 2 weeks of May.
I would plan on camping at least one night.

I ride a 2008 KLR

Thanks,
Lee
Colorado_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,110
First of all, welcome to ADV! I, too, ride an 08 KLR, and might be interested. Do you have a backcountry permit and reservations for camping on the White Rim?
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

No permit yet

I am waiting to see if I can get someone else to ride with me. If you are interested great! Let's see if we can work out some dates, preferably weekdays.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,751
White Rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Lee View Post
Anyone interested in riding the White Rim trail in Canyonlands Natl. Park near Moab, UT? I am thinking about sometime the 1st 2 weeks of May.
I would plan on camping at least one night.

I ride a 2008 KLR

Thanks,
Lee
Hi Lee,

I've always told people if they only ride one trail around Moab---ride the white rim.

I wasn't sure from your post if you knew the trail is easily ridden in one day----even if you got a late start and poked along. Man is it pretty.

I honestly don't know about camping on it------and never knew anybody that did as it's such a short run----but it would be beautiful to do that if you can.

If your worried about riding it alone---don't be----there will be plenty of people on it----it's not like if you got hurt no one would come along for days.
It's very popular. Most of it is very easy on a KLR.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 402
Hey Lee,

I just rode the White Rim two weeks ago. It was a blast. I think it is best to do it in a day and follow it up with some other rides around Moab. The Kokopelli trail is next on the list for me.

Are you Gagner's buddy?
Graniteone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

White RIM in a day

Okay,

Looks like I would do it in a day. Thanks for all the info. Still looking for someone to ride with. And no I don't know Gagner..
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
I was thinking about taking a 3-day weekend and riding the WRT. My plan was to take a day to get down there (from Heber City), camp around Mineral Cyn Rd or somewhere around there, then ride the WRT the next day. I wanted to do it counterclockwise because I've never done it in that direction. Camp that night somewhere, then head home the next day. But you said weekdays? I'm pretty flexible. Maybe we could meet? The first two weeks of May would fit between the road bike trips I have planned with the wife. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
mcmarcia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Thumb white rim

I would be interested. I live in moab and have been waiting to get my wr plated (done) so I can ride the white rim. It is best for a one day as it takes months to get the permit for the camping. No permits needed for the day trip, just have to have plated/insured bikes. I have done it a few times years ago by mtn bike. Great views, not very hard, so fast going except for the many view stops/snacks/pics, thinking about 8-10 hours for a casual laid back trip. I will probably do it next week before it gets real hot. Can easily be in the 90's by may, but hopefully we will keep getting some pacific fronts coming our way for rain and cooler weather. Great riding and camping everywhere. I did a 45 mile DS ride yesterday, great weather/views.

Current flock: GS1100, R1150R, KTM450MXC, G650GS. Flown away: GSPD, yam 250 & 450WR
mcmarcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

Lets make a plan!

I am available any time between 4/26 and 5/7. Would be trailering my KLR from central CO. Camp on Potash rd or Mineral Bottom the night before the ride and head back the night after.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
The best for me would be to meet Thurs or Fri, May 3 or 4. I'll be on a road bike trip with the Mrs the weekend before.

I guess you'll be leaving a trailer in camp and circling around back there?

Last time I was on the white rim was 2002 but it was in a truck supporting a mtn bike trip. I tried to do it one day last November when we were riding in the white wash area but got rained out. So I'm excited. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Jeff Randall
Moto Photo 1

Oddometer: 1
In Moab 10-12 May

I am planning on riding White Rim from 10 -12 May. I also have an 08 KLR. Unfortunately those are the only days I could block in my schedule. I will be riding from Cheyenne, Wy
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
I just rode this last Sunday. Took me about 6 hours or so from and back to Moab. I also stopped to take a lot of pictures. I went in through Long Canyon and rode (road?) counter clockwise. There are a couple of tricky spots, (Murphy area and Hardscrabble) depending on your tires, gearing and load. I packed gas due to my 3.4 gal tank, but did not need it. I think it was 153 miles total from and back to my hotel.
Also, if you do Long canyon there are a couple of rock spots that are tricky. I was riding solo and walked the bike up one of them. The jeeps had dug out the holes a fair amount. FYI Long canyon doesn't have a sign, it is marked Jug Handle arch.
Start as early as you can and you will see almost no one else.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

RE: White Rim May 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I was thinking about taking a 3-day weekend and riding the WRT. My plan was to take a day to get down there (from Heber City), camp around Mineral Cyn Rd or somewhere around there, then ride the WRT the next day. I wanted to do it counterclockwise because I've never done it in that direction. Camp that night somewhere, then head home the next day. But you said weekdays? I'm pretty flexible. Maybe we could meet? The first two weeks of May would fit between the road bike trips I have planned with the wife. -al
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
The best for me would be to meet Thurs or Fri, May 3 or 4. I'll be on a road bike trip with the Mrs the weekend before.

I guess you'll be leaving a trailer in camp and circling around back there?

Last time I was on the white rim was 2002 but it was in a truck supporting a mtn bike trip. I tried to do it one day last November when we were riding in the white wash area but got rained out. So I'm excited. -al
Al,

Sounds good!

I will send you a PM so we can coordinate better.

-Lee
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
Colorado_Lee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I just rode this last Sunday. Took me about 6 hours or so from and back to Moab. I also stopped to take a lot of pictures. I went in through Long Canyon and rode (road?) counter clockwise. There are a couple of tricky spots, (Murphy area and Hardscrabble) depending on your tires, gearing and load. I packed gas due to my 3.4 gal tank, but did not need it. I think it was 153 miles total from and back to my hotel.
Also, if you do Long canyon there are a couple of rock spots that are tricky. I was riding solo and walked the bike up one of them. The jeeps had dug out the holes a fair amount. FYI Long canyon doesn't have a sign, it is marked Jug Handle arch.
Start as early as you can and you will see almost no one else.
Thanks for the info. BTW what did you ride?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
^ 06 Husky TE610 in Long Canyon