ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #1696
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayHome View Post
Are you bypassing India and Southeast Asia in favor of riding east through Russia and Mongolia?
I'm in Almaty Kazakhstan heading north toward Russia right now. China was too much $$ and I didn't want to do a "tour". India might be later after south east Asia if Myanmar gets easier.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #1697
jimtom
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sand Rock, AL
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
This one made my heart sink. Can't imagine the feeling the owner must have had as it sputtered to a stop. So much loneliness...

I interpret the same feeling of lonliness from this picture, not for the absent rider but for the bike.
jimtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #1698
Xylx
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post

In Kyrgyzstan, the rivers were too muddy to catch anything. In Tajik I only saw fish surfacing in one lake near Dushanbe but I didn't stop to fish. So far, central asia has skunked me. I did buy an ultra light spinning reel, hooks, bobbers and sinkers in case the flies aren't working. Obviously I will be using the fly setup when its working.. but I hate being skunked. Especially when the fry pan is hot and ready.
It's not you. I've ridden through and camped by many streams in the Kungei Alatau and never saw any fish except some small 6 inch or less perch looking things. You will need a 7 weight when you get to Vladivostock.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #1699
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff
 
RMOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 305
You’ve outdone yourself mate, the photos on the last three pages are simply outstanding, so many roads, tracks and landscapes that beckon the soul.

Thoroughly enjoying following, cheers
__________________
www.RemoteMoto.com
RMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #1700
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
You’ve outdone yourself mate, the photos on the last three pages are simply outstanding, so many roads, tracks and landscapes that beckon the soul.
Thanks man. Easy to take good pictures when you are in a landscape like that.

I'm sure NZ has some amazing places also.. I'll be getting in contact whenever I make it that way.. in a year or 2.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #1701
nightflyer
Hors contrôle
 
nightflyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Horn of Africa
Oddometer: 104
Almaty

Hey Noah,

you still in Almaty? I saw you a couple days ago turning the corner of Panfilova and Gogola as I was walking to the grocery store (I know my life is quite exiting these days)...

drop me a line if you are still around on Friday...
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #1702
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
Hey Noah,

you still in Almaty? I saw you a couple days ago turning the corner of Panfilova and Gogola as I was walking to the grocery store (I know my life is quite exiting these days)...

drop me a line if you are still around on Friday...
Yeah. I still am here. I'm not sure if I'm leaving tomorrow or later. The road is calling but sometimes its nice to hang out for a while..
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #1703
CamelBill
Ride It!
 
CamelBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: St. Chuck, Mizery
Oddometer: 499
Amazing

As many have said, your pictures are outstanding, and your narrative is first rate! Best ride report I have ever read, and I have been following you all the way. Keep it coming!
__________________
Camel
KTM 1190R, 950S, 500XC-W
FJR, Wing
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #1704
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer
 
S H I F T Y's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 697
Minus the cost of the bike / gear, do you have a ballpark estimate what the trip has cost you thus far?
S H I F T Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #1705
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by S H I F T Y View Post
Minus the cost of the bike / gear, do you have a ballpark estimate what the trip has cost you thus far?
I think I am around a 60-70$ per day cost right now. That includes ferries and shipping the bike to europe. I was budgeting $100 so I'm pretty happy about that.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #1706
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I think I am around a 60-70$ per day cost right now. That includes ferries and shipping the bike to europe. I was budgeting $100 so I'm pretty happy about that.
Is that being spendy? Maybe my budget plans for the mid-east aren't as luscious as I thought.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #1707
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Is that being spendy? Maybe my budget plans for the mid-east aren't as luscious as I thought.
In the UK and Turkey I was spending $50 a day on fuel alone. In most of eastern europe its hard to find cheaper accommodation so camping, hostels and couch surfing help to keep the cost down. In the UK though, $100 (60 pounds) does not last long. Especially when 30 pounds goes to fuel. 30 pounds left for everything else.. If its raining and you don't feel like camping, good luck finding accommodation for less than the remaining 30 pounds. Here I am spending about $25 on fuel and now that I am camping more, I'm living for about $35 a day. The whole time in Tajikistan I spend less than $400 and that was with the bike problems and staying 3 days in Dushanbe.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #1708
sigmund freud
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Pijnacker Holland
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I think I am around a 60-70$ per day cost right now. That includes ferries and shipping the bike to europe. I was budgeting $100 so I'm pretty happy about that.
I must win the USA lottory $350.000.000 or 1/10 off that is enough for a RTW trip for 10 year whitout camping.
sigmund freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #1709
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
In the UK and Turkey I was spending $50 a day on fuel alone. In most of eastern europe its hard to find cheaper accommodation so camping, hostels and couch surfing help to keep the cost down. In the UK though, $100 (60 pounds) does not last long. Especially when 30 pounds goes to fuel. 30 pounds left for everything else.. If its raining and you don't feel like camping, good luck finding accommodation for less than the remaining 30 pounds. Here I am spending about $25 on fuel and now that I am camping more, I'm living for about $35 a day. The whole time in Tajikistan I spend less than $400 and that was with the bike problems and staying 3 days in Dushanbe.
I have a lot of experience traveling in Europe. It's east of the Balkans that I have no knowledge of costs. Does it stay the same, get cheaper, more expensive east of there?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #1710
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I have a lot of experience traveling in Europe. It's east of the Balkans that I have no knowledge of costs. Does it stay the same, get cheaper, more expensive east of there?
Croatia and former Yugoslavia, Greece, turkey and Georgia are cheaper than western Europe. I would say as a rule of thumb the further from the UK you go, the cheaper it gets. Also stay away from big cities and its always cheaper.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014