User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Not for Highway Use OP
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 993
Talk to me about WR250R's

Interested in these little go anywheres but never seen one in the flesh.

What are they like on the trails, road etc?

Power fully loaded?

Reliability? (It's a given I s'pose)

Farkles.

Problems?

Any suitable alternatives? WR250F, XT250, New CRF250L..........

Cheers.
NFHU

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,672
look in thumper section ADV

There is a lot of info about them in the thumper section of ADV. A lot of Yanks like them.
If only Yamaha put that gearbox in my WRF290 I would only have one bike. The 6 speed wide ratio gearbox makes it very versatile bike. I assume that the suspension is probably not up to WRF standards (i.e. very good on big hits and supple ove rsmall bumps) but better than trail bike standards ( mushy soft). I know that it is an EFI machine and you can get 15L Safari tanks for them.

I want a 400-450 version pleaseYamaha san.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Not for Highway Use OP
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 993
i'm hearing you on the WR450R.

Waiting, waiting............................

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use View Post

Very good on both, the only critisism i have is the suspension, it is quite soft and the rear shock is crap. I do day trail rides on mine and have spent 2 weeks cruising through the Flinders Ranges.

Power fully loaded?

It will sit on 130kph all day, it aint a KTM990, but with the right pilot they do very well. I got a ton of stick off my mates when i traded a GSA1150 for the little yam, but everyone who has ridden it loves it. One of my mates is a very good rider, a group of us went for a quick blast along the Acheron Way, me on the WR everyone else on KTM 640A's and a TE610. I swapped bikes with my mate on his 640A, we all took off, no one even saw which way he went on the WRR

Here is mine loaded up on the way home from the Flinders.

SD14 SDIM3105 WR250R by rpo83, on Flickr

As reliable as a hammer.

Farkles.

Mine pretty much has them all, if i were to do it again, i don't think i would worry too much about the power programmer and pipe, however with the current exch rate stuff is cheap. I have Easton EXP bars, B&B Bash Plate, Pivot Pegs, Safari Tank, Rad Guard, Gearing, no AIS, modded air box, speedo healer, HID headlight, Eastern Beaver 3CS, Heated Grips.

Problems?

Only the crappy shock, having said that i'm still riding around on the stock suspenders

You will have to ride them, the specs don't tell the story. The ergos and "feel" of the WRR is great, i don't think you can compare the WRF, when i did the Flinders Ride, i went with my Brother In-Law he was on a WR450F, we swapped bikes for a short stint, the 450f had tons more poke, but the gearbox just wasn't suited to long distance travelling. His son has a 250f, unless you are on an endure loop, i think the WRR is better in every way. The only other bike i have directly compared it to is a DRZ400, the WRR felt so much better, the DRZ felt very much like my old XR600's but with less power, the WRR felt nimble and fun in comparison.

Cheers.
NFHU
The best thing to do is get a decent ride on one.

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
FreckledAvenger
Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use View Post

Power fully loaded?

Farkles.

Problems?

My 2011 WR250R just clicked over 21000kms today. Never had a problem with it and am very happy with it. Most of those kilometres were on a long trip last year and was done fully loaded (Giant Loop Great Basin, 35L dry bag and Wolfman Enduro tank bag). With food and water all my gear weighed nearly 40 kilos and I am nearly 100kgs myself. I normally cruised at 95kph but in NT I was regularly sitting on 120kph+ when I had to reach Darwin (from Timber Creek) in a day.

I have a Safari 14L tank on mine along with a Force Radiator Guard and Bashplate, Seat Concepts Custom Seat, Barkbusters, SpeedDRD (speedohealer), 12v outlet and Yamalink (lowered it 2" total - including the stock lowering). The engine, suspension (Yamalink aside) and gearing on mine is stock although most people go down a tooth on the front to compensate for the lack of low end torque ...

I "upgraded" to the WR from an XT250 2009 model. Apart from the XTs better low down torque (well - for a 250 that is), the WR is a better bike in every way. rpo83 may be down on the suspension on the WR but it leaves the XT for dead. But then again at $10K for a WR new it would want to be.

I don't break any records on the WR but at least I can keep up a bit better on the road with my maniac friend on a KLR650. When I told him I was thinking of trading in the XT on a WR, he was adamant that I should go up to a DRZ400S (minimum) but he changed his tune a bit after he took a WR for a test ride. He was surprised with the feel/balance of the bike and its power (for a 250 - he was not about to give up his KLR on this count).
FreckledAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
I think it really depends on which bike you are coming from. I came from 650s so the 250 is really underpowered and REALLY lacks the torque in comparison. I have done a HEAP to mine and the farkles never stop really. Check out my build thread.

To answer your questions:

What are they like on the trails, road etc: Trails - heavy and lacks torque. Road - Light and lacks torque. It is one of those bikes that does the dual thing well, but neither brilliantly.

Power fully loaded? - Never really a problem, you just gotta rev them high and sort out the ratios a bit. Opening up the breathing and exhaust helps a lot.

Reliability? (It's a given I s'pose) - Yup, never a problem, not even a concern in my mind.

Farkles. - HEAPS. Exhausts, big tanks (I run the 20L IMS), all the bling you could ever want.

Problems? - Suspension (I got my totally redone), power -again, exhaust etc helps with that.

So overall, there is not really any other bike out there that I know of that can really perform like it, it is light enough in the tight stuff, hell, I even motocrossed mine! Yet it can comfortably be loaded up and ride day after day on massive adventure rides.

Motocrosser:

Fully loaded adventure rider:

Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
Biridi
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I did APC rally on wrr last year , commute, and trail on weekends. We can talk about more of this or less of that over a beer at night but every time i ride off it doesn't take long for a smile to appear. the little one that can do it all
Biridi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Hey mate,

Are you the guy I met up at Mt Tamborine a year or so ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biridi View Post
I did APC rally on wrr last year , commute, and trail on weekends. We can talk about more of this or less of that over a beer at night but every time i ride off it doesn't take long for a smile to appear. the little one that can do it all
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,605
There are four bikes listed on the 'bay right now - two are 5-speed and two or six-speed. Is this correct - or can only 50% of Yamaha riders count?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
FreckledAvenger
Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
There are four bikes listed on the 'bay right now - two are 5-speed and two or six-speed. Is this correct - or can only 50% of Yamaha riders count?
... and one of those is a "Side Car" apparently too ...

Item specifics - Motorcycles
Condition:
Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of ... Read more
Manufacturer: Yamaha
Model: WR250R
Type: Side Car
Kilometres: 1,667
For sale by: Private seller
Engine Capacity (cc): 0.25 litre
Power: --
Factory, Aftermarket Warranty (Months Remaining): --
Gears: Five-speed manual
Start Type: Electric start
Extra Features: --
FreckledAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,605
There's also a Harley chopper and a Ducati 1098 listed under "Trail bikes"...
You realise they vote, don't you?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #12
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,148
I do 500km's of highway to work and back every week and in very windy conditions it is under powered(standard engine) i some times would like a 450 version
However "most" of my road trail work a 650 is to heavy hell sometimes even the WRr is to heavy for some of it

I currently have done 18200km's in 9 months on a "new"(yes it was brand new in shop and they still have a new WRx) 2008 model No problems with it as yet

oh and DR650's suck

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
had one, was too gutless, back to dr650 now
Old 04-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
had one, was too gutless, back to dr650 now

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #15
Biridi
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hi Joe yes that was me could not work out how to post photo yet. good response to original question. cheers let me know of trail rides your neck of the woods
Biridi is offline   Reply With Quote