User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Hodgo OP
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,517
Taking Advice from Others on Adventures Riding & Equipment

Here's a subject that is sure to get people talking.

There has a been a few threads around complaining about experiences etc.

Quite frankly I'm disappointed that there are.

If you have to complain about something you
  1. Haven't done your research correctly
  2. You have not used someone's advice from someone that Knows.
Now don't get me wrong, there is no shortage of experts on Adventure Riding & Equipment.

But if someone offers you advice they genuinely are concerned about you & your safety and equipment.

So how do you know when to take the advice if your less experienced and are attempting a trip to say.... Camerons Corner or similar...

I for one like helping other Adventure Riders as I have been on the receiving end of some awesome help from people who know what they are on about & genuinely care.

Just saying... and provoking some thought on this subject " Before " you head of in the wild west Unprepared.
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more

Hodgo screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 11:24 PM
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo View Post

...................... if your less experienced and have low amount of posts on here...............

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:

...if your less experienced and have low amount of posts on here and are attempting a trip to say.... Camerons Corner or similar...
So... the more posts one has the more experienced rider they are?

Cameron Corner (from anywhere in NSW) is simply riding a few dirt roads... not what I'd call a hard ride by any means. Sure you could die if you stuff up... but that could happen in George Street, Sydney as well.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
cascade63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
This thread already needs a clean up...

Can you people stop obsesing about post counts?

Craig Heartly has a post count of about 1, I have a 4000+ post count, I know who I would trust more on adventure matters (Hint, it's not me).

But a lot of people do come on here and think they do some pretty awsome rides, then find out there trip to Birdsville, or Cameron Corner really does pale in comparison to what a lot of people do on here...

So thats why big mouth N00Bs might get treated slightly different to members that have been here for years, travlled most of the contenent, and have a few thousand posts.

So can we please stay on subject and forget about your post count, because no one else cares about it...

And I will be deleating this post at 2:30 today just so I am not clutering up this thread with off topic crap.
+1

There are even Adv riders out there doing it every day and have never heard of this site.

Believe it or not
cascade63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,625
Cant agree with your failed to do research comment Hodgo!
Sometimes you just have to buy and try, all the recommendations mean shit till you try it yourself, thats why there are a 100 different options of everything, horses for courses!
I have ten tents, 6 sleeping bags and 4 sleeping pads and Im still not happy with any off them. Everyone recommends the Exped, I bought one, total crap in my opinion, Now I will get hate mail from the Exped loversCooking gear I lucked out on, first kitn I bought was Trangia, love it, stillusing it bcooking gear sorted yet if I recommend it to you, you may have a total different view and think its crap. Everyone is different,as it should be, atb the end of the day, take all comments on board, but at the end of the day, decision is yours and yours alone
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Talking You are all right, especially Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
Cant agree with your failed to do research comment Hodgo!
Sometimes you just have to buy and try, all the recommendations mean shit till you try it yourself, thats why there are a 100 different options of everything, horses for courses!
I have ten tents, 6 sleeping bags and 4 sleeping pads and Im still not happy with any off them. Everyone recommends the Exped, I bought one, total crap in my opinion, Now I will get hate mail from the Exped loversCooking gear I lucked out on, first kitn I bought was Trangia, love it, stillusing it bcooking gear sorted yet if I recommend it to you, you may have a total different view and think its crap. Everyone is different,as it should be, atb the end of the day, take all comments on board, but at the end of the day, decision is yours and yours alone
I'm a NOOB on this site as well as a recently returned rider. I really appreciate lurking around some of the threads, learning from more experienced riders, but I've also learnt from looking at pictures of well set up bikes & gear. I reckon that I can even contribute a little bit from what I've learnt setting my own bike up & doing a few rides. And of course the screw ups; especially buying the wrong thing.

The recent CCS controversy was more to do with attitudes & interpersonal misunderstandings. Could happen at your local just as easily as in the bush. Like it or not we're judged as a group, I know some people who won't admit to being an "adventure rider", arguing that some people think adv riders are all a pack of "wankers".

By all means research, ask, look, and "suck & see" your gear, practice the skills to keep you from needing someone to recover you. But also take an attitude of having fun and enjoying the people that you meet, they're (in my experience) great people who are there to help you. Same as you'd help them if they needed it.

Keep up the good work & thanks for all the advice & help, Boneman
boneman660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
But if someone offers you advice they genuinely are concerned about you & your safety and equipment.

So how do you know when to take the advice if your less experienced and have low amount of posts on here and are attempting a trip to say.... Camerons Corner or similar...

I for one like helping other Adventure Riders as I have been on the receiving end of some awesome help from people who know what they are on about & genuinely care.

Just saying... and provoking some thought on this subject " Before " you head of in the wild west Unprepared.
Post count has NOTHING to do with real world experience! It just means you like to talk a lot on these forums!

I have no doubt there are many people out there, like yourself, who genuinely help (end enjoy helping) others and for that I applaud you!

Remember the old saying..
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, become consultants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Can you people stop obsesing about post counts?
+1 who really gives a flying fsck about post count? Remove it from the forums post haste!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,452
So then that would mean that the more bikes you have had the more you know about bikes and the better rider one would be.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,871
I have many bikes, so that is clearly not the case...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,456
I have a large post count, and can ride ok. But dont take any advice from me about water crossings. Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Those who can't teach, become consultants!
easy there us consultants need to eat........although lobster has become expensive lately
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,152
I have well over 10000 post counts.

That's it, that's all I wanted to add.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,671
The world is full of self styled experts,some good some wankers.
There is no substitute for common sense, caution when necessary, and weighting whats best for you.
A farmer once told me accidents are natures' way of culling idiots
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
I have well over 10000 post counts.

That's it, that's all I wanted to add.
Only just, Nev, so it's nothing to brag about. You're a mod and posts are like sheets of toilet paper - you don't know how many you've used until you look across for the one you really need.
Hodgo's right, this is a topic that's bound to get people talking.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #15
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Advice is like a box of chocolates. You ask for it and you never know what you're gunna get. If you don't like it, spit it out and try the next one.