Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,864
Selling Up and Leaving - Careful What You Wish For!

Premise: Sell everything and Retire/Start a business (?) in Central/South America.

Launch Date: Nov 1st 2014, snow be damned!

EDIT: If you want to skip the foreplay and mindless banter I won't blame you. The actual RR starts at post #303!

As I write this, the upstairs is empty, the mattress is on the floor and the TV sits on top of a KLR Topcase. Takes me back to College.

The Skinny: Sold everything but the bikes. Relocating from Ontario Canada to Central/ South America.

The final destination isn’t determined yet and may take a year or ?? Hoping to set up a Hostel/Adventurer Safe Haven and Maintenance Depot. With a Bar and Restaurant of course, catering to the KLR types on up to the BMW R1200GS Starbuck $15 Latte Two Wheeled Motorhome Crowd.

WARNING: The following is depressing but a necessary part of the story for those considering the same.

The Fat: To seek out new lives, new civilizations....to boldly go where no one thinks it’s safe. It’s stressful as hell. Skip ahead to the launch date for the RR if you’re stuck in your rut and just like looking at the pictures to help get through your day. I won’t blame you. It’ll be less of a downer.

Having started out in life with little more than a spork, and then spending decades overcompensating by working up to 3 jobs at a time, collecting Trade Licences and accumulating “stuff”, selling everything you own is really, really hard. So far, I’ve been fairly successful in converting my stuff into beer. I am a lifetime mechanic and I now have no tools. A caged Lion. A bird without wings. An unattended open bar. What have I done?

Last winter was brutal here in Southern Ontario. Worst in 20 years they say, 30 if you’re trying to sell Vacation Packages. The wife booked some time off and we took the cheapest vacation package anywhere South. A last minute deal to Cartagena, Colombia (a port of the Stahlratte) for Valentine’s Day. We packed our ATGATT but were unable to get bike rentals there. An American group swooped in and rented all the KLR’s from under us. Business is Business. So while we sat under an umbrella on the 14th at the free bar next to the lapping waves of the Caribbean Sea, inspired by our previous rides around North America as well as other Gnarly Adventurer’s Ride Reports, we decided to give the ADV salute to further winters in the Great White North. We're Bikers, not Sledders like my brother!

Sounded easy enough.

OMFG.

The first hurdle was breaking it to the family and friends. My MIL hated me for a long time, blaming me for breaking up their close knit family. My family just acknowledges each other over turkey every other year. Mom wants to move back in with me down south. Our friends just said “What took you so long?”

Research research research. Where,when, how?

Leaving in the Fall is best so as to catch the DRY season down there so I had time to complete all the unfinished reno’s in order to list the house. It sold in 4 days with a closing date of Oct 31. D day!

Parting with all my hard earned stuff was excruciating! Dealing with all the lowballing idiots on Kijiji (our Craig’s List) was . Pennies on the dollar being the norm. Bec sold her car for less than what was owed. My Jeep went to the first cash offer, an 8" stack of $20's. Vehicles we planned to drive into the ground became an expensive waste. I’d been leaving the keys in mine with a full tank. No luck there either. So many unfinished projects scrapped.

There was Travel shots at the Clinic, informing my bank so as not to have my accounts frozen, changes of addresses, cancelling Insurance, getting Insurance, finding storage, donating, buying, getting 10 yr Passports, extending our Health Care for 2 yrs as Tourists (Free - Thank you Canada!) etc. All the winter clothes were given to the various Charities. I had to stress over what clothes Bec gave me for Christmas so as not to be yelled at for donating them. “You said you liked that!” We saturated the family and friends with our crap and they pretended to be happy about it. Even the neighbours hide from me. I’m planning to set up our patio furniture in Don’s yard next door the night before we leave.....

All in all, there are so many loose ends.

Did I mention the pets?

We have 2 cats and no kids. Cats are ubiquitous and beyond free. People pay you to take them. I hear they even offer swimming lessons for them too. A one time fee. Our one cat’s named “Broken Head”. He aint right. Showed up one day with scars, a broken tail, missing nuts and OCD. Lovable little Snuggle F%$K tho. More on this to follow.

Sorry Guys, you gotta go!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver screwed with this post 11-03-2014 at 09:40 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
RandyLove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
You're Making the Right Decision

I admire your spirit and strength to cut the cord, and I look forward to seeing how it all goes.

Randy

http://pretirement2012.blogspot.com

Tour de Farnes, A round trip Adventure from San Francisco, CA to Ushuaia, Argentina and back http://pretirement2012.blogspot.com
RandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,930
i feel ya pain, and i'm liking the way its starting out, all very familiar, let me know where you end up and I WILL stop by...
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
Reaver OP
Outta Here

The Story Changes

Bec quit her job as a high level office worker with a Global Corporation. After doing so, I suggested she look for opportunities to take a transfer. Low and behold, she was accepted into the San Jose, Costa Rica office!

They said No Problemo! Come right away! It's all good! We said give us a start date that allows us to ride there. Come right away they said. So I planned to ride down while she started work.

It's Central America, nothing goes as promised.

They didn't mention all the paperwork required for a Visa. They didn't mention that "no problemo" meant months of waiting. It's a problemo.

So we booked flights immediately so as to secure some lodging for the winter, then I was to fly home to get my bike and take a leisurely route to CR.

Then we were told a Visa would take months to get. Dammit, we already made plans......

In researching the travel requirements for the cats, we thought we met the standards well in advance. Then the CR Embassy emailed us the PROPER paperwork. Well F!!!!!!! CR doesn't recognize the NA 3 yr Rabies shots. And there were many tests to be done EXACTLY according to a timeline. So we scrambled, taking the cats 3 times to the Vets for more shots, exams and signatures. They prefer non - scented Rectal Thermometer lube BTW. Then all the stamps needed from different sources in distant cities. OMG, can't we call the Swimming Instructor? In the end, one cat meets the vaccination requirements, one doesn't. The website says they may quarantine the pet, send you straight back home, or euthanize. We already moved the flight another week at a cost and lost our Hotel payment. Cross your fingers, I bet quarantine is expensive! These cats are becoming a money pit. We even had to get drugs to calm them for the flight. Airline Approved Pet Carriers are another sore spot. I'm not going there. We're stuffing the fat buggers under the seat in front of us on the plane. If the carriers aren't rejected and we lose the flight.......

Reaver screwed with this post 10-17-2014 at 11:43 PM
Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
jafar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
This has the makings of EPIC
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafar View Post
This has the makings of EPIC
Or suicide I'm thinking.

Welcome guys. I've read a lot of RR's but no one includes the selling up part. I thought it would be easy. I was wrong.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Johnny Locks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Fantastic!

I salute you for taking life by the balls. I wish you the very best, and will be following your report enthusiastically. Good luck!
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Reaver OP
Outta Here

We started out with 2 bikes each, and had to eliminate half of them. I know, First World problem.

So my 2012 BMW F800GS Triple black was the first to go. It had been a winter project.

It turned out great and is now the AltRider Display bike at DualSport Plus here. That's another Selling up story. I hope t meet the original owners in Mexico.

My other project that helped me survive the winter:

It's a long story but this bike turned out fantastic as well so we sold Bec's red one.

Since the pic I've added Aluminum panniers, a Camel tank, Scotts Steering Damper and a Rekluse clutch. Nice little girl's bike.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Roadinator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Another jealous inmate

I'm in like Flynn.

The cat deal almost made me not subscribe Do you really need cats?

Keep going my friend and make us proud
Old 10-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #10
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadinator View Post
I'm in like Flynn.

The cat deal almost made me not subscribe Do you really need cats?

Keep going my friend and make us proud
NOBODY needs a cat. But just try to take one away from a pet lover.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #11
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 180
I'm in....where in Ontario are you??.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
NKOrange
Puny homer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
NOBODY needs a cat. But just try to take one away from a pet lover.
Well said!

I feel your pain! I begun the process of moving 3 cats to Australia and quickly came to the conclusion that it was going to be a months long headache. In the end I didn't get the job down under, but the happy part was that the cat relocation was aborted.

7 times down, 8 times up. Such is life.
NKOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
I'm in....where in Ontario are you??.
Why, did you want the patio set?

Close to Guelph where I was born. Came home after 25 yrs to leave again, maybe for good.

Call it Toronto, close enough.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Boring Cat Stuff, Scroll down past it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKOrange View Post

I feel your pain! I begun the process of moving 3 cats to Australia and quickly came to the conclusion that it was going to be a months long headache.
Yeah, they know something's up. All the premium sleeping spots are gone. No couches, no ottoman, no spare bed, nowhere to hide when I chase them. Broken Head was abandoned before and may have been hit by a car. He's licked most of the fur off his belly and is continuing on. Vet said it was stress. The other cat just whines all day now.

Next Friday is the flight. 4 am pick up with at least 12 hrs in the cages. If all goes well. I had my hair cut short so I can't pull it out.

We'll have one week to find a house to rent before I fly home and leave her to the unknown.

What could go wrong?

Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
Catracho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Wow!!! Sounds like a plan!!

Go do it, there's still lots of business opportunities in Latin America

Coming from someone who has owned several in Central America, it's easier than you'd think and don't worry about all those pesky licenses, taxes, or health and safety laws. . No one else does

I'll be following along