Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,590
I was surprised to see this thread revived...Well, my experience was a 100% failure rate as noted so I posed the question.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #32
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,181
Grrr...

Three month old WestCo in the R100. Dead as a friggin' doornail.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #33
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Interesting thread with everyone bashing Westco batteries. I bet I've sold 2 or 3 thousand of them over a 10 year period with less than 1.5% avaerage failure rate according to Westco. So a small handful of you are having issues. Your a pretty small percentage. I wonder what the rest of the battery manufactures percentage of failure is?

That rate means if you sell 10,000 batteries you get 150 pissed off customers. Not acceptable seeing as how each one can influence a half dozen potential customers. These batteries are old and mature technology. Only poor manufacturing gets a failure rate like that.

On the other side ofthe coin some bikes have electrical issues that damage the batteries and some customers don't care for them properly. The issue finished off the old battery and just took out the new one too. But the owner blames the battery because it's the last thing they messed with.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
That is incorrect. Their line of batteries are designed for motorcycles and they offer one car battery.
Dream on!

If you could find a Westco that was EXACTLY the same size as the BMW battery and had EXACTLY the same terminals as a BMW battery, then it would be on its way to being a motorcycle battery. That wouldn't be enough, of course.

Lower prices usually are the cause of lots and lots and lots of rationalization. Reality is something altogether different.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
No problems.

I guess I'm in the 98.5% silent majority.

I've had two Westco's for over five years, and both are still strong.

I kept them alternating on a single Deltran float charger, switching them over every couple of weeks or so, and recently bought an HF float charger, to see how that works with both on a charger.

Service life has been fine so far, and no battery acid on the frame or swingarm.
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #36
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
A true 1.5% failure rate probably isn't bad, for WestCo or anyone else. Depends on the time frame. Automotive battery companies want higher failure rates! They want the battery to fail just inside the warranty so you get another one of theirs. You're paying for it anyway.

However, I don't think the failure rate for these can be pinned down so closely. The WestCos that I replace are neither reported nor replaced under warranty; the owners just want a new battery so they can go ride.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #37
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
You may be alone with that sort of run of bad luck, but I've replaced lots and lots of Westcos. Many of them didn't last long or allowed ABS faults on Oilheads from the beginning.

I think they're junk. Maybe they used to be OK when they were actually Panasonics but now they seem to be lowest bidder.

I sell a lot of Odysseys and they last very well.

Still junk or..?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #38
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
A true 1.5% failure rate probably isn't bad, for WestCo or anyone else. Depends on the time frame. Automotive battery companies want higher failure rates! They want the battery to fail just inside the warranty so you get another one of theirs. You're paying for it anyway.

However, I don't think the failure rate for these can be pinned down so closely. The WestCos that I replace are neither reported nor replaced under warranty; the owners just want a new battery so they can go ride.
That's a good point. I've had 2 Yuasa batteries fail on me in a year or less and I've just recycled them at the dump and got something new. No report on the failure.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #39
doctorwho?
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have had two Westco SLA batteries in my R100CS and both went tango-uniform within a year. The batteries were made in Vietnam. They were sold on line. Both a disappointment. Despite a battery tender in a heated garage, my bike is presently awaiting a new battery. It will not be a Westco.
doctorwho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #40
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho? View Post
I have had two Westco SLA batteries in my R100CS and both went tango-uniform within a year. The batteries were made in Vietnam. They were sold on line. Both a disappointment. Despite a battery tender in a heated garage, my bike is presently awaiting a new battery. It will not be a Westco.
Have you checked your charging system? Guess which way I'm betting an ice cream...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
kwb210
who just arrived?

Oddometer: 80
I agree...how is your charging system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Have you checked your charging system? Guess which way I'm betting an ice cream...
Blame the battery. Blame the battery. I run all Westco batteries. Just ordered 5 more for my rental airheads. The last 4 bikes I bought had somewhat poor batteries as far as strength goes so new batteries were in order. Plus one for a R90S project I am working on. I can't justify a poor battery in a rental bike. There is no way I am going to drive hundreds of miles to rescue a poor battery! My favorite ride, my black bitch, a 1977 R100/7 with well over 100,000 miles runs a Westco and lives on a tender, always a surprise to bystanders on how quickly she fires up. A friend has a Westco and mentioned he thought it was maybe 7 or 8 yrs old, yikes! We were doing a timing chain this winter and I had the chance to take a peak at his battery. He is one of those that writes the date of service on the battery (ok, I do the same thing) it was or is, an 11 year old westco. That's crazy in my book, but it fires his 1984 R100RT off just fine. We just returned from John Day, OR rally and his bike never ceases to fire. Personally I would replace the battery just because, well, just because it is way to old! But there is sits in the bike and continues to function. So, I have good healthy charging systems and have not had any issues with the Westco batteries.
kwb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #42
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
I am sure it is not scientific, but I seem to have quit losing batteries when I changed from BatteryTenders to BatteryMinders (desulfating AGM specific). My machines stored outdoors (tractors, army trucks, etc.) get temperature compensated models. The inside stored items (motorcycles) are not compensated.

My batteries of choice are Odyssey.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I am sure it is not scientific, but I seem to have quit losing batteries when I changed from BatteryTenders to BatteryMinders (desulfating AGM specific). My machines stored outdoors (tractors, army trucks, etc.) get temperature compensated models. The inside stored items (motorcycles) are not compensated.

My batteries of choice are Odyssey.
I've never been the "leave it on a battery tender all the time" kind of guy. I will throw a battery on a trickle charger overnight once in a while if the battery is sitting unused. Once in a while being every 3-4 months. But IMHO parking it on a tender for extended periods seems unnecessary.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
ozmoses OP
Ride On

I'll tell you what surprised me today- installed the Odyssey I had removed after my last g/s ride pre-storage in Nov or so.

No tender,etc in the interim, battery kept in basement near furnace until last week-@ 6 mos .

Turned the key, lights were bright & the motor fired instantly.

That's a good feeling!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #45
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb210 View Post
Blame the battery. Blame the battery. I run all Westco batteries. Just ordered 5 more for my rental airheads. The last 4 bikes I bought had somewhat poor batteries as far as strength goes so new batteries were in order. Plus one for a R90S project I am working on. I can't justify a poor battery in a rental bike. There is no way I am going to drive hundreds of miles to rescue a poor battery! My favorite ride, my black bitch, a 1977 R100/7 with well over 100,000 miles runs a Westco and lives on a tender, always a surprise to bystanders on how quickly she fires up. A friend has a Westco and mentioned he thought it was maybe 7 or 8 yrs old, yikes! We were doing a timing chain this winter and I had the chance to take a peak at his battery. He is one of those that writes the date of service on the battery (ok, I do the same thing) it was or is, an 11 year old westco. That's crazy in my book, but it fires his 1984 R100RT off just fine. We just returned from John Day, OR rally and his bike never ceases to fire. Personally I would replace the battery just because, well, just because it is way to old! But there is sits in the bike and continues to function. So, I have good healthy charging systems and have not had any issues with the Westco batteries.

While I do not doubt your experience , there was a "bad batch" or so I've been told-I got two, apparently.

Sometimes, it is the battery.

My issue is/was if there is a known defect-warranty the friggin' thing.

The one I had in my K bike was old when I bought it, rode it, stored it improperly and was still going when I sold it. That was several years ago though.