ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #1876
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MATT0404's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Oddometer: 139
Excellent read! I read from start to finish over the last couple days. Thanks for sharing, Noah, and safe travels.
__________________
2009 F800GS
2007 XR650L
2001 Super Sherpa
MATT0404 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #1877
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,642
Good news!

We made it to Irkutsk after an amazing fun offroad muddy track that cut off the need to go to Ulaan Ude. (Thanks Walter) At times the front tire was totally underwater. Good practice for the BAM

My new (used) rim was delivered to the shop here in Irkutsk a week ago. Note for those trying to ship to Russia.. Maybe used parts are easier? Took 1 week from UK to Irkutsk.

List of fixes to do before charging north into the BAM.

Engine oil, check valves, check clutch, for oil, bleed clutch, tires, weld luggage rack, install new rim. only 1 of 3 blinkers working.. I think that can wait.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #1878
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Banana Republic of Black Gold
Oddometer: 1,178
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for those last picture loaded updates.
Some of the best photos I've seen from Mongolia.
I know it is hard to update while on the road, you are doing an amazing job.
Keep having fun
__________________
SS. '98 BMW F650 / '06 WR250F / '07 KTM 990 Adv
Caracas, Venezuela
SS in Vzla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #1879
LethPhaos
brb
 
LethPhaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Belgistan
Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
<...>People always plan to travel when they retire. I am glad many of you get that chance. But I did not want to risk not making it to that point. I have changed so much in the past year.. good bad or ugly, my life will never be the same. It seems a shame to wait until I am old to learn about myself, the world and the people we share it with. No better time than now. I wanted to see the world before it is to fooked up to see. I wanted to experience culture before the western culture has infiltrated every last inch of the earth. No better time than now. <...>
Very well said, my thoughts exactly. Too bad I can't make trips of longer than a few weeks, but at least I have something awesome to look forward to next years.
__________________
| KTM 690 SMC RRP | Honda RD04 Africa Twin |
Balkan ADV - RR around Europe on the AT
Bacon trip log map
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #1880
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
Very well said, my thoughts exactly. Too bad I can't make trips of longer than a few weeks, but at least I have something awesome to look forward to next years.
I hope you get your trip.

A couple things that I have been finding very often.. construction. Both the northern and southern rout in Mongolia are getting paved. My guess is in 3 to 5 years Olgii to UB will have 2 complete paved routes. The Pamir is mostly paved. The trans siberian is paved. Soon everything will be paved. Also fuel.. prices will never go down.. we have peaked in our oil production. Its going to keep getting more and more expensive to do a trip like this. Do it while you can!
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #1881
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I hope you get your trip.

A couple things that I have been finding very often.. construction. Both the northern and southern rout in Mongolia are getting paved. My guess is in 3 to 5 years Olgii to UB will have 2 complete paved routes. The Pamir is mostly paved. The trans siberian is paved. Soon everything will be paved. Also fuel.. prices will never go down.. we have peaked in our oil production. Its going to keep getting more and more expensive to do a trip like this. Do it while you can!
Any chance you could talk to my wife?
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #1882
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Any chance you could talk to my wife?
Send me a pm with your email. I might be able to type a few words.

Best thing to do would be bring her with? Would she do it 2 up? on another bike? in a land rover?
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #1883
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Send me a pm with your email. I might be able to type a few words.

Best thing to do would be bring her with? Would she do it 2 up? on another bike? in a land rover?
Ha! I've spent more than a few nights reading her excerpts and showing her pics from this RR. And actually we just did 2500miles in the last two weeks. Almost had her convinced to go two-up on a Triumph Thruxton. Last minute decision was the Honda Element. Probably a better choice given what we did, but I’m pretty sure she’ll be up for something on the bike in the near future.


BTW, isn’t in great to think about how this idea you had has turned into something that influences other people’s lives in a good way?
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #1884
trail717
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Woodland Park Colorado
Oddometer: 78
690 noob

I’m in--& now all caught up---& reading your report while tracking the shipping of my new (to me) 690.
I bought it from an Inmatehttp://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900923and am a bit like a kid on Christmas eve.
Bike is in shipment from east coast to Colorado so while I wait reading a 690 RTW report has been great therapy

Also a bike question if you will—My current bike is a 640 enduro and I saw from earlier vid that you have spent time on a 640 Adventure—comments on how the 690 handles in technical terrain vs the 640?

Anyway, Noah you are forming lifetime memories, experiencing what most never will and at the same time creating a Advrider RR classic!!
Thanks for taking me along……& enjoy your adventure to the max!!

Cheers
Marshal
trail717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #1885
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
but I’m pretty sure she’ll be up for something on the bike in the near future.


BTW, isn’t in great to think about how this idea you had has turned into something that influences other people’s lives in a good way?
Many people had influenced my decision to quit my job and travel. The customers and contractors I had to deal with at my old job combined with the news of 2 or 3 more years at that same location with the same people got the ball rolling. The book "Another Day Everywhere" by the striking viking helped make the decision clear. Drinking one night with my brother in northern Minnesota, overlooking lake Superior, I realized I was not happily employed. That night before I passed out I saw a touratech catalog sitting on the table. The back cover was a RTW trip with Edelweiss motorcycle tours starting march of the next year. "I'm doing it".

Over the next 9 months my "buy a house" fund turned into my "RTW fund". I sold everything and decided to do it solo rather than with a group. I am super glad about this choice.

I am always humbled by the emails and messages I get. I never thought my trip would hit home with so many of you. Thank you all for love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail717 View Post
I’m in--& now all caught up---& reading your report while tracking the shipping of my new (to me) 690.
I bought it from an Inmatehttp://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900923and am a bit like a kid on Christmas eve.
Bike is in shipment from east coast to Colorado so while I wait reading a 690 RTW report has been great therapy

Also a bike question if you will—My current bike is a 640 enduro and I saw from earlier vid that you have spent time on a 640 Adventure—comments on how the 690 handles in technical terrain vs the 640?

Anyway, Noah you are forming lifetime memories, experiencing what most never will and at the same time creating a Advrider RR classic!!
Thanks for taking me along……& enjoy your adventure to the max!!

Cheers
Marshal
Cheers on the new bike! That is a nicely setup ADV weapon!

640 adv vs 690.
Although the 640 was an amazing machine, It always felt heavy in the front. Especially going down steap hills or that "ohshit" moment when you don't have enought time to stop before a washout and you need to lift the front. The 690 just seems so light and easy to ride. Especially offroad in technical areas when compared to the 640. Way (way way) less vibration, more power and more efficiency I have also enjoyed.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #1886
moto rrad
ADV n00b
 
moto rrad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: German land
Oddometer: 92
More of that good stuff I'm getting geared to go for my own month long euro-ADV. Not quite BAM, but some Romania should satisfy my off road itch.

Keep it comin' and thank you for taking the time to post from a tent in Mongolia.
__________________
Suzi XF650 "Freewind"
moto rrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #1887
Doogle
Studly Adventurer
 
Doogle's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Ohio-Cincinnati
Oddometer: 518
Noah, I don't recall where, but I think we crossed paths somewhere in Mongolia. I saw Igor and penny at the Oasis. I rode with them from Korea to a day east of Ulan Ude.

I'm dealing with my second break down now. 100 miles north of Athens my rear wheel broke. I think I have a replacement lined up Monday.

Keep them wheels turning.
Doug
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #1888
Wanted
Dead or Alive
 
Wanted's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 99
Hey man,

Just how reliable do you think this KTM 690 is? I know yours is now Fishfund's old one, and I know those models had a lot of problems with their fuel pumps etc. I have a 2013 690 Enduro R, but has most of the nitty gritty been smoothed out by now do you think?
Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #1889
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
Hey man,

Just how reliable do you think this KTM 690 is? I know yours is now Fishfund's old one, and I know those models had a lot of problems with their fuel pumps etc. I have a 2013 690 Enduro R, but has most of the nitty gritty been smoothed out by now do you think?
hmmm.. I wonder how much I will get this question?

I currently have 75,000 km. Here is my list of problems.

1st 690 (2010 690R)... 0 to 25,000 km.
tipped over.. radiator leak 4,000 km. California
broken chain. 20,000km. Yukon
touratech shit broke. (all the time)

2nd 690 (bought with 25,000km) 2008 enduro E
35k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead came loose. Morocco
48k km. Auto decompress/cam contacting exhaust roller taking off hardening. Exhaust and Intake rockers replaced. Istanbul.
50k km. Cam, auto decompress replaced to fix previous problem (also cam chian, bearings, and guides. just because i was in there) Georgia
51k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead broke. Azerbaijan.
60k km. Regulator Rectifier failed. Tajikistan.
63k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead came loose. Kyrgyzstan.
65k km. Leaking fork seals from dried mud on fork tubes. Cleaned them under them... and it fixed them.
66k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead broke. Russia.
69k km. Cracked front rim. I hit hard. I mean HARD. Mongolia
70k km. Auto decompress weight screw came loose. This allowed the weight to pull on the auto decomp shaft and over time the clip came out of the shaft groove. The shaft slid out of the cam slightly and the bike wouldn't start because there is to much compression. I didn't have the right clips so we fabricated one. Russia
73k km. Leaking fork seal.Dried mud. Fixed by cleaning under seal. Mongolia
75k km. Bike wouldn't start in Irkutsk a few days ago. (cant turn over). The clip had come off again. The auto decomp weight is now fooked because the screw had come loose and "oblonged" the hole. It has to much play and can pull on the decomp shaft making the simple clip fail. Today I made a Bushing/washer that tightened the slop in the weight. I had a new Clip sent in with the new rim. At the time I didn't know the weight was bad also. I'll ride it to Yakutsk where a friend will meet me with a new weight. Its a $14 part.

The dash in the E sucks. I've had it apart to clean/solder 3 or 4 times now. Istanbul, Georgia and Kyrgyzstan. I'll take the little R dash any day of the week.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #1890
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
hmmm.. I wonder how much I will get this question?

I currently have 75,000 km. Here is my list of problems.

1st 690 (2010 690R)... 0 to 25,000 km.
tipped over.. radiator leak 4,000 km. California
broken chain. 20,000km. Yukon
touratech shit broke. (all the time)

2nd 690 (bought with 25,000km) 2008 enduro E
35k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead came loose. Morocco
48k km. Auto decompress/cam contacting exhaust roller taking off hardening. Exhaust and Intake rockers replaced. Istanbul.
50k km. Cam, auto decompress replaced to fix previous problem (also cam chian, bearings, and guides. just because i was in there) Georgia
51k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead broke. Azerbaijan.
60k km. Regulator Rectifier failed. Tajikistan.
63k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead came loose. Kyrgyzstan.
65k km. Leaking fork seals from dried mud on fork tubes. Cleaned them under them... and it fixed them.
66k km. Ignition coil low voltage lead broke. Russia.
69k km. Cracked front rim. I hit hard. I mean HARD. Mongolia
70k km. Auto decompress weight screw came loose. This allowed the weight to pull on the auto decomp shaft and over time the clip came out of the shaft groove. The shaft slid out of the cam slightly and the bike wouldn't start because there is to much compression. I didn't have the right clips so we fabricated one. Russia
73k km. Leaking fork seal.Dried mud. Fixed by cleaning under seal. Mongolia
75k km. Bike wouldn't start in Irkutsk a few days ago. (cant turn over). The clip had come off again. The auto decomp weight is now fooked because the screw had come loose and "oblonged" the hole. It has to much play and can pull on the decomp shaft making the simple clip fail. Today I made a Bushing/washer that tightened the slop in the weight. I had a new Clip sent in with the new rim. At the time I didn't know the weight was bad also. I'll ride it to Yakutsk where a friend will meet me with a new weight. Its a $14 part.

The dash in the E sucks. I've had it apart to clean/solder 3 or 4 times now. Istanbul, Georgia and Kyrgyzstan. I'll take the little R dash any day of the week.
I'm guessing that your background as an engineer gives you a leg up on repairing your bike. It seem like you are pretty confident by now fixing things that go wrong. I think to attempt a RTW trip like yours, you have to be comfortable getting into the depths of the bike to figure things out. I remember seeing you bust out the volt meter in a previous post to work on the bike. I'm sure you used it at the motorcycle club in Russia to fix some of their outlets too. I have no idea how to work one of those. To me, it's a mystery box with wires. It's on my list of things to figure out how to work...

Having a laptop with a USB OBD port to plug in an figure out a fault code would be another tool that I'm guessing you would need on a trip like this.

Again, the simpler the bike the better on a trip like this. I would probably choose the 690 for this reason. I have not had good KTM luck in the past, but would consider one for this trip.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014