User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Shake_N_Bake OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
10 Days around Wyoming or .....

Like so many others on this site, I was out of motorcycling for many years. When I came back a couple years ago I found out about this entirely new (to me) segment known as adventure riding. I was immediately enthralled with the ability to ride around the world and see all sorts of new things. But as happens so often, life gets in the way and the grandiose plans will have to wait. But this is still something I can work towards while getting everything else sorted out.

So this trip is the start of that process. I live in Cheyenne WY so with that as my home base I tried to come up with ideas for longer term trips that I could work to longer and longer. I also like to play in the dirt. So my initial idea was to work out a route that would let me circumnavigate the state of Wyoming almost entirely on dirt.

I located a few maps and local books and started planning a very intricate route through and around the state. Recently, during one of my planning sessions I took a break to run to the store. As I mounted the bike to come home I had a revelation. I had never done this before so how am I supposed to know what kind of distance I want to do every day. What type of dirt/paved mix do I want, etc. The answer was that I do not know the answer. So all this planning was actually setting me up for a way to fail.

The result of this revelation was to pitch almost all of the planning. I now have a list of the places I would like to see and a date I have to return. That is about it. When people ask where I am going I tell them north and west. If I end up in Yellowstone, fine. If I end up in Washington, fine.

This is my first vacation in more than 5 years. I have resolved not to have the pressure of any itinerary. I have 10 days to get on my bike and ride where and for how long I would like. That is what I am going to do.

While the overall goal of this trip is to enjoy myself there are further objectives I would like to meet or have answered. While the thought of extended motorcycle travel intrigues me will the reality meet the fantasy? Can I actually spend that much time by myself? Am I as self-sufficient as I think I am? Can I answer all these questions and others in 10 days? Probably not but I would like to think I will have a much expanded knowledge base to draw upon in the future.

As of now the plan is to hop on the bike in the early morning of Saturday the 23rd of August and see what I can see, do what I want to do and see where I end up. I will be taking my 2006 KTM 950 Adventure. I have new Mefo Super Explorers that I need to mount before the trip. Other than some regular maintenance I believe the bike is ready to go. We will see what I find between now and departure.

Here is the bike I will be taking.

Some of the places I intend to visit/ride:

Sinks Canyon near Lander
The Lander Cut-off Road
Union Pass near Dubois
Greys Road between Kemmer and Alpine
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
The Medicine Wheel in the Bighorn Mountains
Mosteller Cup - trials event near Casper Labor Day weekend

We'll have to wait and see how many of these and how many not on the list I end up making it too.

http://www.findmespot.com/spotadvent...?tripid=332876
Shake_N_Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,670
In! Looking forward to following along. 3 of us will be starting our own trip out of Atlantic City on the 24, so we'll be on the lookout for you at Sinks and Lander. Enjoy the solo!
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake_N_Bake View Post
Some of the places I intend to visit/ride:

Sinks Canyon near Lander
The Lander Cut-off Road
Union Pass near Dubois
Greys Road between Kemmer and Alpine
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
The Medicine Wheel in the Bighorn Mountains
Mosteller Cup - trials event near Casper Labor Day weekend

We'll have to wait and see how many of these and how many not on the list I end up making it too.
That's a good list. I have been to almost all of them and it's really nice. Have fun and good luck!
Roland44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #4
Shake_N_Bake OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
In! Looking forward to following along. 3 of us will be starting our own trip out of Atlantic City on the 24, so we'll be on the lookout for you at Sinks and Lander. Enjoy the solo!
The way things look now I should be in that area sometime in the afternoon of the 24th. I'll keep an eye out.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Wyoming to Detroit!

.......probably not! I'm in!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Phil in K.C.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Passed through Landers a couple years back on our way to Glacier. Landers Brewery was pretty good drink and food. Sinks was very interesting place. If you get near Yellowstone you might as well do Beartooth and Chief Joe....Really enjoyed WY.

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff......Frank Zappa
Phil in K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Catastrophic Failure
Catastrophic Failure

Oddometer: 131
Best of luck on the Wyoming Solo! You have the right bike and the right State dialed in for the makings of a memorable adventure. I hope you get up into the Big Horns, will be watching your RR
Catastrophic Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Shake_N_Bake OP
Adventurer

As it is for so many others, the work week left little time for anything other than work. But I did manage to get the Mefo's mounted and some other last minute items completed.

Having no plan has opened up so many opportunities. I picked up an Idaho and Montana map from Butler just in case I end up heading that way. The area just to the north of Yellowstone in Montana looks intriguing.

This time next week I will be on my way. Right now 10 days seems like a good stretch of time. But I am pretty sure it will just fly by.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,597
out of motorcycling for some time...well you sure do go for the full hog with that bike!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
Shake_N_Bake OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
out of motorcycling for some time...well you sure do go for the full hog with that bike!!!
Well in my defense I did have a Honda XR650L when I first got back into riding. After riding that around for a while then I got the 950. The XR650L does not really compare to the 950 though.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
This should be good! I'm in.... and waiting on pictures!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
Shake_N_Bake OP
Adventurer

So seeing as I have never done this before, does anyone have any suggestions to make "live" updating easier? Only taking a small tablet with me if it makes any difference.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
Shake_N_Bake OP
Adventurer

I thought I would define a few goals of this trip, as it inches ever closer. I see many ride reports that appear to be defined by how many miles can be made each day. That is not what this trip is to be about. This trip will be about what I can see, do and learn while using the motorcycle as the method of travel.

I hope to be able to post photos of all the things I see and do along the way. If not I will certainly fill in the gaps when I return. But don't be surprised if you see my feet up in the middle if the day lounging by a creek.

This trip is about the experience not the number of miles or even the destination. Hopefully as I update this, that will come through the narrative and hopefully be interesting to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Two more days to get through before departure. Then we will see where I eventually end up.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
drewlin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
re:live trip updates

I'm excited for you Tom and will have to live vicariously through your trip updates, so to answer your question about live trip updates here's what I'd suggest:
1) spot tracker - all you have to do is turn it on everyday and it beams your location to a map the rest of us can access all day long. I used this on my 3 week Mexico ride and it was perfect.
2) photo uploads to your G+ page - whenever you snap a photo you can share it with G+

As long as the rest of us have a link to your spot map and G+ photo page, we'll be able to follow.

Good luck and have a stress-free excellent vacation adventure!
Andy
drewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
wyoly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Was just over in Lander area camping last weekend. Some great back roads to travel with on the bike. Look forward to following along on your trip.
wyoly is offline   Reply With Quote