Oddometer: 607
V good vid

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #2102
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Are you running Mitas E09-Dakar, or standard?

How do they work on the 690? I had them on my Tenere and was very happy with the rear, not so much the front. Will try them on the KTM also.

Mileage?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #2103
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 343
Super cool vid Noah! Really love all your footage and photos, made even more impressive by your "eye" for great shots. Equipment, training, whatever helps, but what really matters is knowing where to point the lens in the first place, and you clearly got that down.

Question for you, & my bad if it's come up before. Did you normally wear contacts before you started the trip and switch to wearing glasses all the time? I wear contacts mostly and I'm thinking about how much of a pain it would be to lug a supply around and worry about finding more lenses and supplies in remote areas of the globe.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #2104
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
Are you running Mitas E09-Dakar, or standard?

How do they work on the 690? I had them on my Tenere and was very happy with the rear, not so much the front. Will try them on the KTM also.

Mileage?
Dakar I think? I have 9,000 km on them and the rear is warn flat. I pounded pavement from for 4,000 km after the BAM. I like this tire. Not as much as the 908 but I like it better then the Michelin Desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post
Super cool vid Noah! Really love all your footage and photos, made even more impressive by your "eye" for great shots. Equipment, training, whatever helps, but what really matters is knowing where to point the lens in the first place, and you clearly got that down.

Question for you, & my bad if it's come up before. Did you normally wear contacts before you started the trip and switch to wearing glasses all the time? I wear contacts mostly and I'm thinking about how much of a pain it would be to lug a supply around and worry about finding more lenses and supplies in remote areas of the globe.
I have a small prescription. 1.75 I think. I don't wear my glasses when I am snowboarding. I have never tried contact lenses. I don't like the idea of touching my eyes... especially when my hands are always dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
V good vid
Thanks!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #2105
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Crossing the Vitim

Aug. 15. Taksimo to Camping on the Kaunda River. 113 km
We had breakfast in the cafe attached to the hotel and got food in the grocery store. The first 40 or so km to the Vitim river turn off is a fast, sandy, wide graded road. But soon after the turn off, we started finding interesting bridges and flooded road. About 20 km from the Vitim, we met some local Russian guys in a Chevy Niva. Niva is the 4x4 Lada but apparently the new ones are Chevy? Who knows. We talked with these guys and told them our plans. They told us a German guy a motorcycle went into the Vitim and died a few weeks ago. It was an overblown story made from rumors. But still, not really the type of story you want to hear an hour before you ride the bridge. Luckily for Kim and I, Kurt was nice enough to dump his bike in a small rocky water crossing... he wanted to give us some time before the bridge. It had to much water in the exhaust to fire. We tried to lift the front tire but that didn't get enough out. He took the exhaust off at the 2 into 1 collector and the motor was able to push the water out and fire then. While he was working, I caught some huge fish in the pond next to the road. The best part of the whole thing? There was a road the went up by the RR track shown to us by a Russian couple on a Ural/sidecar combo. We could have avoided this crossing.

This is the one that you see Kim ride on the "part 1" video

There is a road there somewhere.

Kurt fixin the big girl.

When I would set the hook..they would fly out of the water behind me

Soon we were at the bridge and we started walking across it. Within the first 100 feet someone had burned 3 of the ties leaving a gap big enough to swallow a bike. It made us all nervous so we kept walking. Some people get to the bridge and ride across with out walking. This is crazy to me. We found a few more broken ties but they were near the end. On our way back across the bridge, a crowd was gathered. A group of Russians were camping close to the bridge who were on holiday from Moscow. We got to work fixing the bridge. 4 ties in total we replaced. Then we sat and drank tea with the Russians. One of them was trying to offer vodka. Really dude? You want to give me vodka . moments before I ride a bridge that could easily end my life? This is Russia. Before we were ready to go, we insisted that we remove the side stand from Kim's motorcycle. It had been catching slightly on some of the previous bridges. We didn't want to take any chances with his side stand getting snagged and ending the trip.

Pre-crossing tea party.

I went first. At first you are riding between the metal tie plates but after of the bridge, there are no more plates. This is when I stopped concentrating on where my tires were/keeping my balance. This is where I realized “oh fuck. I'm actually doing it. God damn that water is moving fast. I hear a train.. I want to look but I can't”. Then that moment lasts for much longer then you would think and soon you are at the middle. I pulled in the clutch, slowed down a little, let out the clutch as I started to climb the bump and rode off the other side. At this point I stopped being nervous This was what I was worried about. The last half of the bridge has wide gaps between the ties so you would think it would be more bumpy. I didn't notice much. Also there are wood planks on either side where 4x4 tires would be. This is no problem because you ride in the middle anyway. The last of the bridge has some messed up boards running parallel to the planks. They get very skinny. I was standing up the whole way across because otherwise I can't see my front tire/fender. There was one sketchy moment when I rubbed the boards on my right and had to lean the bike some. 100 feet from the end the boards stop and there was 1 more “widow maker” which you wont feel because you will be throttling to the gravel.

Kim then Kurt rode across with no problems. Soon we were riding through the town of Kaunda on the way to a great campsite on a bluff overlooking the Kaunda river. We were all happy and relieved to be done with the Vitim. We sat around a campfire spreading bullshit until after dark. We all slept well.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #2106
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,647
Great, great vid of the bridge crossing. I felt like I was right there. Good show!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #2107
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,217
That was some fast moving water!! Awesome vid Noah. Been looking forward to that for a long time. Done and done!!

Jeff G.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #2108
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,117
Every time I see a Vitim River Bridge crossing I hold my breath. There is no way in the world i would be able to do that crossing. I'd pass out from hypoxia.

Congrats, Noah. You've done something not everyone get to attempt.

Keep the report coming - I'm enjoying every post.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #2109
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 682
Awesome Video

Your RR is racking up a ton of front page pictures - I appreciate all the writing and photos you post understanding how much work that takes to do on top of all the travelling - thank you.

YK

Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #2110
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
Your RR is racking up a ton of front page pictures - I appreciate all the writing and photos you post understanding how much work that takes to do on top of all the travelling - thank you.

YK

I can't take credit for this one. Kim took it. I was filming.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #2111
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 682
As long as the good people on ADV can find your RR...

that is what counts cause this RR is a five star plus edition.

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #2112
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Fantastic!! I doubt I'd have the nerve to ride that bridge! Great video, great RR! Been in from the beginning..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #2113
BIF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Congat for your bridge crossing. Very cleaver approach. Now you are officially in Vitim bridge club!
BIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #2114
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 685
Are there Vitim River Bridge crossing patches? I would buy one that says, "I watched a vid of Noah crossing the Vitim".
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #2115
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,966
awesome crossing and given the locale the mouth harp as the musical prelude was quite appropriate...Russian Deliverance