User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
windypoint OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Oil leak from final drive question

I was looking at a GSPD that's for sale and saw some oil dripped on the rear tire. After a short test drive it was leaking oil out of the vent on top of the final drive gear. We opened the fill plug and oil poured out. I am guessing a seal in the rear of the engine has failed and oil is running down the shaft drive and overfilling the final gear drive. Am I correct and what would be the extent of the fix. Thanks in advance for any help.
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,194
Can you or a mod move this to airhead section? Might have more luck with an answer.

Anyhoo, oil wouldn't be from engine, as that is a whole separate unit located ahead of clutch and transmission. If the owner is serious about tracking this down I'd suggest draining all fluids from the transmission to the final drive and re-filling with the absolute correct amounts of lube.

Once that is done and you have a baseline you can see if maybe the FD got accidently way overfilled (as in maybe it never got drained and then someone filled it, or maybe someone didn't know what she/he was doing, etc.) or if it is migrating from somewhere you can trace that too.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quick check is to loosen the clamp holding the rubber bellows to the final drive. If oil runs out then the most likely scenario is rear seal on transmission.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
If I was looking at this bike for sale and it did as you say I would shake the guys hand and walk away. Why bother? Plenty of good ones out there.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Most probably overfilled by the owner. Drop oil, refill with the correct quantity, that is usually the bottom of the threads at the fill plug. Then remove the breather it may have the little sponge filter inside. If so squeeze the oil out of it, reinstall and then go for a ride.

Not sure or don't remember if the BMW bulletin on "leaks from the vent" is applicable to the GSs and there is a little internal mod that can be done to prevent the leak if applicable to that model. I'll look at the bulletin when I have a minute.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
And the bulletin, note the "correct oil level".Dated 1995 and applies to all the Paralever bikes altough I think they may have done a factory fix after that.

Oil leaks from the rear drive vent on a very hot day, usually shortly after the motorcycle has been parked. The oil level is checked and found to be correct.
Reason:
The day is hot, the rear drive is hot from operation, and the oil is at the top of the rear drive from the normal motion of the gear rotation. Air is below the oil, and the rear end becomes air locked (I.E. the oil cannot return to it’s normal space).
The rear end need to breath to let the oil return to it normal space in the housing.

Note:
The following remedy is only to be performed on units which have had this complaint and you have confirmed the proper amount of rear drive oil.

Remedy:
Remove the rear drive cover and with a small 3 sided file cut a grove 2mm X 2mm, in the rear drive housing as shown in the drawing on page #2. This will allow the trapped air to escape from the inter part of the rear drive, and at the same time allow the hot expanding oil to return to the proper place. Please ensure no filings are allowed to remain in the rear end.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931
MOved to airheads.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote