Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #31
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
More info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I used to own the WR250R and now I own a WR250X. Can't recommend these highly enough, they're so much fun, so reliable and very capable. What others have said about the rear suspension is true but it's adjustable and isn't too bad if you get the settings right. Also it sucks in deep sand, don't buy this bike if you plan to frequent the desert.
Hey Llamaha, genuine question. Why does it suck in deep sand?
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #32
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobob View Post
It get's it's hp from the high revs and doesn't have enough hp in the lower range to power through sand. I took my WRR to the Kimberly region a while ago and it was absolutely inferior to the WR450F my friend was on. Sometimes it wouldn't even move at all and just keep stalling. Perhaps a gearing change would help but as stock it was no good in the sand.

That said, it's an excellent choice for forest riding, street riding, long distance touring pretty much everything else.
Llamaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #33
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
X Model?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Suzuki DRZ400 wide ratio ACT gearbox
Suzuki DL650 Glee
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #34
L0cky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
X Model?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
Motard version
Same as the R, just with 17" wheels and bigger front disk, and 42 sprock instead of 43 sprock.

L0cky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #35
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
sand

Quote:
I have taken the WRR to deep deep sand in the Simpson east to west after a 5 day sandstorm. As long as I had speed and aggression it was OK but bogged on top of soft sand dunes. I attribute that to weight in the rear I was carrying.52 ltrs of fuel + 15 LtrS of water etc + other camping and stuff.on the way back a 4x4 carried my luggage for me. The we sailed through the dunes up big red etc. keep the weight low and momentum up it will go through sand etc.
In deep sand rev it and drop the clutch and keep it moving. no issues .but if u expect it to ' tractor' through sand at low speeds it does not have the torque.
Ride it like u stole it and u will be laughing.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #36
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
I have taken the WRR to deep deep sand in the Simpson east to west after a 5 day sandstorm. As long as I had speed and aggression it was OK but bogged on top of soft sand dunes. I attribute that to weight in the rear I was carrying.52 ltrs of fuel + 15 LtrS of water etc + other camping and stuff.on the way back a 4x4 carried my luggage for me. The we sailed through the dunes up big red etc. keep the weight low and momentum up it will go through sand etc.
In deep sand rev it and drop the clutch and keep it moving. no issues .but if u expect it to ' tractor' through sand at low speeds it does not have the torque.
Ride it like u stole it and u will be laughing.
How much of your 52 litres of fuel did you use?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #37
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,893
about 25?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #38
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
about 25?
52 ltrs + 7 in tank theoretically 1400 km of range. As I had no issues on all other tracks with the load I proceeded to carry the jerries full everywhere.biggest mistake in the Simpson.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #39
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 468
Just thought I'd add my two cents worth here....

I bought my WRR second hand (from an inmate) with around 5,000kms on it, which was mostly from a trip to Cape York. It had an FMF exhaust and fuel programmer, a B&B bashplate, Force radiator guards and a couple of other farkles and had been used as intended.

I added the Safari tank, changed the heavy steel sidestand for one from a WRF which weighs like a kilo less. Swapped the battery for a lithium jobby which saved another couple of kilos, added a Seat Concepts seat, a Screens-For-Bikes screen, fitted a Nomad rear tank and a set of mousse tubes, had the suspension sorted at Hoey's here in Adelaide, then rode the bike in the 2012 Australasian Safari rally. There it did around 4,000km of rocks and sand with me on it (I'm 105kg in gear) and it did fine, finished 22nd out of 40 and I'm a shit rider. Did one oil change and one rear tyre/mousse change for the whole event and, other than air filter changes, didn't touch it at all. It was hard work in the sand, and I reckon I changed gears twice as much as the next person, but it really wasn't a problem if you just kept the throttle on and tried to keep to flowing lines. Topped out at 132kph on the gravel, which is the limit of my courage. The 14-litre tank, in spite of everything I'd read, got "only" around 220km when the throttle was held wide open (rather than the 270 which was others experience). With the Nomad tank, range was right on the 300km mark.

After the race, I changed the oil and rear tyre, then did 2,700km through the Flinders and northern SA just before Christmas with my brother on his DR650, and was able to keep up fine. After this trip, another oil and tyre change and then did the Condo 750 (closer to 920km, actually), finishing 44th out of 70 or so.

The moral of this is don't let people tell you that the WRR is somehow a soft option for dirt, it does just fine, and I'd take the 10kg weight penalty and 8hp power penalty it has versus the WRF250 to have such a reliable, maintenance free bike. That it's nicer on the road is another bonus. I love the WRR, and can't see ever getting rid of it, unless Yamaha actually do bring out a 450 version. It's done 12,000km or so now, and I've just finished setting it up for the 24-hour Reliability Trial in July - there's virtually nothing it can't do.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #40
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

30 litres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
52 ltrs + 7 in tank theoretically 1400 km of range. As I had no issues on all other tracks with the load I proceeded to carry the jerries full everywhere.biggest mistake in the Simpson.
Stormsearcher, do you reckon 30 liters would get you across (Simpson East to West - Birdsville to Mt Dare) I know you said range of 1400ks but i imagine she sucked it throughh a bit more in the soft stuff? The bigger IMS tank is about 17litres so would need about another 13 or so in jerries and/ bladders. What do you think?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
Just thought I'd add my two cents worth here....

I bought my WRR second hand (from an inmate) with around 5,000kms on it, which was mostly from a trip to Cape York. It had an FMF exhaust and fuel programmer, a B&B bashplate, Force radiator guards and a couple of other farkles and had been used as intended.

I added the Safari tank, changed the heavy steel sidestand for one from a WRF which weighs like a kilo less. Swapped the battery for a lithium jobby which saved another couple of kilos, added a Seat Concepts seat, a Screens-For-Bikes screen, fitted a Nomad rear tank and a set of mousse tubes, had the suspension sorted at Hoey's here in Adelaide, then rode the bike in the 2012 Australasian Safari rally. There it did around 4,000km of rocks and sand with me on it (I'm 105kg in gear) and it did fine, finished 22nd out of 40 and I'm a shit rider. Did one oil change and one rear tyre/mousse change for the whole event and, other than air filter changes, didn't touch it at all. It was hard work in the sand, and I reckon I changed gears twice as much as the next person, but it really wasn't a problem if you just kept the throttle on and tried to keep to flowing lines. Topped out at 132kph on the gravel, which is the limit of my courage. The 14-litre tank, in spite of everything I'd read, got "only" around 220km when the throttle was held wide open (rather than the 270 which was others experience). With the Nomad tank, range was right on the 300km mark.

After the race, I changed the oil and rear tyre, then did 2,700km through the Flinders and northern SA just before Christmas with my brother on his DR650, and was able to keep up fine. After this trip, another oil and tyre change and then did the Condo 750 (closer to 920km, actually), finishing 44th out of 70 or so.

The moral of this is don't let people tell you that the WRR is somehow a soft option for dirt, it does just fine, and I'd take the 10kg weight penalty and 8hp power penalty it has versus the WRF250 to have such a reliable, maintenance free bike. That it's nicer on the road is another bonus. I love the WRR, and can't see ever getting rid of it, unless Yamaha actually do bring out a 450 version. It's done 12,000km or so now, and I've just finished setting it up for the 24-hour Reliability Trial in July - there's virtually nothing it can't do.
Sounds awesome. I really like the sound of these little jiggers however I have never ridden one. Have had a few 250fs though a different kettle of fish I suppose.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #42
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,206
How easy is it to swap the Safari tank and the stock fuel tank backwards and forwards?

(large fuel capacity for me, small fuel / weight when my young son rides it)

Blakduk screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 10:31 PM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #43
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Q3. I'll google it, but how much did you pay for Safari Tank?
Not sure on price for your application but I called them and got a 2nd and it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper then RRP and I cant see the defect/s. Taking it on and off should be pretty easy.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #44
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 863
$571.92 for a Safari through the Yamaha stealer ... the only licensed supplier of them.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #45
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,882
Quote:
Sounds awesome. I really like the sound of these little jiggers however I have never ridden one. Have had a few 250fs though a different kettle of fish I suppose.
Nah bob you know you want a 390 adventure
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote