ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #1771
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino1987 View Post
Noah, I'm stuck on the other side of the world away from my home and bike all summer. Reading your trip report makes me want to drop everything and do the same thing as you. Thanks for the great writing and pictures!
Thanks for following along. I am so thankful for all of you that give me encouragement. Without being held accountable to this RR... I might not take the time to write it down or take that picture. I'm a bit lazy like that. But you forget. And I'm happy that I can share it with all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Hiya NOah.

Looks like you're moving forward as you should. Again, great pictures and fantastic reading. Thanks again.
Hiya Hardwaregirl! Glad you are enjoying. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red liner View Post
What made you set out on this trip? And have you begun finding whatever it is that you were looking for?

Great trip report. Loved all the pictures.
The truth?
I was working/living in southern California. I'm going to generalize here.. I found people to be rude, materialistic, fake, ignorant and not hard working (does not apply to ADV inmates ). I always said after 5 years with this company I would step back and look at my life. "Am I happy". I liked my job, but I knew I would have to stay in California for a few more years. It was not where I wanted to spend the remainder of my 20s.

I was saving for a house. I had a pretty good down payment set aside. But again, I have no wife.. no kids.. why do I need a house? People always plan to travel when they retire. I am glad many of you get that chance. But I did not want to risk not making it to that point. I have changed so much in the past year.. good bad or ugly, my life will never be the same. It seems a shame to wait until I am old to learn about myself, the world and the people we share it with. No better time than now. I wanted to see the world before it is to fooked up to see. I wanted to experience culture before the western culture has infiltrated every last inch of the earth. No better time than now.

I see people backpacking staying in hostels. They live by the lonely planet book. I feel sorry for them. They just don't get the same experience you do on a moto.. with an idea for a plan.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah

RoninMoto screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 10:16 AM
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #1772
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Okie near Muskogee
Oddometer: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I see people backpacking staying in hostels. They live by the lonely planet book. I feel sorry for them. They just don't get the same experience you do on a moto.. with an idea for a plan.
What might be even sadder is a moto traveler totally relying on that same book

It's a reference, not a bible, way more out there than what is listed in there.

I will continue to work until I die, retirement is a pipe dream. Travel as much as you can before you're old and tired out, lots more adventure to be had
__________________
www.throttlemeister.net
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #1773
DCrider
Live from THE Hill
 
DCrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
It seems a shame to wait until I am old to learn about myself, the world and the people we share it with. No better time than now.
spoken like a wise old man to be
__________________
ADV'ing from America's fine Crapital...
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #1774
DCrider
Live from THE Hill
 
DCrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post

Because I'm classy.
Nice, all ya needed was this in ur hand filled with some pimp juice
__________________
ADV'ing from America's fine Crapital...

DCrider screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 02:52 PM
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1775
CaseyB
Adventually
 
CaseyB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: The Garden State
Oddometer: 435
DCrider quoted what jumped out to me as well...worth repeating

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I have changed so much in the past year.. good bad or ugly, my life will never be the same. It seems a shame to wait until I am old to learn about myself, the world and the people we share it with. No better time than now. I wanted to see the world before it is to fooked up to see. I wanted to experience culture before the western culture has infiltrated every last inch of the earth. No better time than now
that is priceless, hold on to it.

I'm 35 and when I was in my 20's, I was traveling around seeing new things, having new experiences....then BAMMM, I'm sitting in a cubicle, reading vicariously through others and 10 years have gone by....time moves fast


Not just yours, but all these ride reports i've read over the last few years, has helped encourage me to get back to basics....thats why i've already booked up the month of september and early october for a MC tour.

I don't comment much in your RR, but I have very much enjoyed it and always look forward to new installments.


Thanks a bunch,
Casey
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #1776
Kirkster
Parts Murderer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of MD
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
The truth?
I was working/living in southern California. I'm going to generalize here.. I found people to be rude, materialistic, fake, ignorant and not hard working (does not apply to ADV inmates ). I always said after 5 years with this company I would step back and look at my life. "Am I happy". I liked my job, but I knew I would have to stay in California for a few more years. It was not where I wanted to spend the remainder of my 20s.

I was saving for a house. I had a pretty good down payment set aside. But again, I have no wife.. no kids.. why do I need a house? People always plan to travel when they retire. I am glad many of you get that chance. But I did not want to risk not making it to that point. I have changed so much in the past year.. good bad or ugly, my life will never be the same. It seems a shame to wait until I am old to learn about myself, the world and the people we share it with. No better time than now. I wanted to see the world before it is to fooked up to see. I wanted to experience culture before the western culture has infiltrated every last inch of the earth. No better time than now.

I see people backpacking staying in hostels. They live by the lonely planet book. I feel sorry for them. They just don't get the same experience you do on a moto.. with an idea for a plan.
The past three years reading ADVrider made me realize that I needed to live more. It also made me realize that I was working for tomorrow and not really living Today...

So now I am on the TAT on my KTM 690. If I did not have a wife and a couple pets I think I would just turn south at New Mexico and see what comes next...

Sigh, the real world comes back on July 30...
__________________
TAT 2013 the "I'm Just Sayin" tour
BMW 2007 R1200R
2012 KTM 690 R
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #1777
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I see people backpacking staying in hostels. They live by the lonely planet book. I feel sorry for them. They just don't get the same experience you do on a moto.. with an idea for a plan.
Damn right ...

Tha saddest thing of all about backpackers, and lonely planet disciples ... is that they are all on package tours - but they cant see it. There is no independence about it at all. They stay at the same hostels, eat at the same restaurants, take the same buses as everyone else carrying the stupid book.

And they bump into each other, the same people, supposedly on independent trips, every few days.

Its a social / dating tour package, rather than a guide to freedom. It doesnt encourage independence, but quite the opposite. It entrenches dependence. They'd be lost without the book. The book becomes their package tour guide.

I avoid that type like the plague when I am on the road.
__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #1778
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Damn right ...

Tha saddest thing of all about backpackers, and lonely planet disciples ... is that they are all on package tours - but they cant see it. There is no independence about it at all. They stay at the same hostels, eat at the same restaurants, take the same buses as everyone else carrying the stupid book.

And they bump into each other, the same people, supposedly on independent trips, every few days.

Its a social / dating tour package, rather than a guide to freedom. It doesnt encourage independence, but quite the opposite. It entrenches dependence. They'd be lost without the book. The book becomes their package tour guide.

I avoid that type like the plague when I am on the road.
Usually those types figure out how to really travel after their first trip, but many times they never take another trip. You can find good backpackers, they're just not where you think they'll be.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #1779
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Usually those types figure out how to really travel after their first trip, but many times they never take another trip. You can find good backpackers, they're just not where you think they'll be.
True. Don't get me wrong here. I'm not dissing on anyone who travels. I have met many good backpackers. One older lady I met in Tashkent had been backpacking for 20+ years. She was looking at the Lonely planet book and we started chatting about it. She said most of the time she uses it as a guide where to avoid.

I meet many people who want to travel but don't want to step out of their comfort zone. The idea of pointing in a direction without a schedule is terrifying.

Right now I'm in UB. I will meet up with Guiltyparty (Craig and Patty) in Altai around the 13th. North route? south route? who knows. Maybe middle route?

So again.. sorry in advance for disappearing for a while. I need to get back into the wild to shake this post high-blues of traveling with Svetlana. Some camping, mud, sand, mountains and water crossings will do me good.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #1780
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,630
Tajikistan Video



A quick video I put together from Tajikistan. I keep forgetting to take footage but let me know what you think.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #1781
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer
 
Blue Icebreaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 88
Pamir highway is breathtaking. As for the tunnel, you rode pretty fast there. Did you ever think of going behind a car, just to use it as a shield - especially when many drivers are driving on the left side?
__________________
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. – Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #1782
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Pamir highway is breathtaking. As for the tunnel, you rode pretty fast there. Did you ever think of going behind a car, just to use it as a shield - especially when many drivers are driving on the left side?
I don't trust the cars. They stop with no warning. They swerve to avoid what they think will be bad. They have an air supply.. I don't. The air is so bad you want to GTFO as fast as possible. It is 6 km long with no ventilation. By the end of the tunnel I was dizzy.

I was not riding faster than I felt safe. If there was light.. I would have been going a lot faster.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #1783
travelingaustralian
Globe Trotting
 
travelingaustralian's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Off to South America
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Damn right ...

Tha saddest thing of all about backpackers, and lonely planet disciples ... is that they are all on package tours - but they cant see it. There is no independence about it at all. They stay at the same hostels, eat at the same restaurants, take the same buses as everyone else carrying the stupid book.

And they bump into each other, the same people, supposedly on independent trips, every few days.

Its a social / dating tour package, rather than a guide to freedom. It doesnt encourage independence, but quite the opposite. It entrenches dependence. They'd be lost without the book. The book becomes their package tour guide.

I avoid that type like the plague when I am on the road.

Colebatch you hit the nail on the head!!! I spent 4 years driving overland trucks around Africa taking these backpackers and lonely planet disciples from place to place. So many people took the lonely planet as the bible and would not take the word of someone that traveled or lived there and seen it first hand. People leave there brain's at home on these sorts of trips and if it were not for the fact I ran the trips there is no way I could do one. People miss out on so much. 90% of the time sleeping and only care for the next camp were they can get pissed!!!

Noah your on the right track and experiencing all that you can. I did the same thing in my mid 20's for almost the same reasons!!

I can't wait till I return home from my current contract before I hit the road again for my second RTW trip starting in March next year.

Keep up the great ride report!!
__________________
“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.”

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #1784
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
I can't wait till I return home from my current contract before I hit the road again for my second RTW trip starting in March next year.
Great! Send me a link when you start posting
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:04 AM   #1785
travelingaustralian
Globe Trotting
 
travelingaustralian's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Off to South America
Oddometer: 92
My current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Great! Send me a link when you start posting
Hey Noah. A link you might be interested in? current little write up.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886240
__________________
“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.”

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014